all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* emacs24 problem of installation on Debian testing (jessie)
@ 2014-01-05 13:27 Joseph Vidal-Rosset
From: Joseph Vidal-Rosset @ 2014-01-05 13:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hello the list,

Here is the message error that I always meet when I try to install emacs24
on my Debian testing:

Des erreurs ont été rencontrées pendant l'exécution :
 emacs24
Échec de l'installation d'un paquet. Tentative de réparation :
Paramétrage de emacs24 (24.3+1-2+b1) ...
given is experimental at /usr/lib/emacsen-common/emacs-install line 36.
when is experimental at /usr/lib/emacsen-common/emacs-install line 38.
when is experimental at /usr/lib/emacsen-common/emacs-install line 39.
Install dictionaries-common for emacs24
install/dictionaries-common: Byte-compiling for emacsen flavour emacs24
Warning: arch-dependent data dir (/usr/lib/emacs/24.2/i686-linux-gnu/) does
not exist.
Warning: arch-independent data dir (/usr/share/emacs/24.2/etc/) does not
exist.
Warning: Lisp directory `/usr/share/emacs/24.2/site-lisp' does not exist.
Warning: Lisp directory `/usr/share/emacs/24.2/lisp' does not exist.
Warning: Lisp directory `/usr/share/emacs/24.2/leim' does not exist.
Error: charsets directory not found:
/usr/share/emacs/24.2/etc/charsets
Emacs will not function correctly without the character map files.
Please check your installation!
ERROR: install script from dictionaries-common package failed
dpkg: error processing package emacs24 (--configure):
 le sous-processus script post-installation installé a retourné une erreur
de sortie d'état 1
Des erreurs ont été rencontrées pendant l'exécution :
 emacs24

Of course I have tried  apt-get remove --purge emacs24  and I have many
tried to install emacs24 but without success.

Can someone could help me?

Best wishes,

Jo.

* Re: emacs24 problem of installation on Debian testing (jessie)
@ 2014-01-05 14:51 ` Ernest Adrogué
From: Ernest Adrogué @ 2014-01-05 14:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

2014-01- 5, 14:27 (+0100); Joseph Vidal-Rosset escriu:
> Hello the list,
>
> Here is the message error that I always meet when I try to install emacs24
> on my Debian testing:
>
> Des erreurs ont été rencontrées pendant l'exécution :
>  emacs24
> Échec de l'installation d'un paquet. Tentative de réparation :
> Paramétrage de emacs24 (24.3+1-2+b1) ...
> given is experimental at /usr/lib/emacsen-common/emacs-install line 36.
> when is experimental at /usr/lib/emacsen-common/emacs-install line 38.
> when is experimental at /usr/lib/emacsen-common/emacs-install line 39.
> Install dictionaries-common for emacs24
> install/dictionaries-common: Byte-compiling for emacsen flavour emacs24
> Warning: arch-dependent data dir (/usr/lib/emacs/24.2/i686-linux-gnu/) does
> not exist.
> Warning: arch-independent data dir (/usr/share/emacs/24.2/etc/) does not
> exist.
> Warning: Lisp directory `/usr/share/emacs/24.2/site-lisp' does not exist.
> Warning: Lisp directory `/usr/share/emacs/24.2/lisp' does not exist.
> Warning: Lisp directory `/usr/share/emacs/24.2/leim' does not exist.
> Error: charsets directory not found:
> /usr/share/emacs/24.2/etc/charsets
> Emacs will not function correctly without the character map files.
> Please check your installation!
> ERROR: install script from dictionaries-common package failed
> dpkg: error processing package emacs24 (--configure):
>  le sous-processus script post-installation installé a retourné une erreur
> de sortie d'état 1
> Des erreurs ont été rencontrées pendant l'exécution :
>  emacs24
>

> Of course I have tried  apt-get remove --purge emacs24  and I have many
> tried to install emacs24 but without success.

The Emacs version in Debian testing is 24.3 but here you can see that the
package manager is trying to install stuff in /usr/share/emacs/24.2.  This
looks like your list of available packages is outdated or somehow corrupted.

I would try:

apt-get purge '*emacs*'
dpkg --clear-avail
apt-get update
apt-get dist-upgrade
apt-get install emacs24

Hope it helps.

* Re: emacs24 problem of installation on Debian testing (jessie)
@ 2014-01-05 15:27   ` Joseph Vidal-Rosset
From: Joseph Vidal-Rosset @ 2014-01-05 15:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

2014/1/5 Ernest Adrogué <nfdisco@gmail.com>

> I would try:
>
> apt-get purge '*emacs*'
> dpkg --clear-avail
> apt-get update
> apt-get dist-upgrade
> apt-get install emacs24
>
> Hope it helps.

Thanks Ernest. Finally before receiving your email I have tried to remove
temporary "dictionaries-common" in order to install first emacs24.3. It was
a bad idea: I was after that unable to reinstall "dictionaries-common" and
emacs24.3 was not correctly installed.
I have lost patience and then I have decided to make a clean installation
of Debian testing.

But your message helps: I did not know the command "dpkg --clear-avail".

Anyway, many thanks for your kind help,

Best wishes, and happy new year,

@ 2014-01-05 16:21     ` Joseph Vidal-Rosset
From: Joseph Vidal-Rosset @ 2014-01-05 16:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hello Ernest, hello the list

I am sorry to say that, after a clean install of the last Debian testing
 and even the application of the command that you just gave to me, the
problem is always the same.

Best wishes

Jo.

@ 2014-01-05 16:47       ` Ernest Adrogué
From: Ernest Adrogué @ 2014-01-05 16:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi Joseph

2014-01- 5, 17:21 (+0100); Joseph Vidal-Rosset escriu:
> I am sorry to say that, after a clean install of the last Debian testing
>  and even the application of the command that you just gave to me, the
> problem is always the same.

What server are you installing from?

I am running Debian testing and haven't got this problem.

I use this mirror: http://ftp.nl.debian.org/debian/

Regards.

* Re: emacs24 problem of installation on Debian testing (jessie)
@ 2014-01-05 17:14         ` Bob Proulx
From: Bob Proulx @ 2014-01-05 17:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hello Joseph,

Ernest Adrogué wrote:
> Hi Joseph
>
> Joseph Vidal-Rosset escriu:
> > I am sorry to say that, after a clean install of the last Debian testing
> >  and even the application of the command that you just gave to me, the
> > problem is always the same.
>
> What server are you installing from?

On Debian this command is useful for determining which server emacs is
coming from.

  apt-cache policy emacs emacs24

> I am running Debian testing and haven't got this problem.

Works for me too without any problems.  I guess that there is an
incompatible 3rd party package source in the /etc/apt/sources.list or
/etc/apt/sources.list.d/* files.  The version should be 24.3.  If it
is any other version then it isn't coming from the Debian package
repository and some problem with the sources.list must be suspected.

Since this is Debian specific the best place for help would be on the
debian-user@lists.debian.org mailing list.  Just so all of us Debian
folks don't annoy the rest. :-)

Bob

* Re: emacs24 problem of installation on Debian testing (jessie)
@ 2014-01-06  1:22 ` hubert
       [not found]   ` <mailman.11185.1389000730.10748.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: hubert @ 2014-01-06  1:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Sun, 5 Jan 2014 14:27:16 +0100, Joseph Vidal-Rosset <joseph.vidal.rosset@gmail.com> said:

[...]
> Install dictionaries-common for emacs24 install/dictionaries-common:
> Byte-compiling for emacsen flavour emacs24 Warning: arch-dependent
> data dir (/usr/lib/emacs/24.2/i686-linux-gnu/) does not exist.
> Warning: arch-independent data dir (/usr/share/emacs/24.2/etc/) does
> not exist.  Warning: Lisp directory `/usr/share/emacs/24.2/site-lisp'
> does not exist.  Warning: Lisp directory `/usr/share/emacs/24.2/lisp'
> does not exist.  Warning: Lisp directory `/usr/share/emacs/24.2/leim'
> does not exist.  Error: charsets directory not found:
> /usr/share/emacs/24.2/etc/charsets Emacs will not function correctly
> without the character map files.  Please check your installation!
> ERROR: install script from dictionaries-common package failed dpkg:
> error processing package emacs24 (--configure): le sous-processus
> script post-installation installé a retourné une erreur de sortie
> d'état 1 Des erreurs ont été rencontrées pendant l'exécution : emacs24

The error happens when emacs is byte-compiling the files from
dictionaries-common, so see if you can install a newer version of
dictionaries-common.

--
Hubert Chathi - Email/Jabber: hubert@uhoreg.ca - http://www.uhoreg.ca/
PGP/GnuPG key: 4096R/113A1368 (Key available at pool.sks-keyservers.net)

* Re: emacs24 problem of installation on Debian testing (jessie)
@ 2014-01-06  9:31   ` Joseph Vidal-Rosset
       [not found]   ` <mailman.11185.1389000730.10748.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Joseph Vidal-Rosset @ 2014-01-06  9:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: hubert; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Hello Huber, Ernest, Bob, and the list,

Many thanks for your kind help.

I have finally discovered the error. I had try to build emacs from sources
and the emacs bin in /usr/local/ prevented a clean install of the Debian
package. It was simple, but it was very long and hard for me to understand
what happened !

Many thanks to all of you !

@ 2014-01-06  9:51     ` Emanuel Berg
From: Emanuel Berg @ 2014-01-06  9:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

writes:

> I have finally discovered the error. I had try to
> build emacs from sources and the emacs bin in
> /usr/local/ prevented a clean install of the Debian
> package. It was simple, but it was very long and hard
> for me to understand what happened!

You are not the only one. 'aptitude' (and the related
tools) are great for doing the basic stuff, but when
you want to take a look under the hood you are
instantly lost. With 'whereis emacs' in zsh you get:

emacs: /usr/bin/emacs /etc/emacs /usr/lib/emacs
/usr/bin/X11/emacs /usr/share/emacs
/usr/share/man/man1/emacs.1.gz

And that's not all, because you can get even more paths
(corresponding but nonetheless) with 'whereis emacs23'
and so on.

But it makes sense. The tools are simple but the jungle
beneath is not, and does not pretend to be, either.

--
underground experts united:
http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573

* Re: emacs24 problem of installation on Debian testing (jessie)
@ 2014-01-06 16:38     ` Bob Proulx
From: Bob Proulx @ 2014-01-06 16:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Joseph Vidal-Rosset wrote:
> I have finally discovered the error. I had try to build emacs from sources
> and the emacs bin in /usr/local/ prevented a clean install of the Debian
> package. It was simple, but it was very long and hard for me to understand
> what happened !

I am happy to hear that you have solved your problem.  You might
consider reporting a bug to the Debian emacs package concerning the
problem of a local emacs affecting the build.  Having a version
/usr/local/bin/emacs shouldn't prevent the system packaged emacs from
installing.  They could be separate from each other.

I once submitted a similar bug and the Debian package maintainer was
very responsive.  We quickly determined that one particular elisp file
didn't like being byte compiled by emacs21 that I still had installed
on my system from long ago.  Personally after finding that I was happy
to remove emacs21 and just move along but the package maintainer added
code in the postinstall script to handle that case going forward.  It
was really a win-win.

Bob