all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* parsing
@ 2006-12-14 11:27 A Soare
From: A Soare @ 2006-12-14 11:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

Can anybody recommend me a course of parsing theory, useful to understand EMACS parsers (separately LISP parser, and, on the other hand, the parsers associated to every major mode, given by a syntax that can be modified).

Thanks in advance.

* Parsing
@ 2014-11-30  8:47 Bix
From: Bix @ 2014-11-30  8:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi,
googling around I found that one suggested method for parsing is to use
Senator, but so far I find the documentation a bit complicated for me
and not very clear. It's probably my limitation, I'm using ANTLR on other
context.

Can you point me out some simple example to start with that I could
follow?

Kindest Regards
f.

* Re: Parsing
@ 2014-11-30 15:01 ` Emanuel Berg
From: Emanuel Berg @ 2014-11-30 15:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Bix <spam@nothing.invalid> writes:

> Hi, googling around I found that one suggested
> method for parsing is to use Senator, but so far I
> find the documentation a bit complicated for me and
> not very clear. It's probably my limitation, I'm
> using ANTLR on other context.

What do you want to parse? (Or even better: what
problem do you want to solve?)

Are we talking parsing as in CS compiler design or
just putting together a bunch of commands with pipes
in between? Or extracting data from some markup? Or
what?

(ANTLR = ANother Tool for Language Recognition)

--
underground experts united

* Re: Parsing
@ 2014-11-30 19:28   ` Bix
From: Bix @ 2014-11-30 19:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> Bix <spam@nothing.invalid> writes:
>
>> Hi, googling around I found that one suggested
>> method for parsing is to use Senator, but so far I
>> find the documentation a bit complicated for me and
>> not very clear. It's probably my limitation, I'm
>> using ANTLR on other context.
>
> What do you want to parse? (Or even better: what
> problem do you want to solve?)
>
> Are we talking parsing as in CS compiler design or
> just putting together a bunch of commands with pipes
> in between? Or extracting data from some markup? Or
> what?

I like to convert a test file that pertain to some grammar into
the relative AST, so I think that parsing as in CS  compiler design is the
closer description, but I may be wrong.
Then I need some api to navigate the AST generated, or more simple do
some walking on the AST generated.

Kindest Regards.
Bix.

* Re: Parsing
@ 2014-11-30 19:44     ` Emanuel Berg
       [not found]     ` <mailman.15018.1417377907.1147.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Emanuel Berg @ 2014-11-30 19:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Bix <spam@nothing.invalid> writes:

> I like to convert a test file that pertain to some
> grammar into the relative AST, so I think that
> parsing as in CS compiler design is the closer
> description, but I may be wrong. Then I need some
> api to navigate the AST generated, or more simple do
> some walking on the AST generated.

Yeah, that sounds advanced. I can't help you, but good
luck. Check the Emacs-wiki and the ELPAs - perhaps you
find something.

--

@ 2014-11-30 20:04     ` David Engster
       [not found]     ` <mailman.15018.1417377907.1147.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: David Engster @ 2014-11-30 20:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Bix writes:
> I like to convert a test file that pertain to some grammar into
> the relative AST, so I think that parsing as in CS  compiler design is the
> closer description, but I may be wrong.
> Then I need some api to navigate the AST generated, or more simple do
> some walking on the AST generated.

The tool you're looking for is Semantic, not Senator. It contains a
simple LL parser called "Bovine" and a more advanced LALR parser which
is pretty much a port of Bison to Emacs Lisp, called "Wisent". If you
get the latest Emacs 24.4 you should find the documentation for them in
the accompanied info files (do 'C-h i'). If you want to get an
impression of the AST that is produced, load a simple C file, do 'M-x
semantic' and then 'M-x bovinate'. For further questions, the best place
to ask is the CEDET mailing list

http://sourceforge.net/p/cedet/mailman/

(also available on Gmane as gmane.emacs.cedet).

-David

* Re: Parsing
       [not found]     ` <mailman.15018.1417377907.1147.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2014-11-30 20:22       ` Bix
From: Bix @ 2014-11-30 20:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

David Engster <deng@randomsample.de> writes:

> The tool you're looking for is Semantic, not Senator. It contains a
> simple LL parser called "Bovine" and a more advanced LALR parser which
> is pretty much a port of Bison to Emacs Lisp, called "Wisent". If you
> get the latest Emacs 24.4 you should find the documentation for them in
> the accompanied info files (do 'C-h i'). If you want to get an
> impression of the AST that is produced, load a simple C file, do 'M-x
> semantic' and then 'M-x bovinate'. For further questions, the best place
> to ask is the CEDET mailing list
>
> http://sourceforge.net/p/cedet/mailman/
>
> (also available on Gmane as gmane.emacs.cedet).
>
> -David

Thanks a lot I'll look at it.

Cheers.