all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Emms: how to display the current track?
@ 2015-02-15  9:58 Marcin Borkowski
From: Marcin Borkowski @ 2015-02-15  9:58 UTC (permalink / raw

Hello,

so I started using Emms, and miss one functionality: I'd like to be able
to display the artist/title of the currently playing track in the echo
area (I know I can M-x emms, but I want something more lightweight, not
changing my window layout).

Is there such a function built-in?  I apropos'ed strings like "info",
"display", "current", but to no avail.

Regards,

--
Marcin Borkowski
Adam Mickiewicz University

* Re: Emms: how to display the current track?
@ 2015-02-15 10:05 ` Alexis
From: Alexis @ 2015-02-15 10:05 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On 2015-02-15T20:58:39+1100, Marcin Borkowski said:

 MB> so I started using Emms, and miss one functionality: I'd like
 to MB> be able to display the artist/title of the currently
 playing MB> track in the echo area (I know I can M-x emms, but I
 want MB> something more lightweight, not changing my window
 layout).

 MB> Is there such a function built-in?  I apropos'ed strings like
 MB> "info", "display", "current", but to no avail.

 MB> Regards,

emms-show

Alexis.

* Re: Emms: how to display the current track?
@ 2015-02-15 10:52   ` Marcin Borkowski
From: Marcin Borkowski @ 2015-02-15 10:52 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On 2015-02-15, at 11:05, Alexis <flexibeast@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 2015-02-15T20:58:39+1100, Marcin Borkowski said:
>
>  MB> so I started using Emms, and miss one functionality: I'd like
>  to MB> be able to display the artist/title of the currently
>  playing MB> track in the echo area (I know I can M-x emms, but I
>  want MB> something more lightweight, not changing my window
>  layout).
>
>  MB> Is there such a function built-in?  I apropos'ed strings like
>  MB> "info", "display", "current", but to no avail.
>
>  MB> Regards,
>
> emms-show

Thanks!  That was what I was looking for.

> Alexis.

Best,

--

@ 2015-02-15 22:23     ` Marcin Borkowski
From: Marcin Borkowski @ 2015-02-15 22:23 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On 2015-02-15, at 11:52, Marcin Borkowski <mbork@wmi.amu.edu.pl> wrote:

> On 2015-02-15, at 11:05, Alexis <flexibeast@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On 2015-02-15T20:58:39+1100, Marcin Borkowski said:
>>
>>  MB> so I started using Emms, and miss one functionality: I'd like
>>  to MB> be able to display the artist/title of the currently
>>  playing MB> track in the echo area (I know I can M-x emms, but I
>>  want MB> something more lightweight, not changing my window
>>  layout).
>>
>>  MB> Is there such a function built-in?  I apropos'ed strings like
>>  MB> "info", "display", "current", but to no avail.
>>
>>  MB> Regards,
>>
>> emms-show
>
> Thanks!  That was what I was looking for.

OK, so now I'm looking for one more: a function which would return the
status of the player (stopped/playing/paused).

TIA,

--

@ 2015-02-16  1:45       ` Alexis
From: Alexis @ 2015-02-16  1:45 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On 2015-02-16T09:23:50+1100, Marcin Borkowski said:

 MB> OK, so now I'm looking for one more: a function which would
 MB> return the status of the player (stopped/playing/paused).

i can't help with that one, i'm afraid, even after a quick scan
through the list of emms- functions. Sorry! But you might like to
ask about this on the emms-help list; i've found the maintainer to
be responsive and helpful. :-)

Alexis.

* Re: Emms: how to display the current track?
@ 2015-02-16  3:00     ` Robert Thorpe
From: Robert Thorpe @ 2015-02-16  3:00 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Marcin Borkowski; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Marcin Borkowski <mbork@wmi.amu.edu.pl> writes:

> On 2015-02-15, at 11:05, Alexis <flexibeast@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On 2015-02-15T20:58:39+1100, Marcin Borkowski said:
>>
>>  MB> so I started using Emms, and miss one functionality: I'd like
>>  to MB> be able to display the artist/title of the currently
>>  playing MB> track in the echo area (I know I can M-x emms, but I
>>  want MB> something more lightweight, not changing my window
>>  layout).
>>
>>  MB> Is there such a function built-in?  I apropos'ed strings like
>>  MB> "info", "display", "current", but to no avail.
>>
>>  MB> Regards,
>>
>> emms-show
>
> Thanks!  That was what I was looking for.

Emms has an info manual.  It describes things like this.

BR,
Robert Thorpe

* Re: Emms: how to display the current track?
@ 2015-02-16  9:20       ` Marcin Borkowski
From: Marcin Borkowski @ 2015-02-16  9:20 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On 2015-02-16, at 04:00, Robert Thorpe <rt@robertthorpeconsulting.com> wrote:

> Emms has an info manual.  It describes things like this.

Ooh, thank you.  And there's the source code.  I have no idea why this
list exists in the first place.

And to stop being a jerk, let me mention that I read the manual two or
three times, and somehow missed that.  I did what is usually advised -
"ask the system" - grepping (actually, icicling;-)) the emms-* functions
(as I said in the first email).

OTOH, I find the manual for Emms... strangely organized.  It's not
/bad/, but it's strange.  There are more than one section devoted (at
least partially) to installation: "installation", "simple setup",
"configuration" and "quickstart guide".  It doesn't explain exactly what
the "browser" is and how it relates to the playlist visible after M-x
emms.  The "detailed node listing" is /not/ an extension of the "menu",
as is customary in info manuals.  So - while technically you are right -
the manual is imho not exactly /that/ friendly, and it's rather easy to
get lost in it.

> BR,
> Robert Thorpe

Best,

--

@ 2015-02-16 14:01       ` Alex Kost
From: Alex Kost @ 2015-02-16 14:01 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Marcin Borkowski; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Marcin Borkowski (2015-02-16 01:23 +0300) wrote:

> On 2015-02-15, at 11:52, Marcin Borkowski <mbork@wmi.amu.edu.pl> wrote:
>
> OK, so now I'm looking for one more: a function which would return the
> status of the player (stopped/playing/paused).

There are 2 variables for that:

- `emms-player-playing-p' (shows if a player is stopped or not);
- `emms-player-paused-p'.

--
Alex