all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Column width for web pages in eww or w3m
@ 2017-06-14 14:58 Narendra Joshi
From: Narendra Joshi @ 2017-06-14 14:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi,

I use elfeed and Gnus. I would like to be able to read articles in
Emacs. Most of the articles spread across the width of Emacs windows. I
would like to limit the column upto which text is shown to say 80. That
would make reading easier for me. I don't like having a huge number of
words in a single line of the buffer. How can I achieve this?

Best,
--
Narendra Joshi

* Re: Column width for web pages in eww or w3m
@ 2017-06-14 15:50 ` Oleg Pykhalov
From: Oleg Pykhalov @ 2017-06-14 15:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Narendra Joshi; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Hi Narendra,

Narendra Joshi <narendraj9@gmail.com> writes:

> Hi,
>
> I use elfeed and Gnus. I would like to be able to read articles in
> Emacs. Most of the articles spread across the width of Emacs windows. I
> would like to limit the column upto which text is shown to say 80. That
> would make reading easier for me. I don't like having a huge number of
> words in a single line of the buffer. How can I achieve this?

I use (setq shr-width 80) for eww.

@ 2017-06-15  6:32 ` Emanuel Berg
From: Emanuel Berg @ 2017-06-15  6:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Narendra Joshi <narendraj9@gmail.com> writes:

> I use elfeed and Gnus. I would like to be able to
> read articles in Emacs. Most of the articles spread
> across the width of Emacs windows. I would like to
> limit the column upto which text is shown to say 80.
> That would make reading easier for me. I don't like
> having a huge number of words in a single line of
> the buffer. How can I achieve this?

Try this:

    (setq message-fill-column 54)

--
underground experts united
http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573

* Re: Column width for web pages in eww or w3m
@ 2017-06-15  6:41   ` Eric Abrahamsen
From: Eric Abrahamsen @ 2017-06-15  6:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Emanuel Berg <moasen@zoho.com> writes:

> Narendra Joshi <narendraj9@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> I use elfeed and Gnus. I would like to be able to
>> read articles in Emacs. Most of the articles spread
>> across the width of Emacs windows. I would like to
>> limit the column upto which text is shown to say 80.
>> That would make reading easier for me. I don't like
>> having a huge number of words in a single line of
>> the buffer. How can I achieve this?
>
> Try this:
>
>     (setq message-fill-column 54)

That would affect message composition buffers, right? I understood the
OP to be asking about reading articles, in which case "W Q" might be
what the doctor ordered.

Eric

* Re: Column width for web pages in eww or w3m
@ 2017-06-15  7:55     ` Emanuel Berg
From: Emanuel Berg @ 2017-06-15  7:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> That would affect message composition buffers,
> right? I understood the OP to be asking about
> reading articles, in which case "W Q" might be what
> the doctor ordered.

Right...

But why do my articles get filled tightly?

I have

    ;; (setq gnus-article-prepare-hook nil)
    (defun gnus-article-prepare-hook-f ()
      (gnus-with-article-buffer
        (gnus-article-wash-more) )
      (gnus-article-hide-signature nil 1)
      (gnus-article-fill-cited-article) )
    (add-hook 'gnus-article-prepare-hook #'gnus-article-prepare-hook-f)

From where does `gnus-article-fill-cited-article' take
its data? Answer: `fill-column'.

--

@ 2017-06-15 19:53     ` Narendra Joshi
From: Narendra Joshi @ 2017-06-15 19:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric Abrahamsen; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

> Emanuel Berg <moasen@zoho.com> writes:
>
>> Narendra Joshi <narendraj9@gmail.com> writes:
>>
>>> I use elfeed and Gnus. I would like to be able to
>>> read articles in Emacs. Most of the articles spread
>>> across the width of Emacs windows. I would like to
>>> limit the column upto which text is shown to say 80.
>>> That would make reading easier for me. I don't like
>>> having a huge number of words in a single line of
>>> the buffer. How can I achieve this?
>>
>> Try this:
>>
>>     (setq message-fill-column 54)
>
> That would affect message composition buffers, right? I understood the
> OP to be asking about reading articles, in which case "W Q" might be
> what the doctor ordered.
What is the doctor and how did you use it?

--

@ 2017-06-15 21:10       ` Emanuel Berg
From: Emanuel Berg @ 2017-06-15 21:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Narendra Joshi wrote:

>> That would affect message composition
>> buffers, right? I understood the OP to be
>> asking about reading articles, in which case
>> "W Q" might be what the doctor ordered.
>
> What is the doctor and how did you use it?

They call him Dr. Feelgood.