all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Is it worth leaving el-get for melpa
@ 2017-11-03 22:50 Deric Bytes
From: Deric Bytes @ 2017-11-03 22:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

I am using el-get, should I just stick with it or move it all over to melpa.

Do I gain or lose anything from switching?
Can I easily select the latest git repos through the melpa interface?
Anyone else made the switch from being a dedicated el-get user to melpa?

* RE: Is it worth leaving el-get for melpa
@ 2017-11-03 23:19 ` Drew Adams
       [not found] ` <mailman.2874.1509751172.27995.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Drew Adams @ 2017-11-03 23:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Deric Bytes, help-gnu-emacs

> I am using el-get, should I just stick with it or move it all over to
> melpa.
>
> Do I gain or lose anything from switching?
> Can I easily select the latest git repos through the melpa interface?
> Anyone else made the switch from being a dedicated el-get user to melpa?

This Emacs-Wiki page speaks to some of the differences:
https://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/el-get

@ 2017-11-04  0:44   ` Deric Bytes
       [not found]     ` <mailman.2882.1509774912.27995.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Deric Bytes @ 2017-11-04  0:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Thanks Drew. There wiki has no dates, so I never know how relevant it is. Also, I knew about those differences when choosing el-get but wondered if anything had changed. I had recently looked at el-get and noticed that the core lisp code seemed unchanged for 2 years.

https://github.com/dimitri/el-get

And noticed that melpa had some git fetcher tags

https://github.com/melpa/melpa

:fetcher specifies the type of repository that :url or :repo points to. Melpa supports git, github, gitlab, hg (Mercurial), and wiki (for packages from Emacswiki.org).

@ 2017-11-04  0:55 ` Deric Bytes
From: Deric Bytes @ 2017-11-04  0:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi Drew, I found that there is a last updated message at the bottom. That article is over a year and a half old

Última vez editado 2016-04-13 22:40 UTC

* Re: Is it worth leaving el-get for melpa
@ 2017-11-04  5:54     ` N. Raghavendra
       [not found]     ` <mailman.2882.1509774912.27995.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: N. Raghavendra @ 2017-11-04  5:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

At 2017-11-03T17:44:13-07:00, Deric Bytes wrote:

> I had recently looked at el-get and noticed that the core lisp code
> seemed unchanged for 2 years.

That is perhaps because it is a stable package, which works as expected,
and does not need any fundamental change.  Most of the additions to
El-Get now are either new recipes for packages, or modifications of
existing recipes.

Since the last few years, I have been using El-Get to manage the
installation of packages, and `use-package' to manage their
configuration.  With forms like

(el-get-bundle emacs-w3m
  :type github
  :pkgname "emacsmirror/w3m"
  :build `(("autoconf")
           ("./configure" ,(concat "--with-emacs=" el-get-emacs))
           ("make"))
  :info "doc")

(el-get-bundle emms :url "foo@bar.net:emms.git")

(el-get-bundle mediawiki
  :type github
  :pkgname "hexmode/mediawiki-el")

(el-get-bundle pdf-tools :checkout "2eaffae69a0b9f51b2740b0d6dd795088529e683")

in my init file, I can specify the sources of packages, the commands for
building them, their versions, etc.  This system has been working well,
and I have not needed to use another package manager.  In particular, I
don't use either the built in package system, or MELPA.

You may also want to look at

https://github.com/raxod502/straight.el#advantages-of-el-get

Regards,
Raghu.

--
N. Raghavendra <raghu@hri.res.in>, http://www.retrotexts.net/
Harish-Chandra Research Institute, http://www.hri.res.in/

@ 2017-11-04 16:04       ` Deric Bytes
From: Deric Bytes @ 2017-11-04 16:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Thanks Raghu.

I use el-get in the same manner. I was wondering if there was a better alternative.

* Re: Is it worth leaving el-get for melpa
@ 2017-11-04 22:57   ` Emanuel Berg
From: Emanuel Berg @ 2017-11-04 22:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Deric Bytes wrote:

> I found that there is a last updated message
> at the bottom. That article is over a year
> and a half old

I think you can still trust it despite being so
recently compiled information.

(Emacs is from 1976-, and Lisp from 1958-!)

--
underground experts united
http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573

* Re: Is it worth leaving el-get for melpa
@ 2017-11-09 21:47     ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2017-11-09 21:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs