all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* auto-fill in message mode filling with prefix "> "
@ 2018-01-02 16:23 Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2018-01-02 16:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hello,

I use emacs snapshot on Debian.  Recently, but cannot say when exactly,
my email composition has started behaving strangely with respect to
auto-fill mode.  Specifically, if I'm responding to an email, as I type,
long lines get auto-filled with "> " as the prefix.  The first line of
the paragraph does *not* start with "> " and I usually have at least one
blank line between the paragraph I am typing and any included text from
the original email.

I have searched my configuration for anything that would affect this but
I have nothing.  When it comes to auto-fill, I've left everything as
default as far as I can tell.

Any suggestions on how to track this down would be welcome.

Thank you.
--
Eric S Fraga via Emacs 27.0.50, org 9.1.6

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: auto-fill in message mode filling with prefix "> "
@ 2018-01-02 16:34 ` Eric Abrahamsen
From: Eric Abrahamsen @ 2018-01-02 16:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> Hello,
>
> I use emacs snapshot on Debian.  Recently, but cannot say when exactly,
> my email composition has started behaving strangely with respect to
> auto-fill mode.  Specifically, if I'm responding to an email, as I type,
> long lines get auto-filled with "> " as the prefix.  The first line of
> the paragraph does *not* start with "> " and I usually have at least one
> blank line between the paragraph I am typing and any included text from
> the original email.

There was a thread not too long ago about this, but now I can't for the
life of me find it. I only glanced over the thread (I saw this problem,
too, but only once or twice), but my impression was that someone had
figured it out. I think if you just wait a bit, the fix will come down
to you.

Sorry to be unhelpful...

Eric

* Re: auto-fill in message mode filling with prefix "> "
@ 2018-01-02 16:43   ` Eli Zaretskii
       [not found]   ` <mailman.6713.1514911411.27995.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2018-01-02 16:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> From: Eric Abrahamsen <eric@ericabrahamsen.net>
> Date: Tue, 02 Jan 2018 08:34:36 -0800
>
> There was a thread not too long ago about this, but now I can't for the
> life of me find it.

  http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/bug-gnu-emacs/2017-12/msg00665.html

(and bug#29767 in general).

And no, I don't think we have a solution for that yet.

* Re: auto-fill in message mode filling with prefix "> "
@ 2018-01-02 16:46     ` Eric Abrahamsen
From: Eric Abrahamsen @ 2018-01-02 16:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

>> From: Eric Abrahamsen <eric@ericabrahamsen.net>
>> Date: Tue, 02 Jan 2018 08:34:36 -0800
>>
>> There was a thread not too long ago about this, but now I can't for the
>> life of me find it.
>
>   http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/bug-gnu-emacs/2017-12/msg00665.html
>
> (and bug#29767 in general).
>
> And no, I don't think we have a solution for that yet.

I was doubly unhelpful! Thanks for the link.

* Re: auto-fill in message mode filling with prefix "> "
@ 2018-01-02 16:47   ` Eric S Fraga
       [not found]   ` <mailman.6713.1514911411.27995.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2018-01-02 16:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Tuesday,  2 Jan 2018 at 08:34, Eric Abrahamsen wrote:
> There was a thread not too long ago about this, but now I can't for the
> life of me find it. I only glanced over the thread (I saw this problem,
> too, but only once or twice), but my impression was that someone had
> figured it out. I think if you just wait a bit, the fix will come down
> to you.

Thanks; this helps as it does mean I am not going crazy! ;-)

I'll look for it but hopefully somebody will respond here in case I
cannot find it!

--

@ 2018-01-02 17:01     ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2018-01-02 17:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Tuesday,  2 Jan 2018 at 18:43, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
>   http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/bug-gnu-emacs/2017-12/msg00665.html
>
> (and bug#29767 in general).
>
> And no, I don't think we have a solution for that yet.

Thanks.  This bug is exactly what I am experiencing, including the

--

@ 2018-01-02 17:46 ` Narendra Joshi
From: Narendra Joshi @ 2018-01-02 17:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric S Fraga; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

> Hello,
>
> I use emacs snapshot on Debian.  Recently, but cannot say when exactly,
> my email composition has started behaving strangely with respect to
> auto-fill mode.  Specifically, if I'm responding to an email, as I type,
> long lines get auto-filled with "> " as the prefix.  The first line of
> the paragraph does *not* start with "> " and I usually have at least one
> blank line between the paragraph I am typing and any included text from
> the original email.
>
> I have searched my configuration for anything that would affect this but
> I have nothing.  When it comes to auto-fill, I've left everything as
> default as far as I can tell.
>
> Any suggestions on how to track this down would be welcome.
Are you able to reproduce this in Emacs started with `emacs -Q`?

--
Narendra Joshi

* Re: auto-fill in message mode filling with prefix "> "
@ 2018-01-02 18:14   ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2018-01-02 18:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Tuesday,  2 Jan 2018 at 23:16, Narendra Joshi wrote:

[...]

> Are you able to reproduce this in Emacs started with `emacs -Q`?

That would be challenging.

In any case, others have pointed me to the bug list for emacs.  It seems
that this is a known bug for which there is not yet a fix:

  https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/bug-gnu-emacs/2017-12/msg00665.html

Thank you.

--

@ 2018-01-02 18:38     ` HASM
       [not found]       ` <mailman.6724.1514918672.27995.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: HASM @ 2018-01-02 18:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

>> There was a thread not too long ago about this, but now I can't for the
>> life of me find it.

>   http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/bug-gnu-emacs/2017-12/msg00665.html
> (and bug#29767 in general).
> And no, I don't think we have a solution for that yet.

Maybe use the old filladapt (worked great on XEmacs) while those bugs
get fixed.

-- HASM

* Re: auto-fill in message mode filling with prefix "> "
@ 2018-01-02 18:44       ` Eric S Fraga
       [not found]       ` <mailman.6724.1514918672.27995.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2018-01-02 18:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Tuesday,  2 Jan 2018 at 10:38, HASM wrote:

[...]

> Maybe use the old filladapt (worked great on XEmacs) while those bugs
> get fixed.

Thanks.  I might do just that.  For the moment, I have turned off
auto-fill and simply fill the paragraphs when I'm done.  Paragraph
filling seems to work just fine.

--

@ 2018-01-03  1:29         ` HASM
From: HASM @ 2018-01-03  1:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

>> Maybe use the old filladapt (worked great on XEmacs) while those bugs
>> get fixed.

> For the moment, I have turned off auto-fill and simply fill the
> paragraphs when I'm done.  Paragraph filling seems to work just fine.

Emacs filling is different from filladapt in one annoying way, even
running with -Q thus probably not my setup.

If you type something like

line1 word1 word2
  indentedLine2 word1 word2
line3 word1 word2

and then, with the cursor anywhere on line3, invoke fill-paragrah, you
end up with:

line1 word1 word2 indentedLine2 word1 word2 line3 word1 word2

whereas, filladapt leaves it as displayed.  And yes, emacs auto-fill
also doesn't handle line tags properly.

-- HASM

* Re: auto-fill in message mode filling with prefix "> "
       [not found] <mailman.6710.1514910241.27995.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2018-01-03  9:16 ` Gijs Hillenius
       [not found]   ` <mailman.6775.1514999293.27995.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Gijs Hillenius @ 2018-01-03  9:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On  2 Jan 2018, Eric S. Fraga wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I use emacs snapshot on Debian.  Recently, but cannot say when
> exactly, my email composition has started behaving strangely with
> respect to auto-fill mode.  Specifically, if I'm responding to an
> email, as I type, long lines get auto-filled with "> " as the prefix.
> The first line of the paragraph does *not* start with "> " and I
> usually have at least one blank line between the paragraph I am typing
> and any included text from the original email.
>
> I have searched my configuration for anything that would affect this
> but I have nothing.  When it comes to auto-fill, I've left everything
> as default as far as I can tell.
>
> Any suggestions on how to track this down would be welcome.

I'm using Emacs25 and Emacs-Snapshot on Debian. My emacs init loads
'Trivial Cite' (TC), and I do *not* experience this issue.

TC is in Debian's emacs-goodies-el. Perhaps a comparison of TC and the
Emacs efault will turn up a clue.

@ 2018-01-03 17:07   ` Eric S Fraga
       [not found]   ` <mailman.6775.1514999293.27995.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2018-01-03 17:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Wednesday,  3 Jan 2018 at 10:16, Gijs Hillenius wrote:

[...]

> I'm using Emacs25 and Emacs-Snapshot on Debian. My emacs init loads
> 'Trivial Cite' (TC), and I do *not* experience this issue.

Thanks for this.

> TC is in Debian's emacs-goodies-el. Perhaps a comparison of TC and the
> Emacs efault will turn up a clue.

But interestingly enough, emacs-goodies-el started failing on
installation (via apt) with more recent emacs snapshots.  Trying just
now gives me lots of warnings but more importantly some errors:

filladapt.el:79:1:Error: Loading ‘nil’: old-style backquotes detected!
framepop.el:774:1:Error: Loading ‘nil’: old-style backquotes detected!
highlight-current-line.el:188:1:Error: Loading ‘nil’: old-style backquotes detected!
xrdb-mode.el:179:1:Error: Loading ‘nil’: old-style backquotes detected!

This is with emacs snapshot version 2:20171231 on buster.

The same package compiles fine with emacs25 however.
--

@ 2018-01-03 17:55     ` HASM
From: HASM @ 2018-01-03 17:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> filladapt.el:79:1:Error: Loading ‘nil’: old-style backquotes detected!
> This is with emacs snapshot version 2:20171231 on buster.
> The same package compiles fine with emacs25 however.

On my emacs 25.3.1, filladapt.el complains of the backquotes problem,
but compiles (after I fix another small problem, elsewhere) and seems to
run.

Don't know enough elisp to fully replace the `, construct here
  (defmacro defcustom (var value doc &rest args)
     (` (defvar (, var) (, value) (, doc))))))
with non-deprecated code.

-- HASM

* Re: auto-fill in message mode filling with prefix "> "
@ 2018-01-03 19:26       ` Alan Mackenzie
       [not found]       ` <mailman.6785.1515018235.27995.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Alan Mackenzie @ 2018-01-03 19:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

HASM <hasm@example.invalid> wrote:
> Eric S Fraga <e.fraga@ucl.ac.uk> writes:

>> filladapt.el:79:1:Error: Loading ‘nil’: old-style backquotes detected!
>> This is with emacs snapshot version 2:20171231 on buster.
>> The same package compiles fine with emacs25 however.

> On my emacs 25.3.1, filladapt.el complains of the backquotes problem,
> but compiles (after I fix another small problem, elsewhere) and seems to
> run.

> Don't know enough elisp to fully replace the `, construct here
>   (defmacro defcustom (var value doc &rest args)
>      (` (defvar (, var) (, value) (, doc))))))
> with non-deprecated code.

This is actually simple - you don't need to know lisp.

Replace (` x) with `x.
Replace (, y) with ,y.

So that entire last line should become:

    `(defvar ,var ,value ,doc))))

.

--
Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).

* Re: auto-fill in message mode filling with prefix "> "
@ 2018-01-03 20:20           ` Robert Thorpe
From: Robert Thorpe @ 2018-01-03 20:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

HASM <hasm@example.invalid> writes:

> Eric S Fraga <e.fraga@ucl.ac.uk> writes:
>
>>> Maybe use the old filladapt (worked great on XEmacs) while those bugs
>>> get fixed.
>
>> For the moment, I have turned off auto-fill and simply fill the
>> paragraphs when I'm done.  Paragraph filling seems to work just fine.
>
> Emacs filling is different from filladapt in one annoying way, even
> running with -Q thus probably not my setup.
>
> If you type something like
>
> line1 word1 word2
>   indentedLine2 word1 word2
> line3 word1 word2
>
> and then, with the cursor anywhere on line3, invoke fill-paragrah, you
> end up with:
>
> line1 word1 word2 indentedLine2 word1 word2 line3 word1 word2
>
> whereas, filladapt leaves it as displayed.  And yes, emacs auto-fill
> also doesn't handle line tags properly.

If you want indented paragraphs then you can use
paragraph-indent-text-mode or paragraph-indent-minor-mode.  That will
make fill-paragraph behave itself in this case.

However, AFAIK, out-of-the-box Emacs provides no way to deal with both
types of paragraphs in one buffer.  You have to pick either space
separated paragraphs or indented paragraphs.

BR,
Robert Thorpe

* Re: auto-fill in message mode filling with prefix "> "
@ 2018-01-03 20:42         ` HASM
From: HASM @ 2018-01-03 20:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

>> Don't know enough elisp to fully replace the `, construct here
>>   (defmacro defcustom (var value doc &rest args)
>>      (` (defvar (, var) (, value) (, doc))))))
>> with non-deprecated code.

> This is actually simple - you don't need to know lisp.
> Replace (` x) with `x.
> Replace (, y) with ,y.

Ha! It's the parenthesis that are being deprecated:-)
Filladapt.el now compiles with no warnings.

-- HASM

* Re: auto-fill in message mode filling with prefix "> "
       [not found] <mailman.6778.1515010834.27995.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2018-01-03 20:43 ` HASM
From: HASM @ 2018-01-03 20:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> However, AFAIK, out-of-the-box Emacs provides no way to deal with both
> types of paragraphs in one buffer.  You have to pick either space
> separated paragraphs or indented paragraphs.

Thanks for the pointers, though I guess I'll keep using filladapt.

-- HASM

* Re: auto-fill in message mode filling with prefix "> "
@ 2018-01-03 20:53   ` Emanuel Berg
From: Emanuel Berg @ 2018-01-03 20:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Here [1] is how I do it.

Some of the stuff (lines 1-2) in the hook
in unrelated.

(defun gnus-article-fill-cited-article-keep-point ()
  "Fill the article and restore point."
  (interactive)
  (save-excursion (gnus-article-fill-cited-article)) )

(defun gnus-article-show-filled-citation ()
  "Fill the citation opened on a hidden-citation-button-press."
  (interactive)
  (let*((pos    (point))
        (button (get-char-property pos 'button)) )
    (when button
      (widget-button-press pos)
      (gnus-article-fill-cited-article-keep-point) )))

;; (setq gnus-article-prepare-hook nil)
(defun gnus-article-prepare-hook-f ()
  (gnus-with-article-buffer (gnus-article-wash-more))
  (gnus-article-hide-signature nil 1)
  (gnus-article-fill-cited-article) )
(add-hook 'gnus-article-prepare-hook #'gnus-article-prepare-hook-f)

[1] http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573/emacs-init/gnus/article.el

--
underground experts united
http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573

* Re: auto-fill in message mode filling with prefix "> "
@ 2018-01-03 22:23       ` Stefan Monnier
       [not found]       ` <mailman.6785.1515018235.27995.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2018-01-03 22:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> Don't know enough elisp to fully replace the `, construct here
>   (defmacro defcustom (var value doc &rest args)
>      (` (defvar (, var) (, value) (, doc))))))
> with non-deprecated code.

For this particular case, the right fix is to remove the whole (defmacro
...) since it's only there for compatibility with versions of Emacs that
don't have `defcustom`.  This macro was introduced in Emacs-19 or
Emacs-20, can't remember which but it's highly unlikely that you still
have such an Emacs on your machine.

@ 2018-01-04  2:24         ` HASM
From: HASM @ 2018-01-04  2:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> For this particular case, the right fix is to remove the whole (defmacro
> ...) since it's only there for compatibility with versions of Emacs that
> don't have `defcustom`.

Most likely. Looking closer at it the defmacro is part of an
eval-and-compile preceded by the comment:

  ;; BLOB to make custom stuff work even without customize

I'll comment out the whole eval-and-compile.

-- HASM

* Re: auto-fill in message mode filling with prefix "> "
@ 2018-01-04 18:41           ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2018-01-04 18:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> Most likely. Looking closer at it the defmacro is part of an
> eval-and-compile preceded by the comment:
>   ;; BLOB to make custom stuff work even without customize
> I'll comment out the whole eval-and-compile.

BTW, maybe we could put filladapt into GNU ELPA.
I think we pretty much have the legal paperwork already.
It'd be good to get Kyle's agreement by email, tho.