Ryan B writes: > here are steps that reproduce this, with gnu emacs 25.1.1 on mac os x: > > 1. put the single long line under the === below (18572 chars long) into a file > 2. run emacs -Q > 3. type C-x C-f RET to open the file > 4. type M-x compilation-mode RET > > this consistently hangs emacs for 9-10s for me on modern hardware, a 2014 > retina macbook pro. The example was corrupted in transit (line-folded), so I've included a fixed-up version as an attachment here. Running M-x compilation-mode takes about five seconds for me, but this laptop is pretty fast. -- (domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.) bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no