On Fri 29 Jan 2021 at 06:52AM +01, Lars Ingebrigtsen wrote: > Sean Whitton writes: > >> Inspired by Stefan's comment at [1] I came up with this patch to set >> revert-buffer-function in shell command buffers. > > Nice; I've applied your patch to Emacs 28. Thanks for taking a look! I realised that my patch needs to setq-local not just setq. Indeed, my previous patch breaks revert-buffer once you've run a shell command... Attached is a fix. >> I have a binding for revert-buffer which is nicer to press than M-! M-p >> RET or M-& M-p RET when repeatedly editing and re-running programs and >> scripts. > > Would it make sense to just define a tiny mode that just defines the `g' > command to revert and use that in these buffers? For M-!, yes, that would be useful and simple. For M-&, the mode would need to be activated only once the command had finished running, as otherwise 'g' should be sent to the inferior process. Not hard to do that either. I take it a minor mode is more appropriate than a major mode for this? If so, I can come up with a patch adding that to simple.el. -- Sean Whitton