all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* setq-local: Wrong number of arguments
@ 2021-05-03 21:30 Christopher Dimech
From: Christopher Dimech @ 2021-05-03 21:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Help Gnu Emacs

I am gutting an error saying

setq-local: Wrong number of arguments: (2 . 2), 4

Have no idea what it means.  Been trying to enable a typeface using a
cycle mechanism

(defvar-local crucibulum-sweep-kondor 1
  "Keeps track of the cycle state in `crucibulum-sweep'.")

(defun crucibulum-sweep ()
  "Cycles supinf and ideograms functionality."
   (interactive)

   (pcase crucibulum-sweep-kondor
      (1 (enable-ricci-notation)
	 (message "Enabled: ricci notation")
         (setq-local crucibulum-sweep-kondor (1+ crucibulum-sweep-kondor)))
      (2 (enable-ideogram-vision)
         (message "Enabled: ricci notation & ideogram vision")
         (setq-local crucibulum-sweep-kondor (1+ crucibulum-sweep-kondor)))
      (_ (disable-ricci-notation)
	 (disable-ideogram-vision)
	 (message "Disabled: ricci notation & ideogram vision")
         (setq-local crucibulum-sweep-kondor 1)) ))

* Re: setq-local: Wrong number of arguments
@ 2021-05-04  6:47 ` Joost Kremers
From: Joost Kremers @ 2021-05-04  6:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Christopher Dimech; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

On Mon, May 03 2021, Christopher Dimech wrote:
> I am gutting an error saying
>
> setq-local: Wrong number of arguments: (2 . 2), 4
>
> Have no idea what it means.

The message means that you're calling a function that takes between two and two
arguments but you're passing it four. Whether this function is indeed
`setq-local` is doubtful, because `setq-local` can take more than two arguments,
as long as it has an ever number of arguments and each odd argument is a symbol.

I can't see anything obviously wrong with the code you posted (though I may well
be overlooking something...) If it were me, this would probably be the point
where I start edebug...

--
Joost Kremers
Life has its moments

* Re: setq-local: Wrong number of arguments
@ 2021-05-04  7:07   ` Emanuel Berg via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor
From: Emanuel Berg via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor @ 2021-05-04  7:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Joost Kremers wrote:

> I can't see anything obviously wrong with the code you
> posted (though I may well be overlooking something...) If it
> were me, this would probably be the point where I start
> edebug...

byte-compile

--
underground experts united
https://dataswamp.org/~incal

* Re: setq-local: Wrong number of arguments
@ 2021-05-04  7:59   ` Christopher Dimech
From: Christopher Dimech @ 2021-05-04  7:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Joost Kremers; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

If he was using the older Emacs 25, that error will show up when
trying to set two local variables.

---------------------
Christopher Dimech
General Administrator - Naiad Informatics - GNU Project (Geocomputation)
- Geophysical Simulation
- Geological Subsurface Mapping
- Disaster Preparedness and Mitigation
- Natural Resource Exploration and Production
- Free Software Advocacy

@ 2021-05-04  8:05     ` Emanuel Berg via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor
From: Emanuel Berg via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor @ 2021-05-04  8:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Christopher Dimech wrote:

> If he was using the older Emacs 25, that error will show up
> when trying to set two local variables.

Okay, but why are you people using such old Emacs?

> ---------------------
> Christopher Dimech
> General Administrator - Naiad Informatics - GNU Project (Geocomputation)
> - Geophysical Simulation
> - Geological Subsurface Mapping
> - Disaster Preparedness and Mitigation
> - Natural Resource Exploration and Production
> - Free Software Advocacy

RFC 3676, section 4.3 (Usenet Signature Convention)
https://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc3676.txt

--
underground experts united
https://dataswamp.org/~incal

* Emacs is stable software
@ 2021-05-04  8:14       ` Jean Louis
From: Jean Louis @ 2021-05-04  8:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

* Emanuel Berg via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor <help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org> [2021-05-04 11:08]:
> Christopher Dimech wrote:
>
> > If he was using the older Emacs 25, that error will show up
> > when trying to set two local variables.
>
> Okay, but why are you people using such old Emacs?

Maybe for you is "old" but even that some version is older does not
need to be known to user.

Example is Emacs 25.3 in Hyperbola GNU/Linux-libre, it is there for
few years, just installed on the system, it works. Emacs is
stable. There are no big issues. In this house and my staff members
are using that version without problems. Largest majority of users
will never have any incidents with Emacs as it is stable
software.

Just like hundreds of millions of users will report bugs and develop
it. The rest remains using it without complaints.

I can imagine on many multi-user computers not every user has option
to install a new version neither can know how to do it.

And on personal computers is the same, not every user is able to
install software, people use computers without updates for many years.

--
Jean

https://www.fsf.org/campaigns

https://stallmansupport.org/
https://rms-support-letter.github.io/

* Re: Emacs is stable software
@ 2021-05-04  8:25         ` Emanuel Berg via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor
From: Emanuel Berg via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor @ 2021-05-04  8:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Jean Louis wrote:

> Just like hundreds of millions of users will report bugs and
> develop it. The rest remains using it without complaints.
>
> I can imagine on many multi-user computers not every user
> has option to install a new version neither can know how to
> do it.
>
> And on personal computers is the same, not every user is
> able to install software, people use computers without
> updates for many years.

Approximations show that that hundreds of millions do that.

--

@ 2021-05-04  9:03         ` tomas
From: tomas @ 2021-05-04  9:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Tue, May 04, 2021 at 11:14:47AM +0300, Jean Louis wrote:
> * Emanuel Berg via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor <help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org> [2021-05-04 11:08]:

[...]

> > Okay, but why are you people using such old Emacs?
>
> Maybe for you is "old" but even that some version is older does not
> need to be known to user.

All nice and well, but whoever does that pays a price for it: keep
your old docs around, read them yourself instead of expecting others,
like this mailing list, Stack Overflow or the general Internet to
read them for you -- because the older your version the higher the
probability they are looking at other version's docs.

And, oh, make your version explicit, especially if it's a bit
"different".

Cheers
 - t

* Re: Emacs is stable software
@ 2021-05-04  9:15           ` Emanuel Berg via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor
From: Emanuel Berg via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor @ 2021-05-04  9:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

tomas wrote:

> make your version explicit, especially if it's a bit
> "different".

C-u M-x emacs-version RET

ditto gnus-version

and even emacs-w3m-version and w3m-version if you use
https://dataswamp.org/~incal/emacs-init/w3m/w3m-incal.el :)

--
underground experts united
https://dataswamp.org/~incal

* Re: setq-local: Wrong number of arguments
@ 2021-05-05  6:26       ` Christopher Dimech
Most likely because that is what they get from their package managers.

@ 2021-05-05  6:32         ` Emanuel Berg via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor
From: Emanuel Berg via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor @ 2021-05-05  6:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Christopher Dimech wrote:

> Most likely because that is what they get from their
> package managers.

Is that so.

Well, I got my 28.0 on the pitch black market but if I hadn't
I could still get 27.1 from the Debian repos.

--

@ 2021-05-05  8:56           ` Christopher Dimech
From: Christopher Dimech @ 2021-05-05  8:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: moasenwood; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

In the latest version of trisquel they are stuck with Emacs 25.

---------------------

@ 2021-05-05  9:05             ` Emanuel Berg via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor
From: Emanuel Berg via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor @ 2021-05-05  9:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Christopher Dimech wrote:

> In the latest version of trisquel they are stuck with
> Emacs 25.

Yeah, okay, but then why don't you put your efforts to getting
it loose?

Since doing work with a defunct OS and/or package manager
won't ever work anyway...

--

@ 2021-05-05 10:01               ` Christopher Dimech
From: Christopher Dimech @ 2021-05-05 10:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: moasenwood; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

We can but then some won't agree with us and want to do some work straight away.
We do make a lot of assumptions of what people are actually using.  For the most
part it does not matter too much the version one uses.  Unless they start playing
with some old setting, no longer of use.

Some still use notepad.

@ 2021-05-05 10:12                 ` Emanuel Berg via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor
From: Emanuel Berg via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor @ 2021-05-05 10:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Christopher Dimech wrote:

> We can but then some won't agree with us and want to do some
> work straight away. We do make a lot of assumptions of what
> people are actually using. For the most part it does not
> matter too much the version one uses. Unless they start
> playing with some old setting, no longer of use.

I agree but since it is so easy to get the latest version one
can just do it.

Very easy to do and a HUGE win not running into problems and
dead ends later.

Not even having to care about that, focus on the real
problem instead!

How refreshing ;)

--

@ 2021-05-05 10:48                   ` Christopher Dimech
> > We can but then some won't agree with us and want to do some
> > work straight away. We do make a lot of assumptions of what
> > people are actually using. For the most part it does not
> > matter too much the version one uses. Unless they start
> > playing with some old setting, no longer of use.
>
> I agree but since it is so easy to get the latest version one
> can just do it.
>
> Very easy to do and a HUGE win not running into problems and
> dead ends later.
>
> Not even having to care about that, focus on the real
> problem instead!
>
> How refreshing ;)

But then you don't get any excitement.  You have to complicate things to get that.

@ 2021-05-05 11:00                   ` Christopher Dimech
> > We can but then some won't agree with us and want to do some
> > work straight away. We do make a lot of assumptions of what
> > people are actually using. For the most part it does not
> > matter too much the version one uses. Unless they start
> > playing with some old setting, no longer of use.
>
> I agree but since it is so easy to get the latest version one
> can just do it.
>
> Very easy to do and a HUGE win not running into problems and
> dead ends later.

Have read many chavs saying to use a repository.  Or suppository, depends how you look
at it

@ 2021-05-05 15:02                     ` Emanuel Berg via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor
From: Emanuel Berg via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor @ 2021-05-05 15:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Christopher Dimech wrote:

> Have read many chavs saying to use a repository.

Yes, then you get 27.1, which is cool.

Emacs is so easy to install from source tho you can get even
cooler :)