all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* problem with the "You can run the command ..." message
@ 2022-04-04  1:01 Emanuel Berg via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor
From: Emanuel Berg via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor @ 2022-04-04  1:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Try, with a region

  M-x count-region RET

You see the answer in the echo area for only a short while,
then it gets replaced with

  You can run the command ‘count-region’ with M-x cou-r RET

so you can't see the data queried for just one second ago.
Not good!

Solution:

(setq suggest-key-bindings             nil
      extended-command-suggest-shorter nil)

?

(BTW that tip isn't even useful, is it? Are you supposed to do
M-x cou-r RET to save time? If I do something that often, I'd
assign it a keystroke, not memorize some
half-mnemonic/half-senseless cou-r ...)

--
underground experts united
https://dataswamp.org/~incal

* Re: problem with the "You can run the command ..." message
@ 2022-04-04 23:31 ` Michael Heerdegen
From: Michael Heerdegen @ 2022-04-04 23:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

<help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org> writes:

> Try, with a region
>
>   M-x count-region RET

Do you mean `count-words-region' maybe? - because Emacs doesn't have
that command.

> You see the answer in the echo area for only a short while,
> then it gets replaced with
>
>   You can run the command ‘count-region’ with M-x cou-r RET
>
> so you can't see the data queried for just one second ago.
> Not good!

Can be slightly annoying yes, the usefulness of the feature is arguable.

But note that if you wait for another short while, the result is back -
and it stays.

Michael.

* Re: problem with the "You can run the command ..." message
@ 2022-04-04 23:55   ` Emanuel Berg via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor
From: Emanuel Berg via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor @ 2022-04-04 23:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Michael Heerdegen wrote:

>> Try, with a region
>>
>>   M-x count-region RET
>
> Do you mean `count-words-region' maybe? - because Emacs doesn't have
> that command.

You are right, I had that

  (defalias 'count-region #'count-words-region)

Actually that alias isn't bad as it is shorter and
`count-words-region' doesn't just count words.

>> You see the answer in the echo area for only a short while,
>> then it gets replaced with
>>
>>   You can run the command ‘count-region’ with M-x cou-r RET
>>
>> so you can't see the data queried for just one second ago.
>> Not good!
>
> Can be slightly annoying yes, the usefulness of the feature
> is arguable.

ikr?

And when in doubt intuitively and one can easily think of
_two_ reasons not to do something, the one shouldn't do it.
(Works vice versa as well.)

> But note that if you wait for another short while, the
> result is back - and it stays.

OK. Well, now it is disabled anyway. It seems this

  (setq suggest-key-bindings             nil
        extended-command-suggest-shorter nil)

did it.