Eli Zaretskii writes: >> I saw this. But "update" is not used consistently across that >> commentary. > > Tough. "Update" is too general a word to limit is use. Sorry. May it be replaced by another, more precise, term then? >> If we read at the very beginning: >> >> /* New redisplay written by Gerd Moellmann . >> >> Redisplay. >> >> Emacs separates the task of updating the display from code >> modifying global state, e.g. buffer text. ... >> >> Updating the display is triggered by the Lisp interpreter when it >> decides it's time to do it.... >> >> Which immediately creates an impression that "redisplay" and "update" >> are referring to the same thing. > > There's no practical way to avoid all the possible misinterpretations > of this large and complex text, especially when it is read for the > first time. What about the attached patch?