all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* hiding a password
@ 2002-07-23 16:00 Gary Sherman
From: Gary Sherman @ 2002-07-23 16:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello all,

I am using xemacs 20.4 and when I log in to some of our systems I wish to
hide my password as I type.  Is there a way to do this?  I have searched
(maybe not good enough) the web and the help files for an answer and was
unable to find one.

If any of you know of a command, either permanent to be added to .emacs file
or temporary per session I would be grateful if you will share.

Gary Sherman
Database Analyst
InfoNow Corporation

* Re: hiding a password
@ 2002-07-23 16:25 ` Alfred M. Szmidt
From: Alfred M. Szmidt @ 2002-07-23 16:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs

"Gary Sherman" <gsherman@infonow.com> writes:
> I am using xemacs 20.4 and when I log in to some of our systems I wish to
> hide my password as I type.  Is there a way to do this?  I have searched
> (maybe not good enough) the web and the help files for an answer and was
> unable to find one.

This list is dedicated to GNU Emacs, in GNU Emacs you can use the
function `read-passwd', see the GNU Emacs Lisp manual for more
information.

Cheers,
--
Alfred M. Szmidt

* Re: hiding a password
@ 2002-07-24 10:35   ` fabrice bauzac
From: fabrice bauzac @ 2002-07-24 10:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs

On Tue, Jul 23, 2002 at 06:25:09PM +0200, Alfred M. Szmidt wrote:

> This list is dedicated to GNU Emacs, in GNU Emacs you can use the
> function `read-passwd', see the GNU Emacs Lisp manual for more
> information.

You may type M-x send-invisible RET, then the line you type will not
appear on the screen.

--
fabrice bauzac
Software should be free.  http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/why-free.html