all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Getting Alt to act as Meta
@ 2003-03-27 22:29 Joao de Sa Coutinho
From: Joao de Sa Coutinho @ 2003-03-27 22:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

I've just installed Debian 3.0, and I'm running emacs 20.7.2 in X Windows,
under KDE ; the problem I have is that the Alt key is *not* working as Meta, I
have to use Esc instead.

Under RedHat 7.2, in the same emacs 20.7, the Alt key works as Meta
off-the-box.

Can anyone tell me how I can reconfigure this, so that Alt becomes Meta ? Xev
shows the keysym to be Alt_L, BTW.

Thanks,
Joao

* Re: Getting Alt to act as Meta
@ 2003-03-27 22:52 ` Alex Schroeder
From: Alex Schroeder @ 2003-03-27 22:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

Joao de Sa Coutinho <joao@teaser.fr> writes:

> Can anyone tell me how I can reconfigure this, so that Alt becomes Meta ? Xev
> shows the keysym to be Alt_L, BTW.

http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?MetaKeyProblems has some
info on this...

Alex.

* Re: Getting Alt to act as Meta
@ 2003-03-28 21:55   ` Joao de Sa Coutinho
From: Joao de Sa Coutinho @ 2003-03-28 21:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

Alex Schroeder <alex@gnu.org> writes:

> Joao de Sa Coutinho <joao@teaser.fr> writes:
>
> > Can anyone tell me how I can reconfigure this, so that Alt becomes Meta ? Xev
> > shows the keysym to be Alt_L, BTW.
>
> http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?MetaKeyProblems has some
> info on this...

Indeed it has the answer. I need to execute the command

  xmodmap -e "clear mod4"

and there's no more Meta, so then Alt gets recognized. Although I couldn't get
this to be recognized inside a .Xmodmap nor a .xmodmaprc file, so I had to look
for what .xinitrc file was being executed (/etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc on my Debian
3.0) and add that command in there.

> Alex.

Thanks Alex, problem solved.

Joao