all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* just comments fontified in latex mode?
@ 2003-11-14 21:31 Joe Corneli
From: Joe Corneli @ 2003-11-14 21:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

I'm using the same .emacs as I used on my (broken) iBook, now working
on a linux machine.  Just the comments are fontified by font-lock in
my TeX files.  I asked my system administrator about this and he
suggested using the hilit-LaTeX package.  It highlights stuff, but I
didn't like the way it behaved (uses different colors, doesn't
automatically rehighlight new $$'s, etc.).  Can anyone tell me how to
get normal font-lock working again?

Joe

* Re: just comments fontified in latex mode?
@ 2003-11-15  0:51 ` Dan Anderson
       [not found]   ` <mailman.127.1068918282.399.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
       [not found] ` <jcorneli@math.utexas.edu>
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Dan Anderson @ 2003-11-15  0:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Try running emacs with:

$ emacs -q

Now M-x load-file RET .emacs (or the path to your .emacs) RET

If things aren't messed up anymore it means your sysadmin has something
in the site .emacs (I forget the technical term) and it's causing the
problem.

-Dan

@ 2003-11-15  1:20   ` Peter S Galbraith
From: Peter S Galbraith @ 2003-11-15  1:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Joe Corneli <jcorneli@math.utexas.edu> wrote:

> I'm using the same .emacs as I used on my (broken) iBook, now working
> on a linux machine.  Just the comments are fontified by font-lock in
> my TeX files.  I asked my system administrator about this and he
> suggested using the hilit-LaTeX package.

I'd suggest _not_ using hilit-LaTeX and I'm the one who wrote it.
The hilit19 interface is obsolete.
>                                           It highlights stuff, but I
> didn't like the way it behaved (uses different colors, doesn't
> automatically rehighlight new $$'s, etc.).  Can anyone tell me how to
> get normal font-lock working again?

It should just work.

You might also give font-latex.el a try.  It's my hilit-LaTeX
replacement and is used in AUC-TeX (but can be used outside of AUC-TeX):

http://savannah.gnu.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs/auctex/auctex/font-latex.el?rev=HEAD&content-type=text/vnd.viewcvs-markup

Peter

* Re: just comments fontified in latex mode?
       [not found] ` <mailman.115.1068861241.399.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2003-11-15  1:38   ` Jesper Harder
From: Jesper Harder @ 2003-11-15  1:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

Dan Anderson <dan@mathjunkies.com> writes:

> Try running emacs with:
>
> $ emacs -q

Or better yet

   emacs -q --no-site-file

in case the problem is in site-start.el.

* Re: just comments fontified in latex mode?
@ 2003-11-15 16:42   ` Joe Corneli
       [not found]   ` <mailman.127.1068918282.399.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Joe Corneli @ 2003-11-15 16:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs

> Try running emacs with:

> $ emacs -q

> Now M-x load-file RET .emacs (or the path to your .emacs) RET

> If things aren't messed up anymore it means your sysadmin has
> something in the site .emacs (I forget the technical term) and it's
> causing the problem.

And if things still are messed up? :)

If this is a clue, even though I can get comments to appear in red in
a LaTeX file, I have to turn on font-lock-mode manually to get them
to appear.  (Which of course wasn't the case before.)

By the way, just to check, I loaded the *exact* same .emacs as I was
running on the broken laptop, and no improvement. Still have nice
colors in e.g. mail-mode, emacs-lisp-mode, etc.  But not in any latex
files.

Also note, same behavior is seen when I run font-lock-mode from emacs
-q in a latex buffer (though a different color is used for comments).
I was pretty sure that the default behavior of font-lock-mode was more
complicated than this.

@ 2003-11-15 18:05     ` Dan Anderson
From: Dan Anderson @ 2003-11-15 18:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs

On Sat, 2003-11-15 at 11:42, Joe Corneli wrote:
> > Try running emacs with:
>
> > $ emacs -q
>
> > Now M-x load-file RET .emacs (or the path to your .emacs) RET
>
> > If things aren't messed up anymore it means your sysadmin has
> > something in the site .emacs (I forget the technical term) and it's
> > causing the problem.
>
> And if things still are messed up? :)

Well the idea is simple.  Emacs loads the .emacs for the
computer/server/site and then your .emacs.  I was curious whether or not
the site .emacs what causing the problems.  Try loading emacs with just
the -q.  If you're still having problems there's something you need to
add to your .emacs that was probably in the .emacs of your last
computer/server.  If you're not having problems you need to remove
something from your .emacs.  Best bet is to add things in line by line.

-Dan

@ 2003-11-16 23:19     ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2003-11-16 23:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

> By the way, just to check, I loaded the *exact* same .emacs as I was
> running on the broken laptop, and no improvement. Still have nice
> colors in e.g. mail-mode, emacs-lisp-mode, etc.  But not in any latex
> files.

Old AUCTeX do not show font-lock in Emacs-21.
Can't remember when this was fixed.  AUCTeX 11 maybe?

* Re: just comments fontified in latex mode?
       [not found] ` <mailman.118.1068862929.399.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2003-11-24  7:55   ` Tim X
From: Tim X @ 2003-11-24  7:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

 Peter> Joe Corneli <jcorneli@math.utexas.edu> wrote:
 >> I'm using the same .emacs as I used on my (broken) iBook, now
 >> working on a linux machine.  Just the comments are fontified by
 >> font-lock in my TeX files.  I asked my system administrator about
 >> this and he suggested using the hilit-LaTeX package.

 Peter> I'd suggest _not_ using hilit-LaTeX and I'm the one who wrote
 Peter> it.  The hilit19 interface is obsolete.
 >> It highlights stuff, but I didn't like the way it behaved (uses
 >> different colors, doesn't automatically rehighlight new $$'s,
 >> etc.).  Can anyone tell me how to get normal font-lock working
 >> again?

 Peter> It should just work.

 Peter> You might also give font-latex.el a try.  It's my hilit-LaTeX
 Peter> replacement and is used in AUC-TeX (but can be used outside of
 Peter> AUC-TeX):

 Peter> http://savannah.gnu.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs/auctex/auctex/font-latex.el?rev=HEAD&content-type=text/vnd.viewcvs-markup

I have the opposite problem. If I put a comment in a latex file, all
the text following the comment is highlighted with the comment font
colour until there is a ^L and then normal fontification works.

I've observed this on two Debian boxes - one running Debian Testing
(Sarge) and the other running Debian Unstable (Sid). The Debian
unstable versions are

GNU Emacs 21.3.1
AucTex 11.13-1

I get the same results with emacs -q - don't know about emacs
--no-site-file as AucTex is initialized via the site-start.el, but
I've not modified it from the default Debian scripts.

Tim

--
Tim Cross