all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Seeing Attachments in Gnus
@ 2003-12-02  0:58 Dan Anderson
From: Dan Anderson @ 2003-12-02  0:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

        When somebody sends me an e-mail with an attachment under Gnus
I don't see that I've gotten one unless I am using verbose headers and
see that it's  a multipart e-mail, and even then  can't seem to figure
out how to extract them.  How do I:

        a.  Tell Gnus to alert me when an e-mail has an attachment
        b.  Tell Gnus where to save said attachment.

Thanks,

Dan

* Re: Seeing Attachments in Gnus
@ 2003-12-02 19:44 ` Martin Stemplinger
From: Martin Stemplinger @ 2003-12-02 19:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Die Dez 02 2003 at 01:58, Dan Anderson <dan@mathjunkies.com> wrote:

>         When somebody sends me an e-mail with an attachment under Gnus
> I don't see that I've gotten one unless I am using verbose headers and
> see that it's  a multipart e-mail, and even then  can't seem to figure
> out how to extract them.  How do I:
>
>         a.  Tell Gnus to alert me when an e-mail has an attachment
Mails contain a mark like [2. application/msword; document.doc]...
>         b.  Tell Gnus where to save said attachment.
There is a menu entry "MIME" which allows saving it. I'm sure there is
also a command you can use.

At least this is true for 5.10.2 with no special configuration for
attachments (at least I'm not aware of any)

HTH
Martin
--
Remove NOSPAM to reply by mail

* Re: Seeing Attachments in Gnus
@ 2003-12-02 21:15 ` Kai Grossjohann
From: Kai Grossjohann @ 2003-12-02 21:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

Dan Anderson <dan@mathjunkies.com> writes:

>         When somebody sends me an e-mail with an attachment under Gnus
> I don't see that I've gotten one unless I am using verbose headers and
> see that it's  a multipart e-mail, and even then  can't seem to figure
> out how to extract them.  How do I:
>
>         a.  Tell Gnus to alert me when an e-mail has an attachment
>         b.  Tell Gnus where to save said attachment.

Maybe this happens if people compose a multipart/alternative message
where one alternative is a text/plain message (shown by Gnus) and the
other alternative is multipart/mixed or multipart/related.

You might like to try C-d on such a message to find out its MIME
structure.  Depending on the findings, it might be possible to tell
Gnus to prefer the other alternative.

Also note that Gnus will show "(2 parts)" in the modeline of the
article buffer when you view the message.  That way, you don't need to
show the raw message to find out that there could be a problem.  And
then you just do C-d to extract whatever you like from the msg.

Kai

* Re: Seeing Attachments in Gnus
@ 2003-12-04 13:34   ` Reiner Steib
From: Reiner Steib @ 2003-12-04 13:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, Dec 02 2003, Kai Grossjohann wrote:

> Dan Anderson <dan@mathjunkies.com> writes:

>>         a.  Tell Gnus to alert me when an e-mail has an attachment

If you already want to see it in the Summary buffer, you may use the
following:

(defun gnus-user-format-function-ct (header)
  "Display content type of message in summary line.

You need to add `Content-Type' to `nnmail-extra-headers' and
`gnus-extra-headers', see Info node `(gnus)To From Newsgroups'."
  (let ((case-fold-search t)
	(ctype (cdr (assq 'Content-Type
			  (mail-header-extra header)))))
    (cond
     ;; FIXME: Use a customizable list instead:
     ((or (not ctype) (string-match "^text/plain" ctype)) " ")
     ((string-match "^text/html" ctype)                   "h")
     ((string-match "^multipart/mixed" ctype)             "m")
     ((string-match "^multipart/alternative" ctype)       "a")
     ((string-match "^multipart/related" ctype)           "r")
     ((string-match "^multipart/signed" ctype)            "s")
     ((string-match "^multipart/encrypted" ctype)         "e")
     ((string-match "^multipart/report" ctype)            "t")
     ;; other
     (t "o"))))
;; Then, add "%u&ct;" to `gnus-summary-line-format'.

See the screen shot on
<URL:http://theotp1.physik.uni-ulm.de/~ste/comp/emacs/gnus/screen-shots/
summary-spam-mime.png>.

,----[ C-h v mm-default-directory RET ]

`----

,----[ C-h v gnus-mime-display-multipart-related-as-mixed RET ]
| gnus-mime-display-multipart-related-as-mixed's value is t
|
| Documentation:
| Display "multipart/related" parts as  "multipart/mixed".
|
| If displaying "text/html" is discouraged (see
| `mm-discouraged-alternatives') images or other material inside a
| "multipart/related" part might be overlooked when this variable is nil.
`----

Bye, Reiner.
--
       ,,,