all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Starting in c-set-style linux
@ 2004-04-21 23:39 News @adelphia
From: News @adelphia @ 2004-04-21 23:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

 I'm new to emacs, and I was wondering what I need to do in order to start
emacs in linux mode with out have to "M-x c-set-style linux" every time I
start emacs. I've looked all over the web and can't find anything on the
subject. If anyone can point me in the right direction I'd be very greatful.

* Re: Starting in c-set-style linux
@ 2004-04-22  0:18 ` Mike Irwin
From: Mike Irwin @ 2004-04-22  0:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

"News @adelphia" <jakle131@adelphia.net> writes:

>  I'm new to emacs, and I was wondering what I need to do in order to start
> emacs in linux mode with out have to "M-x c-set-style linux" every time I
> start emacs. I've looked all over the web and can't find anything on the
> subject. If anyone can point me in the right direction I'd be very greatful.

(defun my-linux-c-mode ()
  "C mode with adjusted defaults for use with the linux kernel."
  (c-set-style "linux"))

(add-hook 'c-mode-hook 'my-linux-c-mode)

* Re: Starting in c-set-style linux
@ 2004-04-22  3:58   ` Jesse B.
From: Jesse B. @ 2004-04-22  3:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Mike Irwin" wrote:

> (defun my-linux-c-mode ()
>   "C mode with adjusted defaults for use with the linux kernel."
>   (c-set-style "linux"))
>
> (add-hook 'c-mode-hook 'my-linux-c-mode)

Thank you very much. That's the ticket I've been looking for. Works like a
charm. I've been pulling my hair out googling and looking through docs for
that info. I appritiate you taking the time to help out a newcomer like
myself.

* Re: Starting in c-set-style linux
@ 2004-04-22 13:31 ` Alan Mackenzie
From: Alan Mackenzie @ 2004-04-22 13:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

News @adelphia <jakle131@adelphia.net> wrote on Wed, 21 Apr 2004 19:39:31
-0400:
>  I'm new to emacs, and I was wondering what I need to do in order to
>  start emacs in linux mode with out have to "M-x c-set-style linux"
>  every time I start emacs. I've looked all over the web and can't find
>  anything on the subject. If anyone can point me in the right direction
>  I'd be very greatful.

Set the variable `c-default-style' in your .emacs file.  This is fully
documented in the CC Mode manual, page "Choosing a Style".  Something
like the following in your .emacs should work:

(eval-after-load "cc-mode"  '(setq c-default-style "linux"))

[The eval-after-load bit is to make sure that you don't try and set the
variable's value before the code has been loaded.]

--
Alan Mackenzie (Munich, Germany)
Email: aacm@muuc.dee; to decode, wherever there is a repeated letter

* Re: Starting in c-set-style linux
@ 2004-04-23 16:08   ` Kevin Rodgers
From: Kevin Rodgers @ 2004-04-23 16:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

Alan Mackenzie wrote:
 > Set the variable `c-default-style' in your .emacs file.  This is fully
 > documented in the CC Mode manual, page "Choosing a Style".  Something
 > like the following in your .emacs should work:
 >
 > (eval-after-load "cc-mode"  '(setq c-default-style "linux"))
 >
 > [The eval-after-load bit is to make sure that you don't try and set the
 > variable's value before the code has been loaded.]

eval-after-load shouldn't be necessary, if the variable is defined in
the usual defvar/defcustom way.

--
Kevin Rodgers

* Re: Starting in c-set-style linux
@ 2004-04-24  7:51     ` Alan Mackenzie
From: Alan Mackenzie @ 2004-04-24  7:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

Kevin Rodgers <ihs_4664@yahoo.com> wrote on Fri, 23 Apr 2004 10:08:35
-0600:
> Alan Mackenzie wrote:
>  > Set the variable `c-default-style' in your .emacs file.  This is
>  > fully documented in the CC Mode manual, page "Choosing a Style".
>  > Something like the following in your .emacs should work:

>  > (eval-after-load "cc-mode"  '(setq c-default-style "linux"))

>  > [The eval-after-load bit is to make sure that you don't try and set the
>  > variable's value before the code has been loaded.]

> eval-after-load shouldn't be necessary, if the variable is defined in
> the usual defvar/defcustom way.

Whoops!  Thanks.

Yes, an eval-after-load is needed for functions (unless they're
autoloaded), but not for variables.