all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* How to specify minor modes via -*- ?
@ 2004-11-23 16:36 kj
       [not found] ` <mailman.1013.1101230601.27204.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: kj @ 2004-11-23 16:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

[ I consider it one of life's little defeats when I'm reduced to
asking this question in a NG, after failing to find out for myself,
via C-h i, Google, etc. *sigh* ]

I can set a file's major mode by including the line

-*- mode: whatever -*-

at the top of the file.  How can I specify the minor modes?

Thanks!

kj

* Re: How to specify minor modes via -*- ?
@ 2004-11-23 17:12 ` Leonardo Boiko
       [not found] ` <mailman.1013.1101230601.27204.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Leonardo Boiko @ 2004-11-23 17:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

kj wrote:
> I can set a file's major mode by including the line
>
> -*- mode: whatever -*-
>
> at the top of the file.  How can I specify the minor modes?

 From C-h i:

--
Leonardo Boiko

@ 2004-11-23 17:42   ` kj
From: kj @ 2004-11-23 17:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

In <mailman.1013.1101230601.27204.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org> Leonardo Boiko <leoboiko@conectiva.com.br> writes:

>kj wrote:
>> I can set a file's major mode by including the line
>>
>> -*- mode: whatever -*-
>>
>> at the top of the file.  How can I specify the minor modes?

> From C-h i:

> > You can use the `mode' "variable" to set minor modes as well as
> > major modes; in fact, you can use it more than once, first to set the
> > major mode and then to set minor modes which are specific to
> > particular buffers.  But most minor modes should not be specified in
> > the file in any fashion, because they represent user preferences.

Great.  Thanks.  But how did you find it in C-h i?  I searched for
"mode", but got nowhere (too many irrelevant hits).

@ 2004-11-23 17:52   ` V. L. Simpson
From: V. L. Simpson @ 2004-11-23 17:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

    > kj wrote:
    >> I can set a file's major mode by including the line -*-
    >> mode:  whatever -*- at the top of the file.  How can I
    >> specify the minor modes?

You can add another mode switch.

-*- mode: text; mode: outline-minor -*-
              ^ Don't forget that semi-colon.

It's probably better to use the 'Local Variable' construct at the
end of the file:

 Local Variable:
 mode: text
 mode: outline-minor   <- Put as many of these lines as you wish
 End:

Comment that section if it's some kind of source code file.

Have fun,
vls

* Re: How to specify minor modes via -*- ?
@ 2004-11-23 18:03     ` Leonardo Boiko
From: Leonardo Boiko @ 2004-11-23 18:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

kj wrote:
> Great.  Thanks.  But how did you find it in C-h i?  I searched for
> "mode", but got nowhere (too many irrelevant hits).

Well, actually I have a bookmark to the "File Variables" section,
because I keep forgetting their syntax :)

This is one of the cases where it helps if you know the name of the
thing you're looking for.  If I didn't knew it, I think I'd try
Info-searching ('s' key) the Emacs manual for the regexp `-\*-'.

--
Leonardo Boiko