all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* dired-do-shell-command mention dired-guess-shell-alist-user
@ 2004-12-28 19:33 Dan Jacobson
From: Dan Jacobson @ 2004-12-28 19:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

dired-do-shell-command's docstring doesn't mention how to change the
defaults offered in the minibuffer.

If dired-guess-shell-alist-user is already mentioned, then there
should be more frequent emacs releases...

* Re: dired-do-shell-command mention dired-guess-shell-alist-user
@ 2004-12-29  2:01 ` Juri Linkov
From: Juri Linkov @ 2004-12-29  2:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: bug-gnu-emacs

Dan Jacobson <jidanni@jidanni.org> writes:
> dired-do-shell-command's docstring doesn't mention how to change the
> defaults offered in the minibuffer.
>
> If dired-guess-shell-alist-user is already mentioned, then there
> should be more frequent emacs releases...

dired-do-shell-command can't mention dired-guess-shell-alist-user,
because they are defined in two separate files: dired-aux.el and dired-x.el,
respectively.

There were discussions about moving shell command guessing code from
dired-x.el to dired-aux.el (or in dired.el).  I think this should be done
before the next release because it will eliminate an unfinished feature
in dired.el which uses dired-view-command-alist and which partly started
duplicating the functionality already present in dired-x.el.

I could submit the patch to emacs-devel if Richard agrees.

--
Juri Linkov
http://www.jurta.org/emacs/

* Re: dired-do-shell-command mention dired-guess-shell-alist-user
@ 2005-01-01  5:25   ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2005-01-01  5:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: bug-gnu-emacs, jidanni

    There were discussions about moving shell command guessing code from
    dired-x.el to dired-aux.el (or in dired.el).  I think this should be done
    before the next release because it will eliminate an unfinished feature
    in dired.el which uses dired-view-command-alist and which partly started
    duplicating the functionality already present in dired-x.el.

    I could submit the patch to emacs-devel if Richard agrees.

Dave Love suggested using the code from gnus-dired.el and mailcap.el.
That code seems to be very clean, so I would like to use that.
However, that code currently depends on various other parts of Gnus;
it will be necessary to work on the code so as to eliminate
the extra dependencies.

Want to do that?

Some additional advice of his:

    However, mailcap.el still needs fixing, as I reported before.  It
    shouldn't override the system mailcap files by default -- otherwise it
    can fail the same way dired `v' does now.  It shouldn't fail due to
    the viewer not being available -- it should check it's executable
    before trying to use it.

I just deleted the code I had added to dired.el