all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* looping cursor position in dired
@ 2005-11-17 20:47 Sebastian Luque
From: Sebastian Luque @ 2005-11-17 20:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello,

Before I start writing something too complicated, what is the best way to
allow the cursor to loop through the dired buffer?  i.e. if the cursor is
at the end of the buffer and you hit [up] (dired-next-line), then the
cursor would move to the first line; likewise for the opposite action.

Sebastian P. Luque

* Re: looping cursor position in dired
       [not found] <mailman.15691.1132260814.20277.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2005-11-17 23:54 ` rgb
From: rgb @ 2005-11-17 23:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

Sebastian Luque wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Before I start writing something too complicated, what is the best way to
> allow the cursor to loop through the dired buffer?  i.e. if the cursor is
> at the end of the buffer and you hit [up] (dired-next-line), then the
> cursor would move to the first line; likewise for the opposite action.
>
> Thanks,

Yes it would be a shame if you did something complicated;)

(defadvice dired-next-line
  (before my-buff-wrap activate compile) "With wrapping"
  (when (eobp) (goto-char (point-min))))

(defadvice dired-previous-line
  (before my-buff-wrap activate compile) "With wrapping"
  (when (bobp) (goto-char (point-max))))

* Re: looping cursor position in dired
@ 2005-11-18  0:12   ` Sebastian Luque
From: Sebastian Luque @ 2005-11-18  0:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

"rgb" <rbielaws@i1.net> wrote:

[...]

> Yes it would be a shame if you did something complicated;)

> (defadvice dired-next-line
> (before my-buff-wrap activate compile) "With wrapping"
> (when (eobp) (goto-char (point-min))))

> (defadvice dired-previous-line
> (before my-buff-wrap activate compile) "With wrapping"
> (when (bobp) (goto-char (point-max))))

Nice, thanks for both the solution and example of defadvice usage!

Sebastian P. Luque