all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* customizing `frame-background-mode'
@ 2005-11-18 10:53 martin rudalics
From: martin rudalics @ 2005-11-18 10:53 UTC (permalink / raw

Consider M-x customize-option RET frame-background-mode RET.  It
displays the line

frame-background-mode: [Hide Value] [Value Menu] {default]

What's the purpose of the [default] button?

* Re: customizing `frame-background-mode'
@ 2005-11-20  1:23 ` Juri Linkov
From: Juri Linkov @ 2005-11-20  1:23 UTC (permalink / raw
  Cc: emacs-devel

> Consider M-x customize-option RET frame-background-mode RET.  It
> displays the line
>
> frame-background-mode: [Hide Value] [Value Menu] [default]
>
> What's the purpose of the [default] button?

As the documentation string says: "Set nil (default) if you want Emacs
to examine the brightness for you".

I think the [default] button is misleading into thinking it has
something to do with the default value of frame-background-mode.
Perhaps it should be changed from the button to ordinary text,
because the [Value Menu] button prior to it has the same menu
for selecting its value.  Also the tag "default" could be changed
to something more descriptive like "default brightness".

--
Juri Linkov
http://www.jurta.org/emacs/

* Re: customizing `frame-background-mode'
@ 2005-11-20  9:47   ` martin rudalics
From: martin rudalics @ 2005-11-20  9:47 UTC (permalink / raw
  Cc: emacs-devel

 > As the documentation string says: "Set nil (default) if you want Emacs
 > to examine the brightness for you".
 >
 > I think the [default] button is misleading into thinking it has
 > something to do with the default value of frame-background-mode.
 > Perhaps it should be changed from the button to ordinary text,
 > because the [Value Menu] button prior to it has the same menu
 > for selecting its value.  Also the tag "default" could be changed
 > to something more descriptive like "default brightness".

The [Value Menu] and the [dark/light/default] button behave in exactly
the same manner.  I wonder whether they should do something different.
With other words, why not replace

   :type '(choice (choice-item dark)
		 (choice-item light)
		 (choice-item :tag "default" nil)))

by

   :type '(choice (const dark)
		 (const light)
		 (const :tag "default" nil)))

but probably I'm missing something here.

* Re: customizing `frame-background-mode'
@ 2005-11-20 21:47     ` Juri Linkov
From: Juri Linkov @ 2005-11-20 21:47 UTC (permalink / raw
  Cc: emacs-devel

>> I think the [default] button is misleading into thinking it has
>> something to do with the default value of frame-background-mode.
>> Perhaps it should be changed from the button to ordinary text,
>> because the [Value Menu] button prior to it has the same menu
>> for selecting its value.  Also the tag "default" could be changed
>> to something more descriptive like "default brightness".
>
> The [Value Menu] and the [dark/light/default] button behave in exactly
> the same manner.  I wonder whether they should do something different.
> With other words, why not replace
>
>   :type '(choice (choice-item dark)
> 		 (choice-item light)
> 		 (choice-item :tag "default" nil)))
>
> by
>
>   :type '(choice (const dark)
> 		 (const light)
> 		 (const :tag "default" nil)))

This is exactly what I meant.  Also I suggest to rename the tag "default"
to "default brightness".

--
Juri Linkov
http://www.jurta.org/emacs/

* Re: customizing `frame-background-mode'
@ 2005-11-20 23:22   ` Richard M. Stallman
From: Richard M. Stallman @ 2005-11-20 23:22 UTC (permalink / raw
  Cc: rudalics, emacs-devel

    With other words, why not replace

       :type '(choice (choice-item dark)
		     (choice-item light)
		     (choice-item :tag "default" nil)))

    by

       :type '(choice (const dark)
		     (const light)
		     (const :tag "default" nil)))

I think you are right.  Changing "default" to "automatic"
also seems like an improvement.  So here's what I propose to install.
Anyone see any problem with this patch?

*** faces.el	18 Nov 2005 12:03:25 -0500	1.343
--- faces.el	20 Nov 2005 10:26:25 -0500
***************
*** 1591,1599 ****
  	   (set-default var value)
  	   (mapc 'frame-set-background-mode (frame-list)))
    :initialize 'custom-initialize-changed
!   :type '(choice (choice-item dark)
! 		 (choice-item light)
! 		 (choice-item :tag "default" nil)))

  (defvar default-frame-background-mode nil
    "Internal variable for the default brightness of the background.
--- 1591,1599 ----
  	   (set-default var value)
  	   (mapc 'frame-set-background-mode (frame-list)))
    :initialize 'custom-initialize-changed
!   :type '(choice (const dark)
! 		 (const light)
! 		 (const :tag "automatic" nil)))

From: Richard M. Stallman @ 2005-11-20 23:22 UTC (permalink / raw
  Cc: juri, emacs-devel

    Wouldn't it be better to use the same syntax for members of
    all supported archivers (gzip, zip, tar)?

gzip is not an archiver, it is a compression program.

    Currently `buffer-file-name' of the visited archive member
    uses three different syntaxes:

    "/home/handa/temp.po.gz"

That is not a special convention, it is the file name.

    "/home/handa/temp.zip:vi.po"
    "/home/handa/temp.tar!vi.po"

Changing the zip case to use ! instead of : is ok with me.