all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* emacs 22.1 only starts in terminal
@ 2007-06-11  8:29 flebber
From: flebber @ 2007-06-11  8:29 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi

I recently installed Emacs 22.1 from source on a PclinuxOs 2007
install. The install went well apparently without errors. However the
only way I can use  emacs is through  a konsole or xterm  session . I
also tried to make a menu entry for emacs in the menu editor (I am
using KDE) , I simply put the command entry as 'emacs' however this
fails to work at all. Will emacs only work as part of a terminal
session or is there something else I should do.  I am going to try it
on my Debian(Etch) install later.

Cheers

Flebber

PS works perfect as part of a terminal session.

* Re: emacs 22.1 only starts in terminal
@ 2007-06-11  8:33 ` flebber
From: flebber @ 2007-06-11  8:33 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Jun 11, 6:29 pm, flebber <flebber.c...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi
>
> I recently installed Emacs 22.1 from source on a PclinuxOs 2007
> install. The install went well apparently without errors. However the
> only way I can use  emacs is through  a konsole or xterm  session . I
> also tried to make a menu entry for emacs in the menu editor (I am
> using KDE) , I simply put the command entry as 'emacs' however this
> fails to work at all. Will emacs only work as part of a terminal
> session or is there something else I should do.  I am going to try it
> on my Debian(Etch) install later.
>
> Cheers
>
> Flebber
>
> PS works perfect as part of a terminal session.

PPS If it is only suppossed to start in a terminal is there a
preferred terminal that is more compatible.

* Re: emacs 22.1 only starts in terminal
@ 2007-06-11  9:17 ` Nick Roberts
       [not found]   ` <mailman.1917.1181553697.32220.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Nick Roberts @ 2007-06-11  9:17 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: flebber; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

 > I recently installed Emacs 22.1 from source on a PclinuxOs 2007
 > install. The install went well apparently without errors. However the
 > only way I can use  emacs is through  a konsole or xterm  session . I
 > also tried to make a menu entry for emacs in the menu editor (I am
 > using KDE) , I simply put the command entry as 'emacs' however this
 > fails to work at all. Will emacs only work as part of a terminal
 > session or is there something else I should do.  I am going to try it
 > on my Debian(Etch) install later.

You're probably missing some header files, e.g, /usr/include/ncurses.h (on
Ubuntu it's in the package libncurses5-dev).  You can check by looking through
config.log in the top directory.  Also, when you run configure at the start, a
list of how it will build is given at the end.

* Re: emacs 22.1 only starts in terminal
@ 2007-06-11  9:21   ` Nick Roberts
       [not found]   ` <mailman.1917.1181553697.32220.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Nick Roberts @ 2007-06-11  9:21 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: flebber, help-gnu-emacs

 > You're probably missing some header files, e.g, /usr/include/ncurses.h (on
 > Ubuntu it's in the package libncurses5-dev).  You can check by looking
 > through config.log in the top directory.  Also, when you run configure at
 > the start, a list of how it will build is given at the end.

Sorry, I don't mean /usr/include/ncurses.h, of course.  I mean X related
headers.  You could use Xaw, or gtk packages, but you need the dev variant
for the headers to build (regular variant for libraries is enough to run).

@ 2007-06-11 11:06     ` flebber
From: flebber @ 2007-06-11 11:06 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Jun 11, 7:21 pm, Nick Roberts <nick...@snap.net.nz> wrote:
>  > You're probably missing some header files, e.g, /usr/include/ncurses.h (on
>  > Ubuntu it's in the package libncurses5-dev).  You can check by looking
>  > through config.log in the top directory.  Also, when you run configure at
>  > the start, a list of how it will build is given at the end.
>
> Sorry, I don't mean /usr/include/ncurses.h, of course.  I mean X related
> headers.  You could use Xaw, or gtk packages, but you need the dev variant
> for the headers to build (regular variant for libraries is enough to run).
>
> --
> Nick                                          http://www.inet.net.nz/~nickrob

So this was my output after ./configure

 What operating system and machine description files should Emacs use?
        `s/gnu-linux.h' and `m/intel386.h'
  What compiler should emacs be built with?               gcc -g -O2 -
Wno-pointer-sign
  Should Emacs use the GNU version of malloc?             yes
      (Using Doug Lea's new malloc from the GNU C Library.)
  Should Emacs use a relocating allocator for buffers?    yes
  Should Emacs use mmap(2) for buffer allocation?         no
  What window system should Emacs use?                    x11
  What toolkit should Emacs use?                          none
  Where do we find X Windows header files?                Standard
dirs
  Where do we find X Windows libraries?                   Standard
dirs
  Does Emacs use -lXaw3d?                                 no
  Does Emacs use -lXpm?                                   no
  Does Emacs use -ljpeg?                                  yes
  Does Emacs use -ltiff?                                  no
  Does Emacs use -lungif?                                 no
  Does Emacs use -lpng?                                   no
  Does Emacs use X toolkit scroll bars?                   no

@ 2007-06-11 11:19     ` flebber
From: flebber @ 2007-06-11 11:19 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Jun 11, 7:21 pm, Nick Roberts <nick...@snap.net.nz> wrote:
>  > You're probably missing some header files, e.g, /usr/include/ncurses.h (on
>  > Ubuntu it's in the package libncurses5-dev).  You can check by looking
>  > through config.log in the top directory.  Also, when you run configure at
>  > the start, a list of how it will build is given at the end.
>
> Sorry, I don't mean /usr/include/ncurses.h, of course.  I mean X related
> headers.  You could use Xaw, or gtk packages, but you need the dev variant
> for the headers to build (regular variant for libraries is enough to run).
>
> --
> Nick                                          http://www.inet.net.nz/~nickrob

I found this list of X packages required however, it is based on Woody
so it is a little old and not all are available anymore So I installed
as many as possible.

For a fully featured Emacs, you need the following libraries (thanks
to MilesBader):

   libc6-dev
   libjpeg62-dev
   libncurses5-dev
   libpng-dev
   libtiff3g-dev
   libungif4-dev
   xaw3dg-dev
   xlibs-dev
   zlib1g-dev

libc6-dev and xlibs-dev included for completeness. This information is
all with respect to 'woody' (a distribution of Debian).

* [Solved}Re: emacs 22.1 only starts in terminal
@ 2007-06-11 12:12       ` flebber
From: flebber @ 2007-06-11 12:12 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Jun 11, 9:19 pm, flebber <flebber.c...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Jun 11, 7:21 pm, Nick Roberts <nick...@snap.net.nz> wrote:
>
> >  > You're probably missing some header files, e.g, /usr/include/ncurses.h (on
> >  > Ubuntu it's in the package libncurses5-dev).  You can check by looking
> >  > through config.log in the top directory.  Also, when you run configure at
> >  > the start, a list of how it will build is given at the end.
>
> > Sorry, I don't mean /usr/include/ncurses.h, of course.  I mean X related
> > headers.  You could use Xaw, or gtk packages, but you need the dev variant
> > for the headers to build (regular variant for libraries is enough to run).
>
> > --
> > Nick                                          http://www.inet.net.nz/~nickrob
>
> I found this list of X packages required however, it is based on Woody
> so it is a little old and not all are available anymore So I installed
> as many as possible.
>
> For a fully featured Emacs, you need the following libraries (thanks
> to MilesBader):
>
>    libc6-dev
>    libjpeg62-dev
>    libncurses5-dev
>    libpng-dev
>    libtiff3g-dev
>    libungif4-dev
>    xaw3dg-dev
>    xlibs-dev
>    zlib1g-dev
>
> libc6-dev and xlibs-dev included for completeness. This information is
> all with respect to 'woody' (a distribution of Debian).

installed XorgX11 package and configured with athena ./configure --
with-x-toolkit=athena

* Re: emacs 22.1 only starts in terminal
@ 2007-06-12  0:07 ` Tim X
From: Tim X @ 2007-06-12  0:07 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

flebber <flebber.crue@gmail.com> writes:

> Hi
>
> I recently installed Emacs 22.1 from source on a PclinuxOs 2007
> install. The install went well apparently without errors. However the
> only way I can use  emacs is through  a konsole or xterm  session . I
> also tried to make a menu entry for emacs in the menu editor (I am
> using KDE) , I simply put the command entry as 'emacs' however this
> fails to work at all. Will emacs only work as part of a terminal
> session or is there something else I should do.  I am going to try it
> on my Debian(Etch) install later.

Sounds like you have failed to build emacs with X support. Emacs 22 supports
two GUI libraries - the traditional X toolkit/motif libraries we are all
familiar with and GTK+. While the configure program will try to select one of
these, you need to have the necessary development libs for X/GTK installed. You
should also pass the appropriate switches to configure (i.e. x-toolkit=...) and
make sure that the output from configure actually finds things, like the dev
libs for the GUI widgets you want to build with etc.

I would suggest you read the documentation carefully and not just follow the
'quick start' - there are lots of options, such as support for sound, support
for various image types, font types, etc. It is important to check the output
from configure to make sure all the necessary libraries and programs are found.

Tim

P.S. If you plan to do this on Debian and you want to have the same sort of
integration as you do with Debain versions of emacs, don't forget to update the
startup.el file so that it sets the debian-emacs-flavor variable and knows
where to find and load the necessary debian startup stuff. Remember you need to
do this 'before' building emacs to ensure these changes are in the image the
build process dumps.

--
tcross (at) rapttech dot com dot au