all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Reload .emacs
@ 2007-08-03  9:26 Henrik Austad
From: Henrik Austad @ 2007-08-03  9:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi all!

I'm configuring my emacs22.1, and I catch myself restarting emacs (quit and start) for every change.
Are there any ways of just reloading the .emacs-file without restarting emacs?

I've googled for 'emacs reload config' and variants thereof, but I'm not finding a useful guide.

If there are places I *should* have read before bugging you with these kind of questions, please let me
know - I don't mean to annoy you! :-)

thanks

--
henrik

* Re: Reload .emacs
@ 2007-08-03 20:44 ` Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2007-08-03 20:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Henrik Austad; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 03.08.2007 um 11:26 schrieb Henrik Austad:

> Are there any ways of just reloading the .emacs-file without
> restarting emacs?

Not really. An init file can do other things than some other Elisp
file. Elisp libraries or files can get loaded/reloaded depending on
variables set/reset/unset ...

BTW, what do you mean with "I'm configuring my emacs22.1?"

--
Greetings

   Pete

Time flies like an error -- but fruit flies like a banana!
                              (almost Groucho Marx)

* Re: Reload .emacs
       [not found] <mailman.4356.1186173019.32220.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2007-08-03 20:52 ` Arjen Wiersma
From: Arjen Wiersma @ 2007-08-03 20:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

henrikau@januz.zapto.org (Henrik Austad) writes:

> I'm configuring my emacs22.1, and I catch myself restarting emacs (quit and
> start) for every change.  Are there any ways of just reloading the
> .emacs-file without restarting emacs?
>
> I've googled for 'emacs reload config' and variants thereof, but I'm not
> finding a useful guide.
>
> If there are places I *should* have read before bugging you with these kind
> of questions, please let me know - I don't mean to annoy you! :-)

How about eval-buffer?

,----[ C-h f eval-buffer RET ]
| eval-buffer is an interactive built-in function in `C source code'.
| (eval-buffer &optional BUFFER PRINTFLAG FILENAME UNIBYTE DO-ALLOW-PRINT)
|
| Execute the current buffer as Lisp code.
| Programs can pass two arguments, BUFFER and PRINTFLAG.
| BUFFER is the buffer to evaluate (nil means use current buffer).
| PRINTFLAG controls printing of output:
| A value of nil means discard it; anything else is stream for print.
|
| If the optional third argument FILENAME is non-nil,
| it specifies the file name to use for `load-history'.
| The optional fourth argument UNIBYTE specifies `load-convert-to-unibyte'
| for this invocation.
|
| The optional fifth argument DO-ALLOW-PRINT, if non-nil, specifies that
| `print' and related functions should work normally even if PRINTFLAG is nil.
|
| This function preserves the position of point.
`----

Regards,

Arjen

* Re: Reload .emacs
@ 2007-08-03 21:12   ` Harald Hanche-Olsen
From: Harald Hanche-Olsen @ 2007-08-03 21:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

+ Arjen Wiersma <coreSPAM@credmp.org>:

| How about eval-buffer?

Or even eval-last-sexp.  That's what I use all the time, if I have
made one change in .emacs, I place the cursor after the changed
definition or whatever and hit C-x C-e.

  -- Bertrand Russell

* Re: Reload .emacs
@ 2007-08-03 21:28 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2007-08-03 21:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> Date: Fri, 3 Aug 2007 11:26:56 +0200
> From: henrikau@januz.zapto.org (Henrik Austad)
>
> Are there any ways of just reloading the .emacs-file without restarting emacs?
You can manually evaluate the additions you make.  Go to the closing
parenthesis of each expression and type "C-x C-e".

* Re: Reload .emacs
@ 2007-08-03 22:02   ` Amy Templeton
From: Amy Templeton @ 2007-08-03 22:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> wrote:
> > Date: Fri, 3 Aug 2007 11:26:56 +0200
> > From: henrikau@januz.zapto.org (Henrik Austad)
> >
> > Are there any ways of just reloading the .emacs-file without
> > restarting emacs?
> You can manually evaluate the additions you make.  Go to the closing
> parenthesis of each expression and type "C-x C-e".

Alternately, if you've done a lot of work, you can highlight the
region and do "M-x eval-region RET" to evaluate it, or if you've
changed the whole buffer you can do "M-x eval-buffer RET", but I
wouldn't generally advise that for reloading the init file because
there might be things in there that'll toggle, which could mess
things up for you.

Amy

--
A lifetime isn't nearly long enough to figure out what it's all about.

* Re: Reload .emacs
@ 2007-08-04  8:20     ` Reiner Steib
From: Reiner Steib @ 2007-08-04  8:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Sat, Aug 04 2007, Amy Templeton wrote:

> [...] or if you've changed the whole buffer you can do "M-x
> eval-buffer RET", but I wouldn't generally advise that for reloading
> the init file because there might be things in there that'll toggle,
> which could mess things up for you.

Then you should probably fix your setup.  Some examples:

Instead of...
  (foo-bar-mode);; toggle foo-bar mode
use...
  (foo-bar-mode 1);; enable foo-bar mode

Use `add-to-list' instead of `push'.  Etc.

Bye, Reiner.
--
       ,,,
      (o o)

@ 2007-08-07 10:44 ` Tim X
From: Tim X @ 2007-08-07 10:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

henrikau@januz.zapto.org (Henrik Austad) writes:

> Hi all!
>
> I'm configuring my emacs22.1, and I catch myself restarting emacs (quit and start) for every change.
> Are there any ways of just reloading the .emacs-file without restarting emacs?
>
> I've googled for 'emacs reload config' and variants thereof, but I'm not finding a useful guide.
>
> If there are places I *should* have read before bugging you with these kind of questions, please let me
> know - I don't mean to annoy you! :-)

Is there a specific reason why you need to reload the whole file?

I usually just make changes in the file and put cursor at the end of the sexp
and hit C-x C-e to eval it.

Tim

--
tcross (at) rapttech dot com dot au