all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Memory leak?
@ 2008-05-16 20:16 [AvataR]
From: [AvataR] @ 2008-05-16 20:16 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: emacs-orgmode

Good time of day!

I try to use Org-mode and discover possible memory leak.
When i'm in simple org mode, and press [TAB] for a lot, looks like an
legion of Langoliers eat my memory. In 10-20 seconds emacs uses about
100M of RAM.

But I have only 256! :)

Is it normal behaivour?

Sorry for my ugly english :]

* Re: Memory leak?
@ 2008-05-19 13:57 ` Joel J. Adamson
From: Joel J. Adamson @ 2008-05-19 13:57 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: [AvataR]; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

public.avatar@gmail.com ([AvataR]) writes:

> Good time of day!
>
> I try to use Org-mode and discover possible memory leak.
> When i'm in simple org mode, and press [TAB] for a lot, looks like an
> legion of Langoliers eat my memory. In 10-20 seconds emacs uses about
> 100M of RAM.

In what context are you pressing TAB?  Are you completing something?

Joel
--
Joel J. Adamson
Biostatistician

Ineffective security measure:

The information transmitted in this electronic communication is intended only
for the person or entity to whom it is addressed and may contain confidential
use of or taking of any action in reliance upon this information by persons or
information in error, please contact the Compliance HelpLine at 800-856-1983 and
properly dispose of this information.

* Memory leak?
@ 2008-08-02 13:20 Alan Mackenzie
From: Alan Mackenzie @ 2008-08-02 13:20 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: emacs-devel

Hi, Emacs,

in my recent attempts to build Emacs-23, I have encountered Seg-faults
continually.  These occur when the (prototype) Emacs is byte-compiling
the mass of Emacs lisp files.

However, if I just type 'make', the build continues.

My system is Debian-Sarge GNU/Linux.

My first suspicion was that my swap partition was too small.  So I
terminated all competing applications, but that didn't prevent the
problem.

So I suspect there is a store leak somewhere.  Would somebody please
suggest some appropriate tool(s) for me to look at this with.  A graphic
X-Window program continuously displaying allocated/free store is the
sort of thing I'm thinking of.

Thanks!

--
Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).

* Re: Memory leak?
@ 2008-08-02 16:09 ` David Kastrup
From: David Kastrup @ 2008-08-02 16:09 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: emacs-devel

Alan Mackenzie <acm@muc.de> writes:

> Hi, Emacs,
>
> in my recent attempts to build Emacs-23, I have encountered Seg-faults
> continually.  These occur when the (prototype) Emacs is byte-compiling
> the mass of Emacs lisp files.
>
> However, if I just type 'make', the build continues.
>
> My system is Debian-Sarge GNU/Linux.
>
> My first suspicion was that my swap partition was too small.  So I
> terminated all competing applications, but that didn't prevent the
> problem.
>
> So I suspect there is a store leak somewhere.

A normal leak would not likely bring a byte compile session to a
standstill.  It is more likely that you have run out of pure space when
dumping Emacs.  When that happens, garbage collection is no longer done
at all.  If you write
M-: (garbage-collect) RET
and get nil, this has happened.

Try recompiling Emacs and watch for "pure space overflow".

* Re: Memory leak?
@ 2008-08-03  1:44 ` Gilaras Drakeson
From: Gilaras Drakeson @ 2008-08-03  1:44 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: emacs-devel

Hi,

> in my recent attempts to build Emacs-23, I have encountered Seg-faults
> continually.  These occur when the (prototype) Emacs is byte-compiling
> the mass of Emacs lisp files.
>
> However, if I just type 'make', the build continues.
>
> My system is Debian-Sarge GNU/Linux.

Does cat /proc/sys/kernel/randomize_va_space return 2, by any chance? I
get a segfault in that case on Debian sid GNU/Linux, whenever I try to
dump-emacs.

Gilaras Drakeson