all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* How to setup Emacs to load a file right after startup
@ 2008-06-17 12:32 Paul Csanyi
From: Paul Csanyi @ 2008-06-17 12:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hello!

I have installed GNU Emacs 22.1.1 (i486-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version
2.8.20) of 2008-04-15 on Debian GNU/Linux Etch system.

I wish to be opened a file right after Emacs startup.

How can I do that?

--
Regards, Paul Csanyi

* Re: How to setup Emacs to load a file right after startup
@ 2008-06-17 13:59 ` Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2008-06-17 13:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Paul Csanyi; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 17.06.2008 um 14:32 schrieb Paul Csanyi:

> I wish to be opened a file right after Emacs startup.
>
> How can I do that?

	(find-file "file")

in your init file. Or C-h t and then C-x C-f manually.

--
Greetings

   Pete

This is a signature virus.  Add me to your signature and help me to live

* Re: How to setup Emacs to load a file right after startup
       [not found] <mailman.13445.1213705963.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2008-06-17 14:44 ` nakkaya
From: nakkaya @ 2008-06-17 14:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

add this to your .emacs

(find-file "/path/to/file")

--
Nurullah Akkaya

* Re: How to setup Emacs to load a file right after startup
@ 2008-06-17 17:20 ` Joel J. Adamson
From: Joel J. Adamson @ 2008-06-17 17:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Paul Csanyi; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Paul Csanyi <csanyipal@gmail.com> writes:

> Hello!
>
> I have installed GNU Emacs 22.1.1 (i486-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version
> 2.8.20) of 2008-04-15 on Debian GNU/Linux Etch system.
>
> I wish to be opened a file right after Emacs startup.
>
> How can I do that?

Open it from the command line:

> emacs paul.c

Joel

--
Joel J. Adamson
(303) 880-3109

* Re: How to setup Emacs to load a file right after startup
@ 2008-06-18  6:37   ` Paul Csanyi
From: Paul Csanyi @ 2008-06-18  6:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

adamsonj@email.unc.edu (Joel J. Adamson) writes:

> Paul Csanyi <csanyipal@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> I have installed GNU Emacs 22.1.1 (i486-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version
>> 2.8.20) of 2008-04-15 on Debian GNU/Linux Etch system.
>>
>> I wish to be opened a file right after Emacs startup.
>>
>> How can I do that?

(find-file "path_to_file")

works for me.

--

@ 2008-06-18 19:04     ` Joel J. Adamson
From: Joel J. Adamson @ 2008-06-18 19:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Paul Csanyi; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Paul Csanyi <csanyipal@gmail.com> writes:

> adamsonj@email.unc.edu (Joel J. Adamson) writes:
>
>> Paul Csanyi <csanyipal@gmail.com> writes:
>>
>>> I have installed GNU Emacs 22.1.1 (i486-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version
>>> 2.8.20) of 2008-04-15 on Debian GNU/Linux Etch system.
>>>
>>> I wish to be opened a file right after Emacs startup.
>>>
>>> How can I do that?
>
> (find-file "path_to_file")
>
> works for me.

Yeah, I saw the other replies, I just thought I should let you know there
is more than one way to do it.  My question would be why do you want to
do it that way?

Joel

--

@ 2008-06-18 20:47       ` Paul Csanyi
From: Paul Csanyi @ 2008-06-18 20:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

adamsonj@email.unc.edu (Joel J. Adamson) writes:

>> (find-file "path_to_file")
>>
>> works for me.
>
> Yeah, I saw the other replies, I just thought I should let you know there
> is more than one way to do it.  My question would be why do you want to
> do it that way?
>
> Joel

Thank you Joel!

I want to do it that way is that that I use Window Maker
windowmanager, and I have App Icon for the Emacs.

When I want to use Emacs I just click on his App Icon and Emacs
starts.

I use Org-mode all the time in Emacs, so to me it is good to have
opened one OrgFile.org in the Emacs when it is started.

Using .emacs file is for me the intuitive way when I am using Emacs.

However I can setup App Icon of Emacs with command:
'emacs OrgFile.org' too to get what I want, but that way is not so
close with Emacs and Lisp.

--

@ 2008-06-18 21:52   ` nakkaya
From: nakkaya @ 2008-06-18 21:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

also take a look at the following modes

this saves open buffers on exit they will be loaded when emacs boots.
http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/DeskTop

this one saves the cursor. and restores it to where you left it.
http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/SavePlace
--
Nurullah Akkaya

* Re: How to setup Emacs to load a file right after startup
@ 2008-06-19  2:23         ` Joel J. Adamson
From: Joel J. Adamson @ 2008-06-19  2:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Paul Csanyi; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Paul Csanyi <csanyipal@gmail.com> writes:

>>> (find-file "path_to_file")
>>>
>>> works for me.
>>
>> Yeah, I saw the other replies, I just thought I should let you know there
>> is more than one way to do it.  My question would be why do you want to
>> do it that way?

[...]

> I use Org-mode all the time in Emacs, so to me it is good to have
> opened one OrgFile.org in the Emacs when it is started.

Ahh...so do I: my way of doing things is to go to my agenda after Emacs
starts (C-a a).  That opens all my agenda files.  With
org-agenda-file-regexp set to "\\`[^.].*\\.org\\'", all the files open
automatically.  You'll also have to set a default directory for your org files.

Perhaps you should put (org-agenda-goto-today) in your .emacs?  I'm
debating whether to do this right now as I write, however my tendency
has been to avoid starting any modes or opening any files, as it slows
things down, and when I want a quick startup, that's when I notice it.

Joel