Please describe exactly what actions triggered the bug and the precise symptoms of the bug: I would first like to note that I really like the work being done on fonts in the currnt development sources. My ~/.Xresources contains the following related to emacs: Emacs*foreground: white Emacs*background: black Emacs*FontBackend: xft, x Emacs was run as follows. EMACS_FONT_LOG=1 emacs -Q -fn "DejaVu Sans Mono:size=15" M-x list-faces-display fixed-pitch is showing up as boxes. `C-u C-x =' on one of these displays the following: character: a (97, #o141, #x61) preferred charset: ascii (ASCII (ISO646 IRV)) code point: 0x61 syntax: w which means: word category: a:ASCII graphic characters 32-126 (ISO646 IRV:1983[4/0]) l:Latin r:Japanese roman buffer code: #x61 file code: #x61 (encoded by coding system utf-8-unix) display: no font available Character code properties are not shown: customize what to show Here is a `help-face' button labeled `abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ'. There are text properties here: auto-composed t button (t) category help-face-button face fixed-pitch help-args (fixed-pitch) read-face-name fixed-pitch [back] This face is especially important because it appears in the Emacs splash page displayed to first time users. Here are the contents of my font log: