all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* How to stop Doc View converting PDF
@ 2008-10-02 14:14 Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2008-10-02 14:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: GNU Emacs List

Hello!

I have good tools to display PDF files. In GNU Emacs (23.0.60) I
would like to see the PDF code – how can I tell Doc View to never
convert PDF files (except when I invoke doc-view)? By changing lisp/
doc-view.el?

--
Greetings

   Pete

				– Mark Twain

* Re: How to stop Doc View converting PDF
       [not found] <mailman.42.1222956937.25473.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2008-10-02 15:15 ` Andy Stewart
From: Andy Stewart @ 2008-10-02 15:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> Hello!
>
> I have good tools to display PDF files. In GNU Emacs (23.0.60) I would like to see the PDF code –
> how can I tell Doc View to never  convert PDF files (except when I invoke doc-view)? By changing
> lisp/ doc-view.el?
>
> --
> Greetings
>
>   Pete
>
> Be careful of reading health books, you might die of a misprint.
> 				– Mark Twain

(doc-view-kill-proc-and-buffer), it's binding 'x' in doc-view mode.

* Re: How to stop Doc View converting PDF
@ 2008-10-02 16:35 ` Reiner Steib
From: Reiner Steib @ 2008-10-02 16:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Thu, Oct 02 2008, Peter Dyballa wrote:

> In GNU Emacs (23.0.60) I would like to see the PDF code – how can I
> tell Doc View to never convert PDF files (except when I invoke
> doc-view)?

Remove the entry
 ("\\.\\(?:PDF\\|DVI\\|pdf\\|dvi\\)\\'" . doc-view-mode)
from `auto-mode-alist' (or add one for fundamental mode).

(setq auto-mode-alist
      (delete '("\\.\\(?:PDF\\|DVI\\|pdf\\|dvi\\)\\'" . doc-view-mode)
	      auto-mode-alist))

> By changing lisp/ doc-view.el?

Are you kidding?

Bye, Reiner.
--
       ,,,
      (o o)

* Re: How to stop Doc View converting PDF
@ 2008-10-02 18:59   ` Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2008-10-02 18:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Reiner Steib; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 02.10.2008 um 18:35 schrieb Reiner Steib:

>> By changing lisp/ doc-view.el?
>
> Are you kidding?

No, I mean it! The user interface is poor. I have to be fast enough
to stop conversion. And when I succeeded I have no chance to view the
PDF file's contents. When I wait until PDF has been converted to PNG
and type C-c C-c to switch to the PDF code, I see only open boxes and
control characters. Without doc-view.el, in GNU Emacs 22.3, I can
clearly see the PDF file's contents ...

The other option is to change GNU Emacs files to not load doc-view-el
into the programme ...

--
Mit friedvollen Grüßen

   Pete

Reisen bildet - vor allem Staus auf Autobahnen.	(Michael Schiff)

* Re: How to stop Doc View converting PDF
@ 2008-10-02 21:37     ` Reiner Steib
From: Reiner Steib @ 2008-10-02 21:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Thu, Oct 02 2008, Peter Dyballa wrote:

> No, I mean it! The user interface is poor. I have to be fast enough to stop
> conversion.

I can't see such a problem with the Gnus manual (gnus.pdf, 450 pages).

> And when I succeeded I have no chance to view the PDF file's
> contents. When I wait until PDF has been converted to PNG and type
> C-c C-c to switch to the PDF code, I see only open boxes and control
> characters. Without doc-view.el, in GNU Emacs 22.3, I can clearly
> see the PDF file's contents ...

I can't see a difference between Emacs CVS and Emacs 22 here.

I'd suggest to report the problems as a bug including a test case.

Bye, Reiner.
--
       ,,,
      (o o)

* Re: How to stop Doc View converting PDF
@ 2008-10-03 15:17       ` Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2008-10-03 15:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Reiner Steib; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 02.10.2008 um 23:37 schrieb Reiner Steib:

>> When I wait until PDF has been converted to PNG and type
>> C-c C-c to switch to the PDF code, I see only open boxes and control
>> characters.

It looks as if this behaviour could be part of my customisation of
GNU Emacs 23.0.60! The more it will rain the faster I'll find the cause.

--
Mit friedvollen Grüßen

   Pete

To drink without thirst and to make love all the time, madam, it is
only these which distinguish us from the other beasts.
				– Beaumarchais