all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* same-buffer-window-names
@ 2009-06-03 15:57 Sean Sieger
From: Sean Sieger @ 2009-06-03 15:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

In

GNU Emacs 23.0.94.1 (i686-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.14.4) of
2009-05-24 on g41r2f1

I have

(nconc same-window-buffer-names '("*Buffer List*"))

in my dotemacs, but I have noticed recently that from say *Calendar*
buffer ... hmm, can't think of the others, but there have been others,
that doing C-x C-b doesn't give me a single window and *Buffer List* in
it.  (Shoot, I hope I used the right terminology thereby not obscuring
what I am trying to report.)

I have either not noticed such a nuance or somethings changed, no?  I'll
update and recompile, but I think that I have a couple times recently
because of pretests and the issue's been noticeable.

Thank you ...

* RE: same-buffer-window-names
@ 2009-06-03 16:12 ` Drew Adams
From: Drew Adams @ 2009-06-03 16:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Sean Sieger', help-gnu-emacs

> (nconc same-window-buffer-names '("*Buffer List*"))
> C-x C-b doesn't give me a single window and *Buffer List* in it.

Not sure what you're trying to do, but it seems unlikely that you need/want to
use `nconc' here.

My crystal ball divines that this is what you really want:
(add-to-list 'same-window-buffer-names "*Buffer List*")

Or just Customize `same-window-buffer-names'.

If order were important (it's not, here), and you wanted *Buffer List* appended
instead of prepended, you could use this:
(add-to-list 'same-window-buffer-names "*Buffer List*" 'append)

* Re: same-buffer-window-names
@ 2009-06-03 16:37 martin rudalics
From: martin rudalics @ 2009-06-03 16:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: sean.sieger; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

 > I have
 >
 > (nconc same-window-buffer-names '("*Buffer List*"))
 >
 > in my dotemacs, but I have noticed recently that from say *Calendar*
 > buffer ... hmm, can't think of the others, but there have been others,
 > that doing C-x C-b doesn't give me a single window and *Buffer List* in
 > it.  (Shoot, I hope I used the right terminology thereby not obscuring
 > what I am trying to report.)

Works as expected here with a build from 2009-05-31.  So please give a
recipe of what you expected to happen and what really happened,
preferably using emacs -Q.

Thank you, martin.

* Re: same-buffer-window-names
@ 2009-06-04  0:37   ` Sean Sieger
From: Sean Sieger @ 2009-06-04  0:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

    > (nconc same-window-buffer-names '("*Buffer List*"))
    > C-x C-b doesn't give me a single window and *Buffer List* in it.

    Not sure what you're trying to do, but it seems unlikely that you need/want to
    use `nconc' here.

I put that elisp (gleaned from this list) in years ago because I thought
it scratched an itch C-x C-b gave me when point didn't `end up' in the
*Buffer List* buffer and said buffer didn't singularly occupy the
window.  To be honest with ya Drew, I'd have to look up nconc right now
to even know what it is.

    My crystal ball divines that this is what you really want:
    (add-to-list 'same-window-buffer-names "*Buffer List*")

Thank you, Drew, doggonit, there's a family of gypsies living in a
`psychic' storefront right across my NYC street that I could have asked,
maybe.  True story (though divining what elisp is might have made them
sweat a little).  I will try your code.

    Or just Customize `same-window-buffer-names'.

Customize bugs me.  I've tried `learning' from it, finding things in it,
and changing my own emacs.

    If order were important (it's not, here), and you wanted *Buffer List* appended
    instead of prepended, you could use this:
    (add-to-list 'same-window-buffer-names "*Buffer List*" 'append)

Thank you, I have to learn about the variable that I have asked you
about.  Sounds irresponsible, doesn't it, adding elisp to one's dotemacs
without reading up on the elements of the list??