all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Quick folder/file access in Emacs
@ 2009-07-16  3:23 Ivan Zdravkovic
From: Ivan Zdravkovic @ 2009-07-16  3:23 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

How do you generally open files in Emacs? Is it always using find-file or you use some shortcuts to access commonly used folders/files? For example, if you have a project currently working on, which contains files spread in different folders, say:
- Apache config files in /opt/apache/...
- Source of your newest PHP application in ~/php/...
- Some configuration of your DNS server in /etc/...
- <add files in distant folders>
do you find-file all of them (or dired in a similar fashion), or do you use something else to quickly access them?

* Re: Quick folder/file access in Emacs
       [not found] <mailman.2611.1247719826.2239.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2009-07-16  9:31 ` Anselm Helbig
From: Anselm Helbig @ 2009-07-16  9:31 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

At Wed, 15 Jul 2009 20:23:15 -0700 (PDT),
Ivan Zdravkovic <izi_ttm@yahoo.com> wrote:

> [1  <text/plain; us-ascii (7bit)>]
>
> [2  <text/html; us-ascii (7bit)>]
> How do you generally open files in Emacs? Is it always using find-file or you use some shortcuts to access commonly used folders/files? For example, if you have a project currently
> working on, which contains files spread in different folders, say:
> - Apache config files in /opt/apache/...
> - Source of your newest PHP application in ~/php/...
> - Some configuration of your DNS server in /etc/...
> - <add files in distant folders>
> do you find-file all of them (or dired in a similar fashion), or do you use something else to quickly access them?

I use

  http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/BookMarks

and

  http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/InteractivelyDoThings

These features might also be of interest:

  http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/FileNameCache
  http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/FileSets
  http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/RecentFiles

This is just scratching the surface, there are some more extensions
you might like that make emacs aware of a "project". Here's a list:

  http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/CategoryProgrammerUtils#ProjectSupport

HTH,

Anselm

--
Anselm Helbig
mailto:anselm.helbig+news2009@googlemail.com

* Re: Quick folder/file access in Emacs
@ 2009-07-16 10:18   ` Thierry Volpiatto
From: Thierry Volpiatto @ 2009-07-16 10:18 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

If you have projects, these one are may be under version control.
If you use DVC,
<http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/DistributedVersionControl>
you will be able to use dvc-bookmarks, and access your files from here.
(and much more, log, pull, push etc...)
Unlike bookmarks, you can create differents trees for each project,
close trees, open trees, have a different color for each tree, timestamp
for each tree and each project ...etc...

--
A + Thierry Volpiatto
Location: Saint-Cyr-Sur-Mer - France

@ 2009-07-16 16:27 ` Ted Zlatanov
       [not found]   ` <mailman.2634.1247769693.2239.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Ted Zlatanov @ 2009-07-16 16:27 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Wed, 15 Jul 2009 20:23:15 -0700 (PDT) Ivan Zdravkovic <izi_ttm@yahoo.com> wrote:

IZ> How do you generally open files in Emacs? Is it always using find-file or you use some shortcuts to access commonly used folders/files? For example, if you have a project currently working on, which contains files spread in different folders, say:
IZ> - Apache config files in /opt/apache/...
IZ> - Source of your newest PHP application in ~/php/...
IZ> - Some configuration of your DNS server in /etc/...
IZ> - <add files in distant folders>
IZ> do you find-file all of them (or dired in a similar fashion), or do you use something else to quickly access them?

I use anything.el:

http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/emacs/anything-config.el
http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/emacs/Anything

It's really useful.  I especially like to turn on the `locate' results,
so I can quickly find results from the whole filesystem.  Plus, another
calculator never hurts.

Ted

* Re: Quick folder/file access in Emacs
@ 2009-07-16 18:34   ` Thierry Volpiatto
       [not found]   ` <mailman.2634.1247769693.2239.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Thierry Volpiatto @ 2009-07-16 18:34 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Ted Zlatanov <tzz@lifelogs.com> writes:

> On Wed, 15 Jul 2009 20:23:15 -0700 (PDT) Ivan Zdravkovic <izi_ttm@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> IZ> How do you generally open files in Emacs? Is it always using find-file or you use some shortcuts to access commonly used folders/files? For example, if you have a project currently working on, which contains files spread in different folders, say:
> IZ> - Apache config files in /opt/apache/...
> IZ> - Source of your newest PHP application in ~/php/...
> IZ> - Some configuration of your DNS server in /etc/...
> IZ> - <add files in distant folders>
> IZ> do you find-file all of them (or dired in a similar fashion), or do you use something else to quickly access them?
>
> I use anything.el:
>
> http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/emacs/anything-config.el
> http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/emacs/Anything
>
> It's really useful.  I especially like to turn on the `locate' results,
> so I can quickly find results from the whole filesystem.  Plus, another
> calculator never hurts.

In addition to locate, if you use anything-traverse.el, you will be able
to search files recursively in a directory tree.You can have these datas
persistent between emacs sessions if you want.
I can index the 35000 files of my home directory with that.
You can have an index in any directory.

--

@ 2009-07-16 19:24     ` Ted Zlatanov
From: Ted Zlatanov @ 2009-07-16 19:24 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Thu, 16 Jul 2009 20:34:45 +0200 Thierry Volpiatto <thierry.volpiatto@gmail.com> wrote:

TV> In addition to locate, if you use anything-traverse.el, you will be able
TV> to search files recursively in a directory tree.You can have these datas
TV> persistent between emacs sessions if you want.
TV> I can index the 35000 files of my home directory with that.
TV> You can have an index in any directory.

That is nice for specific subsets.  I use locate to search across
millions of files (SVN repository with many checked-out branches); it's
slower but since it's asynchronous I don't mind.

It would be nice if Emacs had a way to automatically persist hashtables,
wouldn't it?  Maybe tying them to SQLite or something like that...  I've
proposed it on emacs-devel before but so far there's been little
interest; after Emacs 23 is out I'll probably push it again.

Ted

* Re: Quick folder/file access in Emacs
@ 2009-07-16 19:56       ` Thierry Volpiatto
From: Thierry Volpiatto @ 2009-07-16 19:56 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Ted Zlatanov <tzz@lifelogs.com> writes:

> On Thu, 16 Jul 2009 20:34:45 +0200 Thierry Volpiatto <thierry.volpiatto@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> TV> In addition to locate, if you use anything-traverse.el, you will be able
> TV> to search files recursively in a directory tree.You can have these datas
> TV> persistent between emacs sessions if you want.
> TV> I can index the 35000 files of my home directory with that.
> TV> You can have an index in any directory.
>
> That is nice for specific subsets.  I use locate to search across
> millions of files (SVN repository with many checked-out branches); it's
> slower but since it's asynchronous I don't mind.

It is for specific subsets, it is complementary to locate when you want
to search only in this directory and not in the whole system.
You can also set it to use only these dirs or these files.

> It would be nice if Emacs had a way to automatically persist hashtables,
> wouldn't it?  Maybe tying them to SQLite or something like that...  I've
> proposed it on emacs-devel before but so far there's been little
> interest; after Emacs 23 is out I'll probably push it again.

Yes would be nice among other things.