all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* bad interaction: beamer, amsmath, preview-latex
@ 2010-05-12  9:45 Giacomo Boffi
From: Giacomo Boffi @ 2010-05-12  9:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

_[xposted, followup set to gnu.emacs.help]_

i have two files, one (yb.tex) that uses the beamer class and another
(nb.tex)  that uses the article class

when i use preview-latex to generate inline pictures of my equation,
in the first case it does not work, while in the second case it works
as usual

environment: auctex and preview versions are "11.86", XEmacs 21.5
(beta29) "garbanzo" 39d74978fd32 [Lucid] (i686-pc-linux, Mule)

thank you in advance for your help,
                                                                gb
,----[ yb.tex ]
`----

,----[ nb.tex ]
`----
--
"It will be rain tonight."
            "Let it come down."

* Re: bad interaction: beamer, amsmath, preview-latex
@ 2010-05-12 10:19 ` David Kastrup
From: David Kastrup @ 2010-05-12 10:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Giacomo Boffi <giacomo.boffi@polimi.it> writes:

> _[xposted, followup set to gnu.emacs.help]_
>
> i have two files, one (yb.tex) that uses the beamer class and another
> (nb.tex)  that uses the article class
>
> when i use preview-latex to generate inline pictures of my equation,
> in the first case it does not work, while in the second case it works
> as usual

You'll need some decisions about what kind of previews you want -- whole
slides, just equations or something.  And then you need to configure
preview.sty to deal with what you want.  Should be described in the
manual.

--
David Kastrup
UKTUG FAQ: <URL:http://www.tex.ac.uk/cgi-bin/texfaq2html>

* Re: bad interaction: beamer, amsmath, preview-latex
@ 2010-05-12 12:57   ` Giacomo Boffi
From: Giacomo Boffi @ 2010-05-12 12:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

David Kastrup <dak@gnu.org> writes:

> Giacomo Boffi <giacomo.boffi@polimi.it> writes:
>
>> _[xposted, followup set to gnu.emacs.help]_
>>
>> i have two files, one (yb.tex) that uses the beamer class and another
>> (nb.tex)  that uses the article class
>>
>> when i use preview-latex to generate inline pictures of my equation,
>> in the first case it does not work, while in the second case it works
>> as usual
>
> You'll need some decisions about what kind of previews you want --
> whole slides, just equations or something.  And then you need to
> configure preview.sty to deal with what you want.  Should be
> described in the manual.

but it's not easy to be spotted...

i used
\usepackage[displaymath,textmath,sections]{preview}
\begin{document}

but math in ams environments was not rendered in emacs

then i added a preview environment to an AMS display

\begin{preview}
  \begin{align*}
    \mat{U}\,\vet{x}_{n+1}&=\vet{z}_{n+1}\\
    \mat{L}\,\vet{z}_{n+1}&=\vet{w}_{n}
  \end{align*}
\end{preview}

i got what i wanted, yes, but i felt that going back to every AMS
environment i used was a little too much, but finally i used

\usepackage[displaymath,textmath,sections]{preview}
\PreviewEnvironment{align*} % etc
\begin{document}
and now i'm happy

now, if someone (David?) could explain a better solution or, maybe,
give the "preview whole slides" howto...

thank you,
per crimini come l'umanita'.                     MMAX, in IPI+IHC