all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* bug#6851: Documentation: `make-hash-table' "add that many space"
@ 2010-08-13 18:19 MON KEY
From: MON KEY @ 2010-08-13 18:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 6851

Documentation: `make-hash-table' "add that many space"

,---- (documentation 'make-hash-table)

|  { ... }
|
| :rehash-size REHASH-SIZE - Indicates how to expand the table when it
| fills up.  If REHASH-SIZE is an integer, add that many space.  If it
| is a float, it must be > 1.0, and the new size is computed by
| multiplying the old size with that factor.  Default is 1.5.
|
|  { ... }

`----

Following sentence doesn't parse:

 "If REHASH-SIZE is an integer, add that many space."
                                         ^^^^ ^^^^^
Even if what the author meant was:

 "If REHASH-SIZE is an integer, add that much space."

it still won't yield a satisfactory parse b/c space isn't a term
specified elsewhere in the doc so it isn't clear which space is being
added to.

Problem current through Bzr-101071

--
/s_P\

* bug#6851: Documentation: `make-hash-table' "add that many space"
@ 2010-08-14  0:39 ` Chong Yidong
From: Chong Yidong @ 2010-08-14  0:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: MON KEY; +Cc: 6851

MON KEY <monkey@sandpframing.com> writes:

> | :rehash-size REHASH-SIZE - Indicates how to expand the table when it
> | fills up.  If REHASH-SIZE is an integer, add that many space.  If it
> | is a float, it must be > 1.0, and the new size is computed by
> | multiplying the old size with that factor.  Default is 1.5.

> Following sentence doesn't parse:
>
>  "If REHASH-SIZE is an integer, add that many space."
>                                          ^^^^ ^^^^^
> Even if what the author meant was:
>
>  "If REHASH-SIZE is an integer, add that much space."
>
> it still won't yield a satisfactory parse b/c space isn't a term
> specified elsewhere in the doc so it isn't clear which space is being
> added to.

Thanks.  I checked in a fix.  The "number of spaces" is the nominal size
of the hash table, defined in the preceding part of the docstring.

* bug#6851: Documentation: `make-hash-table' "add that many space"
@ 2010-08-14  4:52   ` MON KEY
From: MON KEY @ 2010-08-14  4:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chong Yidong; +Cc: 6851

On Fri, Aug 13, 2010 at 8:39 PM, Chong Yidong <cyd@stupidchicken.com> wrote:
> Thanks.  I checked in a fix.  The "number of spaces" is the nominal size
> of the hash table, defined in the preceding part of the docstring.

Yes. My point is was that "space" is a loaded term, esp. w/re hashes.

Also, I noticed this:

,----

| {...}
|
| :rehash-threshold THRESHOLD -- THRESHOLD must a float > 0, and <= 1.0.
| Resize the hash table when the ratio (number of entries / table size)
| is greater or equal than THRESHOLD.  Default is 0.8.
|
| {...}

`----

"is greater or equal than THRESHOLD.  Default is 0.8."
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Maybe better as:

"is greater than or equal to THRESHOLD. Default is 0.8."

Appears through Bzr-101073

--
/s_P\

* bug#6851: Documentation: `make-hash-table' "add that many space"
@ 2010-08-14 21:14     ` Chong Yidong
From: Chong Yidong @ 2010-08-14 21:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: MON KEY; +Cc: 6851

MON KEY <monkey@sandpframing.com> writes:

> | :rehash-threshold THRESHOLD -- THRESHOLD must a float > 0, and <= 1.0.
> | Resize the hash table when the ratio (number of entries / table size)
> | is greater or equal than THRESHOLD.  Default is 0.8.

> Maybe better as:
>
> "is greater than or equal to THRESHOLD. Default is 0.8."

Thanks, fixed.