all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* help with exec-path
@ 2011-11-11  6:18 Eric Abrahamsen
From: Eric Abrahamsen @ 2011-11-11  6:18 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

I'm trying to get auctex to use the executables in my self-compiled
texlive installation. I set the proper paths in my .bashrc file, and
again (just for good measure) with (setenv "PATH") in my .emacs. That
doesn't get the proper paths into `exec-path', though.

I would just use `add-to-list' on `exec-path' directly, but looking at
the help buffer for `exec-path' it shows me the current value for the
variable (without my desired paths in it), and then the "original
value", which *does* have the desired paths in it.

That makes me think that the variable is getting reset somewhere. I
shouldn't have to manipulate exec-path directly, should I?

Thanks,
Eric

--
GNU Emacs 24.0.91.1 (i686-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.24.6)
 of 2011-11-07 on pellet

* Re: help with exec-path
@ 2011-11-14 13:26 ` Chris Poole
From: Chris Poole @ 2011-11-14 13:26 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Eric Abrahamsen; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

On Fri, Nov 11, 2011 at 6:18 AM, Eric Abrahamsen
<eric@ericabrahamsen.net> wrote:
> I'm trying to get auctex to use the executables in my self-compiled
> texlive installation. I set the proper paths in my .bashrc file, and
> again (just for good measure) with (setenv "PATH") in my .emacs. That
> doesn't get the proper paths into `exec-path', though.

> That makes me think that the variable is getting reset somewhere. I
> shouldn't have to manipulate exec-path directly, should I?

I'm using Mac OS X, and I have to (or at least, do for good measure; I don't
remember).

I wrote a simple function to grab the $PATH variable from the .zshrc file, and
then put this in the "PATH" environment variable using setenv in Emacs.

To put this information in exec-path, I use the following:

    (setq exec-path (split-string (getenv "PATH") ":"))

It works pretty well for me.

Cheers

Chris Poole
[PGP BAD246F9]

* Re: help with exec-path
@ 2011-11-16 19:53 ` S Boucher
From: S Boucher @ 2011-11-16 19:53 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Eric Abrahamsen, help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org

>I'm trying to get auctex to use the executables in my self-compiled
>texlive installation. I set the proper paths in my .bashrc file, and
>again (just for good measure) with (setenv "PATH") in my .emacs. That
>doesn't get the proper paths into `exec-path', though.

If you start emacs from your desktop menu, PATH will likely NOT have what is specified in your .bashrc.

First,
 try starting emacs from a shell.  If your exec-path is ok, then you'll
have to figure out how to add configs for your particular desktop
manager.

* Re: help with exec-path
@ 2011-11-17  4:26   ` Eric Abrahamsen
From: Eric Abrahamsen @ 2011-11-17  4:26 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Wed, Nov 16 2011, S Boucher wrote:

>>I'm trying to get auctex to use the executables in my self-compiled
>>texlive installation. I set the proper paths in my .bashrc file, and
>>again (just for good measure) with (setenv "PATH") in my .emacs. That
>>doesn't get the proper paths into `exec-path', though.
>
> If you start emacs from your desktop menu, PATH will likely NOT have what is specified in your .bashrc.

Grr, that was exactly it. I was starting from a desktop shortcut --
should have thought of that. Thanks for the help!

Eric