() Barry Margolin () Wed, 10 Apr 2013 11:37:19 -0400 phrases as computer or Emacs jargon, when they just have the meaning the words imply. Assuming that one can parse "set bit" as ADJ N, there is still room for confusion. Being around computers for a long time, i interpret "set" as "having value 1", but recognize anyway that such is not universal. For example, in the phrase "ready, set, go", the state "set" gives the impression of suspense, promise, potential. The poet in me imagines how zero embodies that, mapping these states to -1, 0, and 1, respectively. "But ttn, we're talking about Emacs Lisp and specifically binary data!" Yes. No one is born programmer or poet, yet both can hack (in) Emacs. What is confusion but a stretching of the mind? What is Emacs but confusion, parenthesized and shared? -- Thien-Thi Nguyen GPG key: 4C807502