all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Any way to use newer Emacs on a Linux where I don't have root permission?
@ 2013-04-15  6:18 Glen
From: Glen @ 2013-04-15  6:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi.

I have to work in a Linux server without root permission. In this server,
the emacs's version is 21.4.1(too old for me).  I want to use a newer
version in the server.

Two methods tried:
1. Compile emacs-24.3 in the old linux server, I tried to install lots of
libraries manually.  At last, I can't build emacs successfully. I give up.
2. Try to compile emacs-24.3 in my local linux where I have root
permission. Then, copy it to the server linux.

On local linux:
# cd /opt/local_build/emacs-24.3/build
# ../configure --prefix=/home/cnglen/opt   --without-all --without-x
# make
# make install

On server linux after copying /home/cnglen/opt from local linux:
Running emacs-24.3:
a) It shows: libtinfo.so.5 not found.  After I copying libtinfo.so.5 from
local linux, It's OK.
b) /lib64/libc.so.6: version "GLIBC_2.6" not found. version "GLIBC_2.11"
not found.  In the server "GLIBC's versio is 2.5".

I just want to use a newer emacs on the local server where I don't have
root permission. Any suggestions?
Is there someway  to compile emacs with static library (NOT shared
library)?

Thanks.

--
Best Regards,
Glen

* Re: Any way to use newer Emacs on a Linux where I don't have root permission?
@ 2013-04-15 16:05 ` Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2013-04-15 16:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Glen; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 15.04.2013 um 08:18 schrieb Glen:

> Is there someway  to compile emacs with static library (NOT shared
> library)?

You could try to configure with  --enable-static  and also give CFLAGS and LDFLAGS to compile for a static target.

Are there no static GNU Emacs packages available?

--
Greetings

  Pete

Real Time, adj.:
	Here and now, as opposed to fake time, which only occurs there and then.

* RE: Any way to use newer Emacs on a Linux where I don't have root permission?
@ 2013-04-15 16:26 ` Ludwig, Mark
From: Ludwig, Mark @ 2013-04-15 16:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Glen, help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org

> From: Glen
> Subject: Any way to use newer Emacs on a Linux where I don't have root permission?

> I just want to use a newer emacs on the local server where I don't have root permission. Any suggestions?

Sure, using configure, specify a directory over which you have complete control instead of the default /usr/local.  Someone else may chime in with the detailed option name (I don't have the source in front of me).

I've done this (... uhh, a coupl'a decades ago...) specifying my home directory.  Then "make install" drops everything into subdirectories (of the specified directory) named bin, lib, etc.

> Is there someway  to compile emacs with static library (NOT shared library)?

With respect, I think this is the wrong question to ask.  If you have configured as I suggest above, you then only need to set LD_LIBRARY_PATH to include the <dir>/lib directory in order for the shared library to be found.

Hope this makes sense,
Mark

* Re: Any way to use newer Emacs on a Linux where I don't have root permission?
@ 2013-04-15 17:10   ` Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2013-04-15 17:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ludwig, Mark; +Cc: Glen, help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org

Am 15.04.2013 um 18:26 schrieb Ludwig, Mark:

>> Is there someway  to compile emacs with static library (NOT shared library)?
>
> With respect, I think this is the wrong question to ask.  If you have configured as I suggest above, you then only need to set LD_LIBRARY_PATH to include the <dir>/lib directory in order for the shared library to be found.

A server not necessarily has fancy graphics libraries or ImageMagick…

--
Mit friedvollen Grüßen

  Pete

Kommt eine Termite in die Bar und fragt: „Ist der Bartender da?“

* Re: Any way to use newer Emacs on a Linux where I don't have root permission?
@ 2013-04-17 14:56 ` XeCycle
From: XeCycle @ 2013-04-17 14:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Glen <cnglen@gmail.com> writes:

> Hi.
>
> I have to work in a Linux server without root permission. In this server, the
> emacs's version is 21.4.1(too old for me).  I want to use a newer version in
> the server.
>
> Two methods tried:
> 1. Compile emacs-24.3 in the old linux server, I tried to install lots of
> libraries manually.  At last, I can't build emacs successfully. I give up.
> 2. Try to compile emacs-24.3 in my local linux where I have root permission.
> Then, copy it to the server linux.
>
> On local linux:
> # cd /opt/local_build/emacs-24.3/build
> # ../configure --prefix=/home/cnglen/opt   --without-all --without-x
> # make
> # make install
>
> On server linux after copying /home/cnglen/opt from local linux:
> Running emacs-24.3:
> a) It shows: libtinfo.so.5 not found.  After I copying libtinfo.so.5 from
> local linux, It's OK.
> b) /lib64/libc.so.6: version "GLIBC_2.6" not found. version "GLIBC_2.11" not
> found.  In the server "GLIBC's versio is 2.5".
>
> I just want to use a newer emacs on the local server where I don't have root
> permission. Any suggestions?
> Is there someway  to compile emacs with static library (NOT shared library)?
>
> Thanks.

I would rather recommend using remote file editing facilities
while running a local Emacs, than running a remote Emacs.

If your TRAMP happens to be buggy, you can use external utilities
like sshfs.

--
Carl Lei (XeCycle)
Department of Physics, Shanghai Jiao Tong University