all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* About `setf' with macro call
@ 2013-04-17 13:21 xfq
From: xfq @ 2013-04-17 13:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

In (info "(cl) Setf Extensions"), there is a example about using `setf'
on a macro call:

  (defmacro wrong-order (x y) (list 'aref y x))
  (setf (wrong-order A B) 17)

I evaluated these two expressions, and debugger entered:

  Debugger entered--Lisp error: (void-variable B)
    (let* ((v B) (v A)) (aset v v 17))
    (setf (wrong-order A B) 17)
    eval((setf (wrong-order A B) 17) nil)
    eval-last-sexp-1(nil)
    eval-last-sexp(nil)
    call-interactively(eval-last-sexp nil nil)
    command-execute(eval-last-sexp)

I understand that `A' and `B' are two invalid S-expressions here.  But I
don't understand the `let*' expression in the backtrace.  Does it store
into the element of `B' or `A' at index `A' the value 17?

I'd like to search the web, but I don't know how.  Any ideas?

--
Best regards, Xue Fuqiao.
http://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/

* Re: About `setf' with macro call
@ 2013-04-17 14:06 ` Tassilo Horn
From: Tassilo Horn @ 2013-04-17 14:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

xfq <xfq.free@gmail.com> writes:

> In (info "(cl) Setf Extensions"), there is a example about using `setf'
> on a macro call:
>
>   (defmacro wrong-order (x y) (list 'aref y x))
>   (setf (wrong-order A B) 17)
>
> I evaluated these two expressions, and debugger entered:
>
>   Debugger entered--Lisp error: (void-variable B)
>     (let* ((v B) (v A)) (aset v v 17))
>     (setf (wrong-order A B) 17)
>     eval((setf (wrong-order A B) 17) nil)
>     eval-last-sexp-1(nil)
>     eval-last-sexp(nil)
>     call-interactively(eval-last-sexp nil nil)
>     command-execute(eval-last-sexp)
>
> I understand that `A' and `B' are two invalid S-expressions here.  But
> I don't understand the `let*' expression in the backtrace.

You need to have a look at the macro expansions to understand the
problem.

ELISP> (macroexpand '(wrong-order A B))
(aref B A)
ELISP> (macroexpand '(setf (wrong-order A B) 17))
(let*
    ((v B)
     (v A))
  (aset v v 17))

Now that explains the let* in the backtrace, but the setf-expansion
looks totally wrong!  v is set to B (the index) and then overridden by A
(the array).  So aset becomes called with the array, the array again in
place where the index should be, and then the value to be set...

Let's try it with an example:

ELISP> (defvar my-array (make-vector 10 1))
my-array
ELISP> my-array
[1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1]
ELISP> (setf (aref my-array 4) 3)
3
ELISP> my-array
[1 1 1 1 3 1 1 1 1 1]
ELISP> (setf (wrong-order 4 my-array) 17)
17
ELISP> my-array
[1 1 1 1 17 1 1 1 1 1]

Strange.  Although the macro expansion looks broken, it works anyhow?!
Now let's test the macro expansion manually.

ELISP> (let* ((v 4) (v my-array)) (aset v v 19))
*** Eval error ***  Wrong type argument: integerp, [1 1 1 1 17 1 1 1 1 1]

Yes, that's what I expected also from the macro version...

Can anyone explain what's going on here?

Bye,
Tassilo

* Re: About `setf' with macro call
@ 2013-04-17 15:03   ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2013-04-17 15:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

ELISP> (macroexpand '(setf (wrong-order A B) 17))
> (let*
>     ((v B)
>      (v A))
>   (aset v v 17))

> Now that explains the let* in the backtrace, but the setf-expansion
> looks totally wrong!  v is set to B (the index) and then overridden by A
> (the array).

Actually, no: try (setq print-gensym t) to see the full story.

* Re: About `setf' with macro call
@ 2013-04-17 15:14     ` Tassilo Horn
From: Tassilo Horn @ 2013-04-17 15:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> ELISP> (macroexpand '(setf (wrong-order A B) 17))
>> (let*
>>     ((v B)
>>      (v A))
>>   (aset v v 17))
>
>> Now that explains the let* in the backtrace, but the setf-expansion
>> looks totally wrong!  v is set to B (the index) and then overridden by A
>> (the array).
>
> Actually, no: try (setq print-gensym t) to see the full story.

Argh, it's not the first time I've fallen into that trap.  It happens so
rarely that at the Nth time I've usually forgotten about the N-1th time
and its explanation. ;-)

So now I've eventually put

  (setq print-gensym t
        print-circle t)

in my ~/.emacs, so hopefully I won't be caught another time.

Thanks,
Tassilo

* Re: About `setf' with macro call
@ 2013-04-20  0:46       ` xfq
From: xfq @ 2013-04-20  0:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Ah, I see.  Thanks you, Stefan and Tassilo.