all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* A question about Dissociated Press
@ 2013-06-26 13:05 Xue Fuqiao
From: Xue Fuqiao @ 2013-06-26 13:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

In (info "(emacs) Amusements"):

  Dissociated Press produces results fairly like those of a Markov
  chain, but is however, an independent, ignoriginal invention; it
  techniquitously copies several consecutive characters from the sample
  text between random jumps, unlike a Markov chain which would jump
  randomly after each word or character.

I understand that "ignoriginal" in this sentence means "perceived to be
original by its creator, but actually lacking in originality".  But what
does "techniquitously" mean?  After a web search, it seems to me that
this word only appears in the Emacs manual.  Any ideas?  (Sorry for my
English.)

--
Best regards, Xue Fuqiao.

* Re: A question about Dissociated Press
@ 2013-06-26 13:34 ` Stephen Berman
From: Stephen Berman @ 2013-06-26 13:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Xue Fuqiao; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

On Wed, 26 Jun 2013 21:05:01 +0800 Xue Fuqiao <xfq.free@gmail.com> wrote:

> In (info "(emacs) Amusements"):
>
>   Dissociated Press produces results fairly like those of a Markov
>   chain, but is however, an independent, ignoriginal invention; it
>   techniquitously copies several consecutive characters from the sample
>   text between random jumps, unlike a Markov chain which would jump
>   randomly after each word or character.
>
> I understand that "ignoriginal" in this sentence means "perceived to be
> original by its creator, but actually lacking in originality".  But what
> does "techniquitously" mean?  After a web search, it seems to me that
> this word only appears in the Emacs manual.  Any ideas?  (Sorry for my
> English.)

Those are both made up words (as are "userenced" and "properbose" at the
end of that paragraph), jokingly used to indicate what could happen
when you run the program.

Steve Berman

* Re: A question about Dissociated Press
       [not found] <mailman.2464.1372251912.22516.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2013-06-26 13:37 ` Rustom Mody
From: Rustom Mody @ 2013-06-26 13:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Wednesday, June 26, 2013 6:35:01 PM UTC+5:30, Xue Fuqiao wrote:
> I understand that "ignoriginal" in this sentence means "perceived to be
> original by its creator, but actually lacking in originality".  But what
> does "techniquitously" mean?  After a web search, it seems to me that

Probably associated with 'ubiquitous'

* Re: A question about Dissociated Press
@ 2013-06-26 14:52 ` Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2013-06-26 14:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Xue Fuqiao; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 26.06.2013 um 15:05 schrieb Xue Fuqiao:

> But what does "techniquitously" mean?

The application of a technique of ubiquitous copybility?

--
Greetings

  Pete

Behold the warranty … the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

* Re: A question about Dissociated Press
@ 2013-06-26 19:09   ` Richard Copley
From: Richard Copley @ 2013-06-26 19:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rustom Mody; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org

On 26 June 2013 14:37, Rustom Mody <rustompmody@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wednesday, June 26, 2013 6:35:01 PM UTC+5:30, Xue Fuqiao wrote:
>> I understand that "ignoriginal" in this sentence means "perceived to be
>> original by its creator, but actually lacking in originality".  But what
>> does "techniquitously" mean?  After a web search, it seems to me that
>
> Probably associated with 'ubiquitous'

Could be, though my first thought was 'iniquitous'.

* Re: A question about Dissociated Press
@ 2013-06-26 23:04   ` Xue Fuqiao
From: Xue Fuqiao @ 2013-06-26 23:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Peter Dyballa; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

On Wed, Jun 26, 2013 at 10:52 PM, Peter Dyballa <Peter_Dyballa@web.de> wrote:

> Am 26.06.2013 um 15:05 schrieb Xue Fuqiao:
>
>> But what does "techniquitously" mean?
>
> The application of a technique of ubiquitous copybility?

I think so.  ;-)

--
Best regards, Xue Fuqiao.
http://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/