all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* always white background in compiled emacs24
@ 2014-01-06 11:26 David Belohrad
From: David Belohrad @ 2014-01-06 11:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Dear All,

I have git version of emacs compiled, using GTK3 (but tested with others
as well). When I try to load _any_ color theme using

(load-theme '<theme> t)

it applies all the colors except 'default-face' background and
foreground colors, which are always white (background) and black
(foreground).

My init file does not contain anything else than

#+BEGIN_SRC emacs-lisp
(load-theme 'leuven t)
#+END_SRC

And this happens as well when no custom init file is loaded. Result is
always white background. *ONLY* exception is, when I run emacs with -Q
parameter. Then load-theme works correctly.

Could someone point me to what I do wrong? I'm particularly puzzled with
fact, that even untweaked emacs ran without -Q parameter cannot load
themes correctly.

Many thanks

david

* Re: always white background in compiled emacs24
@ 2014-01-06 11:59 ` Joseph Vidal-Rosset
       [not found]   ` <mailman.11201.1389013894.10748.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
       [not found] ` <mailman.11804.1389632043.10748.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Joseph Vidal-Rosset @ 2014-01-06 11:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Belohrad; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Hi David,

2014/1/6 David Belohrad <david@belohrad.ch>

> Result is
> always white background.

I'm using leuven theme also, which is a great theme for org-mode.

I have downloaded this theme via elpa and loaded via M-x customize-themes .
At this step you can read:

leuven -- Face colors with a light background.

So, are you sure that you white backgound is not the expected result with
leuven theme? Have you tried to load tango or tango-dark for example ?

Best wishes,

Jo.

* Re: always white background in compiled emacs24
@ 2014-01-06 13:11   ` David Belohrad
       [not found]   ` <mailman.11201.1389013894.10748.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: David Belohrad @ 2014-01-06 13:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Joseph Vidal-Rosset; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

sorry for mistake. leuven i put into my init file just because the
others (dark ones like tango-dark) do not work.

otherwise it seems like leuven is great combination of fonts and
colors. i wish to have it in dark background :)

.d.

@ 2014-01-13 10:16     ` Fabrice Niessen
From: Fabrice Niessen @ 2014-01-13 10:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs-mXXj517/zsQ

Hello David,

David Belohrad wrote:
> Joseph Vidal-Rosset <joseph.vidal.rosset-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org> writes:
>> 2014/1/6 David Belohrad <david-rZamiVn3bvgfv37vnLkPlQ@public.gmane.org>
>>
>>> Result is always white background.
>>
>> I'm using leuven theme also, which is a great theme for org-mode.
>>
>> I have downloaded this theme via elpa and loaded via M-x customize-themes .
>> At this step you can read:
>>
>> leuven -- Face colors with a light background.
>>
>> So, are you sure that you white backgound is not the expected result with
>> leuven theme? Have you tried to load tango or tango-dark for example ?
>
> sorry for mistake. leuven i put into my init file just because the
> others (dark ones like tango-dark) do not work.

As the author of Leuven-theme, I confirm I do have the following line in
it:

   `(default ((,class (:foreground "#333333" :background "#FFFFFF"))))

IOW, I put the default face in gray20, and reserve full black for bold:

   `(bold ((,class (:weight bold :foreground "black"))))

I could remove the "white" background, but the colors are really
customized for a light background.

> otherwise it seems like leuven is great combination of fonts and
> colors. i wish to have it in dark background :)

As I don't use myself anything other than white background, I won't be
of any help here.

But you could always fork my project at
https://github.com/fniessen/emacs-leuven-theme, and try to fix the
colors which aren't compatible with a dark background.

Best regards,
Fabrice

--
Fabrice Niessen
Leuven, Belgium

* Re: always white background in compiled emacs24
@ 2014-01-13 11:28       ` David Belohrad
From: David Belohrad @ 2014-01-13 11:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fabrice Niessen, help-gnu-emacs

Hi Fabrice,

IMHO this is not an issue of leuven theme. At the end I stay with leuven
even if I wanted to have something dark (btw: the theme is very
nice). The problem is, that all dark themes I have tried always result
in white background no matter what I do.

.d.

@ 2014-01-13 11:49 ` Mattia Ziulu
       [not found] ` <mailman.11804.1389632043.10748.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Mattia Ziulu @ 2014-01-13 11:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Belohrad; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

David Belohrad writes:

> Dear All,
>
> I have git version of emacs compiled, using GTK3 (but tested with others
> as well). When I try to load _any_ color theme using
>
> (load-theme '<theme> t)
>
> it applies all the colors except 'default-face' background and
> foreground colors, which are always white (background) and black
> (foreground).
>
> My init file does not contain anything else than
>
> #+BEGIN_SRC emacs-lisp
> (load-theme 'leuven t)
> #+END_SRC
>
> And this happens as well when no custom init file is loaded. Result is
> always white background. *ONLY* exception is, when I run emacs with -Q
> parameter. Then load-theme works correctly.
>
> Could someone point me to what I do wrong? I'm particularly puzzled with
> fact, that even untweaked emacs ran without -Q parameter cannot load
> themes correctly.
>
> Many thanks
>

> david

I can confirm this, and I use themes with dark backgrounds. I do think
that the commit that "breaks" this is [0], as reverting to the one
before that one lets me use whatever custom theme I want. Perhaps themes
need to be updated to conform to the changes introduced in by this
commit?

[0]: http://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/emacs.git/commit/?id=15e14b165dcbc6566a0459b0d5e66f89080f569e

@ 2014-01-31 12:41   ` kolya.ay
From: kolya.ay @ 2014-01-31 12:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

I had the same problem on Debian sid. It was because Emacs tried to setup background/foreground colors according X resources (see `xrdb -query | grep Emacs`). Untill this is fixed there is a workaround: `(setq inhibit-x-resources t)` before any `load-theme`.

@ 2014-01-31 17:35     ` David Belohrad
From: David Belohrad @ 2014-01-31 17:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kolya.ay, help-gnu-emacs

----------right! that's it. I had it setup as well and apparently for
background it takes preceedence over what is written in .emacs.

many thanks!
.d.

@ 2014-02-05 12:01     ` Mattia Ziulu
From: Mattia Ziulu @ 2014-02-05 12:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kolya.ay; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

kolya.ay@gmail.com writes:

> I had the same problem on Debian sid. It was because Emacs tried to setup background/foreground colors according X resources (see `xrdb -query | grep Emacs`). Untill this is fixed there is a workaround: `(setq inhibit-x-resources t)` before any `load-theme`.

Thanks for the input, and sorry about the delay in the response, I just
noticed your email. I can confirm that that setq fixes the problem in my
setup.