all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Build emacs on debian
@ 2014-04-06 20:38 Harry Putnam
From: Harry Putnam @ 2014-04-06 20:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Running debian (jesse/testing)

I've built emacs for yrs but have not done so for a good while now.

I'm running into errors I've hit before and recognize but do not
recall which pkgs were necessary to make configure work.

There must have been some devel pkgs removed in the interm.

My ./configure cmd

  ./configure --with-xft --with-x-toolkit=lucid
                --prefix=/usr/local/src/vcs/bzr/test

A few lines of output containing the error below:

  [...]
  checking for long file names... yes
  checking for X... no
  checking for X... true
  configure: error: You seem to be running X, but no X development libraries
  were found.  You should install the relevant development files for X
  and for the toolkit you want, such as Gtk+ or Motif.  Also make
  sure you have development files for image handling, i.e.
  tiff, gif, jpeg, png and xpm.

[...]

Any debian people here who know what I'm missing?

* Re: Build emacs on debian
@ 2014-04-06 21:04 ` Sharon Kimble
From: Sharon Kimble @ 2014-04-06 21:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Harry Putnam; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

> Running debian (jesse/testing)
>
> I've built emacs for yrs but have not done so for a good while now.
>
> I'm running into errors I've hit before and recognize but do not
> recall which pkgs were necessary to make configure work.
>
> There must have been some devel pkgs removed in the interm.
>
> My ./configure cmd
>
>   ./configure --with-xft --with-x-toolkit=lucid
>                 --prefix=/usr/local/src/vcs/bzr/test
>
> A few lines of output containing the error below:
>
>   [...]
>   checking for long file names... yes
>   checking for X... no
>   checking for X... true
>   configure: error: You seem to be running X, but no X development libraries
>   were found.  You should install the relevant development files for X
>   and for the toolkit you want, such as Gtk+ or Motif.  Also make
>   sure you have development files for image handling, i.e.
>   tiff, gif, jpeg, png and xpm.
>
> [...]
>
> Any debian people here who know what I'm missing?

Like you I'm running 'jessie' and have today built the latest available emacs
From savannah. This is my script for it -
,----
| #!/bin/bash
| set -e
| #set -x
| #: Title		    	: ebuild
| #: Date		    	: 1 April 2014
| #: Version			: 1.0
| #: Description		: To download and build the development build of emacs.
| #: Requirements		: none known
| # Copyright (C) 2014  Sharon Kimble
| #
| # This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify
| # it under the terms of the GNU General Public License as published by
| # the Free Software Foundation; either version 2 of the License, or
| # (at your option) any later version.
| #
| # This program is distributed in the hope that it will be useful,
| # but WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of
| # MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.  See the
| # GNU General Public License for more details.
| #
| # You should have received a copy of the GNU General Public License along
| # with this program; if not, write to the Free Software Foundation, Inc.,
| # 51 Franklin Street, Fifth Floor, Boston, MA 02110-1301 USA.
| ####################################################
| log=~/logs/emacsbuild.txt
| exec > >(tee -a $log) 2>&1
| echo "$(date +%Y-%m-%d\ %H:%M:%S)" >> $log
| trap "kill -- -$BASHPID" EXIT
|
| cd ~
| #cd ~/git
| cd ~/git/trunk
| #bzr pull http://bzr.savannah.gnu.org/r/emacs/trunk
| bzr pull
| ./autogen.sh
| ./configure
| export emacs_prefix="/usr/local"
| make
| sudo make install
| cd ~
`----

Obviously comment/uncomment lines as required, but that will build emacs
24.4.50.2, which is the most up-to-date available.

Hope it helps?
Sharon.
TGmeds = http://www.tgmeds.org.uk
Debian testing, Fluxbox 1.3.5, emacs 24.3.1

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: Build emacs on debian
@ 2014-04-06 21:11 ` Bob Proulx
From: Bob Proulx @ 2014-04-06 21:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Harry Putnam; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Harry Putnam wrote:
> I'm running into errors I've hit before and recognize but do not
> recall which pkgs were necessary to make configure work.

The easiest thing is to start with whatever the Debian packager
thought was needed for the Debian package.

  # apt-get build-dep emacs24

That will install the build dependencies as declared in the packaged
files.  You might want something more or less but that is a good start.

Bob

* Re: Build emacs on debian
@ 2014-04-06 21:17   ` Harry Putnam
From: Harry Putnam @ 2014-04-06 21:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Bob Proulx <bob@proulx.com> writes:

> Harry Putnam wrote:
>> I'm running into errors I've hit before and recognize but do not
>> recall which pkgs were necessary to make configure work.
>
> The easiest thing is to start with whatever the Debian packager
> thought was needed for the Debian package.
>
>   # apt-get build-dep emacs24
>
> That will install the build dependencies as declared in the packaged
> files.  You might want something more or less but that is a good start.

Thanks for the trusty good input sir.

I think you may have given that same answer some mnths ago.  Sorry to
be a pest. This one goes in the emacs notes db.

* Re: Build emacs on debian
@ 2014-04-06 21:24 ` Glyn Millington
From: Glyn Millington @ 2014-04-06 21:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> Running debian (jesse/testing)
>
> I've built emacs for yrs but have not done so for a good while now.
>
> I'm running into errors I've hit before and recognize but do not
> recall which pkgs were necessary to make configure work.
>
> There must have been some devel pkgs removed in the interm.
>
> My ./configure cmd
>
>   ./configure --with-xft --with-x-toolkit=lucid
>                 --prefix=/usr/local/src/vcs/bzr/test
>
> A few lines of output containing the error below:
>
>   [...]
>   checking for long file names... yes
>   checking for X... no
>   checking for X... true
>   configure: error: You seem to be running X, but no X development libraries
>   were found.  You should install the relevant development files for X
>   and for the toolkit you want, such as Gtk+ or Motif.  Also make
>   sure you have development files for image handling, i.e.
>   tiff, gif, jpeg, png and xpm.
>
> [...]
>
> Any debian people here who know what I'm missing?

Haven't been a debian person for years but I think what you want is

#apt-get build-dep emacs

That should pull down and build the dependencies for emacs.

atb

Glyn

* Re: Build emacs on debian
@ 2014-04-06 23:39   ` Harry Putnam
From: Harry Putnam @ 2014-04-06 23:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Sharon Kimble <boudiccas@talktalk.net> writes:

>> Any debian people here who know what I'm missing?
>>
> Like you I'm running 'jessie' and have today built the latest available emacs
> From savannah. This is my script for it -

[...]

Thank you ma'am, and a nice script it is too.

The trouble is, I'm missing pkgs so until I get the ones emacs needs
I'll need to work on that.

* Re: Build emacs on debian
@ 2014-04-06 23:49     ` Harry Putnam
From: Harry Putnam @ 2014-04-06 23:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> Bob Proulx <bob@proulx.com> writes:
>
>> Harry Putnam wrote:
>>> I'm running into errors I've hit before and recognize but do not
>>> recall which pkgs were necessary to make configure work.
>>
>> The easiest thing is to start with whatever the Debian packager
>> thought was needed for the Debian package.
>>
>>   # apt-get build-dep emacs24
>>
>> That will install the build dependencies as declared in the packaged
>> files.  You might want something more or less but that is a good start.
>
> Thanks for the trusty good input sir.
>
> I think you may have given that same answer some mnths ago.  Sorry to
> be a pest. This one goes in the emacs notes db.

Oddly that ended poorly.... not sure why:
 sudo apt-get build-dep emacs24

  Reading package lists... Done
  Building dependency tree
  Reading state information... Done
  E: You must put some 'source' URIs in your sources.list

I'm pretty sure I don't need source pkgs to build emacs so must be
something else going on.

cat source.list:
  deb http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/ jessie main contrib non-free
  deb http://security.debian.org/ jessie/updates main contrib non-free

* Re: Build emacs on debian
@ 2014-04-07  0:22       ` Bob Proulx
From: Bob Proulx @ 2014-04-07  0:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Harry Putnam; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Harry Putnam wrote:
> Oddly that ended poorly.... not sure why:
>  sudo apt-get build-dep emacs24
>
>   Reading package lists... Done
>   Building dependency tree
>   Reading state information... Done
>   E: You must put some 'source' URIs in your sources.list

You don't have any source URLs in your sources.list file?  How can you
live that way?  :-)

> I'm pretty sure I don't need source pkgs to build emacs so must be
> something else going on.
>
> cat source.list:
>   deb http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/ jessie main contrib non-free
>   deb http://security.debian.org/ jessie/updates main contrib non-free

Duplicate those and convert the deb to deb-src.

 deb http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/ jessie main contrib non-free
 deb-src http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/ jessie main contrib non-free
 deb http://security.debian.org/ jessie/updates main contrib non-free
 deb-src http://security.debian.org/ jessie/updates main contrib non-free

Then run apt-get update.  And then build-dep again.

Bob

* Re: Build emacs on debian
@ 2014-04-07  0:37       ` hubert
From: hubert @ 2014-04-07  0:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Sun, 06 Apr 2014 19:49:51 -0400, Harry Putnam <reader@newsguy.com> said:

> Oddly that ended poorly.... not sure why: sudo apt-get build-dep
> emacs24

>   Reading package lists... Done Building dependency tree Reading state
> information... Done E: You must put some 'source' URIs in your
> sources.list

> I'm pretty sure I don't need source pkgs to build emacs so must be
> something else going on.

It needs the deb-src urls so that it can fetch the source package
description to install the build dependencies.  If you don't want to add
the deb-src urls, then you can download the dsc file manually.  Just go
to https://packages.debian.org/sid/emacs24, and click on the .dsc file
listed on the right-hand side.  Then look at the Build-Depends line.
That's a list of all the packages that are needed to build.

--
Hubert Chathi - Email/Jabber: hubert@uhoreg.ca - http://www.uhoreg.ca/
PGP/GnuPG key: 4096R/113A1368 (Key available at pool.sks-keyservers.net)

* Re: Build emacs on debian
@ 2014-04-07  1:14         ` Harry Putnam
From: Harry Putnam @ 2014-04-07  1:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

hubert <hubert@uhoreg.ca> writes:

> On Sun, 06 Apr 2014 19:49:51 -0400, Harry Putnam <reader@newsguy.com> said:
>
>> Oddly that ended poorly.... not sure why: sudo apt-get build-dep
>> emacs24
>
>>   Reading package lists... Done Building dependency tree Reading state
>> information... Done E: You must put some 'source' URIs in your
>> sources.list
>
>> I'm pretty sure I don't need source pkgs to build emacs so must be
>> something else going on.
>
> It needs the deb-src urls so that it can fetch the source package
> description to install the build dependencies.  If you don't want to add
> the deb-src urls, then you can download the dsc file manually.  Just go
> to https://packages.debian.org/sid/emacs24, and click on the .dsc file
> listed on the right-hand side.  Then look at the Build-Depends line.
> That's a list of all the packages that are needed to build.

Ahh yes, nice.  Thanks for the great input.

* Re: Build emacs on debian
@ 2014-04-07  1:28         ` Harry Putnam
From: Harry Putnam @ 2014-04-07  1:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

hubert <hubert@uhoreg.ca> writes:

> On Sun, 06 Apr 2014 19:49:51 -0400, Harry Putnam <reader@newsguy.com> said:
>
>> Oddly that ended poorly.... not sure why: sudo apt-get build-dep
>> emacs24
>
>>   Reading package lists... Done Building dependency tree Reading state
>> information... Done E: You must put some 'source' URIs in your
>> sources.list
>
>> I'm pretty sure I don't need source pkgs to build emacs so must be
>> something else going on.
>
> It needs the deb-src urls so that it can fetch the source package
> description to install the build dependencies.  If you don't want to add
> the deb-src urls, then you can download the dsc file manually.  Just go
> to https://packages.debian.org/sid/emacs24, and click on the .dsc file
> listed on the right-hand side.  Then look at the Build-Depends line.
> That's a list of all the packages that are needed to build.

One thing on that: The list does not mention xorg-dev.  Apparently
that would mean that xorg-dev is not a dependency then eh?

For the record, I'm not looking to 'apt-get install' emacs24, although
I'm pretty sure somewhere along the line apt-get is going to want to.
I just want to build emacs-24.4 from bzr sources myself.

I've got everything up to the 'configuring' wired.  bzr branch etc.
And have built emacs quite a few times over the last 6-7yrs or so.

Its just been such a good while this time that whatever I'd learned
has slipped out of my pea brain.

List of deps:
bsd-mailx | mailx, libncurses5-dev, texinfo, liblockfile-dev,
librsvg2-dev, libgif-dev | libungif4-dev, libtiff4-dev | libtiff-dev,
xaw3dg-dev, libpng-dev, libjpeg-dev, libm17n-dev, libotf-dev,
libgpm-dev [linux-any], libdbus-1-dev, autoconf, automake,
autotools-dev, dpkg-dev (>> 1.10.0), quilt (>= 0.42), debhelper (>=9),
libxaw7-dev, sharutils, imagemagick, libgtk-3-dev, libgnutls-dev,
libxml2-dev, libselinux1-dev [linux-any], libmagick++-dev,
libgconf2-dev, libasound2-dev [!hurd-i386 !kfreebsd-i386
!kfreebsd-amd64]

* Re: Build emacs on debian
@ 2014-04-07  1:52           ` hubert
From: hubert @ 2014-04-07  1:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Sun, 06 Apr 2014 21:28:23 -0400, Harry Putnam <reader@newsguy.com> said:

> hubert <hubert@uhoreg.ca> writes:
>> On Sun, 06 Apr 2014 19:49:51 -0400, Harry Putnam <reader@newsguy.com>
>> said:
>>
>>> Oddly that ended poorly.... not sure why: sudo apt-get build-dep
>>> emacs24
>>
>>> Reading package lists... Done Building dependency tree Reading state
>>> information... Done E: You must put some 'source' URIs in your
>>> sources.list
>>
>>> I'm pretty sure I don't need source pkgs to build emacs so must be
>>> something else going on.
>>
>> It needs the deb-src urls so that it can fetch the source package
>> description to install the build dependencies.  If you don't want to
>> add the deb-src urls, then you can download the dsc file manually.
>> Just go to https://packages.debian.org/sid/emacs24, and click on the
>> .dsc file listed on the right-hand side.  Then look at the
>> Build-Depends line.  That's a list of all the packages that are
>> needed to build.

> One thing on that: The list does not mention xorg-dev.  Apparently
> that would mean that xorg-dev is not a dependency then eh?

xorg-dev is a metapackage that installs a bunch of other development
packages, so no, it is not strictly needed.

One of the build dependencies is libxaw7-dev, which in turn depends on
libx11-dev (and others), and another build-dependency is libgtk-3-dev,
which also depends on other X development packages, so you're probably
fine.

Of course, if you want to compile a front-end that isn't included in the
Debian build (e.g. GNUstep or GTK+2), then you may need to install other
development packages.

I forgot to mention that you may also install the build-essential
package (though it may be unnecessary if you've already got its
dependencies installed).

--

@ 2014-04-07  7:48       ` Sharon Kimble
From: Sharon Kimble @ 2014-04-07  7:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Harry Putnam; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

>> Bob Proulx <bob@proulx.com> writes:

>>> The easiest thing is to start with whatever the Debian packager
>>> thought was needed for the Debian package.
>>>
>>>   # apt-get build-dep emacs24
>>>
>>> That will install the build dependencies as declared in the packaged
>>> files.  You might want something more or less but that is a good start.
>>
>> Thanks for the trusty good input sir.
>>
>> I think you may have given that same answer some mnths ago.  Sorry to
>> be a pest. This one goes in the emacs notes db.
>
> Oddly that ended poorly.... not sure why:
>  sudo apt-get build-dep emacs24
>
>   Reading package lists... Done
>   Building dependency tree
>   Reading state information... Done
>   E: You must put some 'source' URIs in your sources.list
>
> I'm pretty sure I don't need source pkgs to build emacs so must be
> something else going on.
>
> cat source.list:
>   deb http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/ jessie main contrib non-free
>   deb http://security.debian.org/ jessie/updates main contrib non-free

But there are no sources there, here is part of my sources.list
deb http://mirror.bytemark.co.uk/debian/ jessie main contrib non-free
deb-src http://mirror.bytemark.co.uk/debian/ jessie main contrib non-free

deb http://security.debian.org/ jessie/updates main contrib non-free
deb-src http://security.debian.org/ jessie/updates main contrib non-free

See the difference, mine has 'deb-src' and yours hasn't, and thats what it is
asking for.

@ 2014-04-07 15:41           ` Bob Proulx
From: Bob Proulx @ 2014-04-07 15:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Harry Putnam; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Harry Putnam wrote:
> For the record, I'm not looking to 'apt-get install' emacs24, although
> I'm pretty sure somewhere along the line apt-get is going to want to.
> I just want to build emacs-24.4 from bzr sources myself.

That is understood.  That is fine.  But you asked:

> There must have been some devel pkgs removed in the interm.
> Any debian people here who know what I'm missing?

That says that you were looking for a way to install Debian packages
to supply the dependencies for building emacs.  That is good.  That is
what I would do too.  And so we have been talking about how to install
the build dependencies using Debian packages. :-)

Of course if you really want to do it completely outside of the
package system then that is perfectly fine too.  It would be a lot of
time and effort to chase down everything.  But it will definitely
still work okay if you were to install everything in a purely from
scratch build in, say, the /usr/local directory hierarchy.  You can
build all of the dependencies from the bottom up.  That would work
fine too.  But that is a lot of work just to build emacs and it isn't
needed for building emacs.  For example at the very bottom some of the
dependencies are circular and need special attention to get
bootstrapped.  But in my opinion the hard part of the problem is
keeping everything updated after that point.  Doing it once is easy.
Maintaining them up to date is endless tedium.  Which is why I like
the package system.

In any case after you build your own from source emacs build nothing
you need in Debian will want to install emacs24 on your system.  (I
didn't say nothing but nothing you need.  If you try to install
"emacs-goodies.el" then it will try to install an emacs and so on.
But if you build your own emacs from source then you don't need to
install any of the other emacs packages either.)

Some details that most people won't care about...

Installing emacs from the pre-built Debian package would put it in
/usr/bin/emacs and all of its files in /usr/share/emacs/24.3.  Your
scratch built emacs should be anchored in /usr/local/bin/emacs and the
lisp files also anchored in /usr/local/share/emacs/XX.Y.  There won't
be a conflict between the two.  It is okay to have both installed at
the same time.  I dare say that many developers operate this way.  It
allows doing A-B comparison of features and behavior from a previous
version to a newer version easily.  Since your PATH will (or should
IMNHO) have /usr/local/bin ahead of /usr/bin then when you type in
emacs from the command line you will always get your preferred
version.  But they operate independently of each other.

The packaged version does use /usr/local/share/emacs as a place for
the local admin to install whatever they feel like manually installing
and the package version uses it.  This is good and follows the recipe
of package versions allowing the local admin to add manually add stuff
in a way that puts local unpackaged stuff in /usr/local.  I can't
remember if the scratch build emacs uses that same location or not.
Probably does.  In which case that would be a directory owned by the
local admin, will never include any packaged files, which would be
shared between the packaged version and a from scratch built version.
The package will never put anything there.  The direction of control
is from the local admin controlling the packaged version and not the
other way around.

Bob