all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* incomplete man output
@ 2015-07-22 21:09 Igor Bukanov
From: Igor Bukanov @ 2015-07-22 21:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hello,

I use Emacs 24.5.1 on Fedora 22. For some reasons when showing long
man pages Emacs cut the output at arbitrary point. For example running
man bash cuts the output at about 50%-90% abruptly terminating the
text. Running emacs with -Q does not solve this. Is this something
known?

* Re: incomplete man output
@ 2015-07-22 23:36 ` Emanuel Berg
From: Emanuel Berg @ 2015-07-22 23:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Igor Bukanov <igor@mir2.org> writes:

> I use Emacs 24.5.1 on Fedora 22. For some reasons
> when showing long man pages Emacs cut the output at
> arbitrary point. For example running man bash cuts
> the output at about 50%-90% abruptly terminating the
> text. Running emacs with -Q does not solve this.

What happens if you do 'man bash' in the shell?

Does it output the complete file?

On Debian, I have the bash man page here:

    /usr/share/man/man1/bash.1.gz

You can use 'whereis bash' to find out where, if you
feds have it somewhere else.

If the man in the shell (/usr/bin/man) outputs the
complete file (or, equivalently, the file is
consistent) then yes, you have discovered a HUGE bug.
But let's hold our breath just a little longer.

--
underground experts united
http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573

* Re: incomplete man output
@ 2015-07-23  5:18 ` Igor Bukanov
From: Igor Bukanov @ 2015-07-23  5:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

One more thing, running man bash inside Emacs terminal emulator (M-x
term) shows the full manpage. I also noticed that I have lisp code
that uses start-process, and it also started to occasionally cut its
output.