all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* decrypt a file with hidden key (EPA)
@ 2015-09-30 10:10 Philipp Haselwarter
From: Philipp Haselwarter @ 2015-09-30 10:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi,

I'm trying to use emacs to decrypt a file that was encrypted with gpg's
hidden-encrypt-to option, i.e. the file doesn't tell which key it was
encrypted for. But epa doesn't query me for a key to use during
decryption, it just fails with

> Error while decrypting with "gpg":
>
> gpg: encrypted with RSA key, ID 00000000
> gpg: decryption failed: No secret key

Can EPA be configured to deal with this? Or is there something smart in
my gpg.conf missing?

cheers,
--
Philipp Haselwarter

* Re: decrypt a file with hidden key (EPA)
       [not found] <mailman.87.1443680829.16064.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2015-10-01  7:30 ` Marco Wahl
From: Marco Wahl @ 2015-10-01  7:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Philipp Haselwarter <philipp@haselwarter.org> writes:

> I'm trying to use emacs to decrypt a file that was encrypted with gpg's
> hidden-encrypt-to option, i.e. the file doesn't tell which key it was
> encrypted for. But epa doesn't query me for a key to use during
> decryption, it just fails with
>
>> Error while decrypting with "gpg":
>>
>> gpg: encrypted with RSA key, ID 00000000
>> gpg: decryption failed: No secret key
>
> Can EPA be configured to deal with this? Or is there something smart in
> my gpg.conf missing?

+1  (I'm also interested in answers to these questions.)

Sidenote:  Actually it is possible to decrypt a file which has been
encrypted with the hidden-encrypt option by referencing the key
explicitly.  E.g. concretely

gpg --try-secret-key 3E7C2CBACBABDA5BD6995A4C49010A040A3AE6F2 encrypted.file.gpg

--
Marco Wahl
GPG: 0x49010A040A3AE6F2