Hello, With the recent news of the Magit maintainer taking a well deserved break from emacs hacking, I suggest that Emacs's package management implements a pay what you want/can model. Essentially, is it possible to create a pay-what-you-want.el package, that will store your payment credentials, and allow users to seamlessly give tiny donations to emacs developers on certain updates: ie: a new version of a package came out (Gnus 10.0), or emacs now implements threads, or emacs can now understand mental commands? I envision this package working as follows (but by no means am I dictating how it has to work): When these important milestones are reached, emacs would prompt you before downloading the package to pay what you want for these updates. Kickstarter, Indegogo, humble Indie Bundle, etc, have all proven that pay what you want can be successful, and this change would hopefully encourage users to donate more to emacs development, which in turn would foster continued improvements to Emacs (and possibly GNU and the FSF). P.S. Perhaps GNU Guix could do the same thing, and I also suggest that the documents at GNU.org also should be pay what you want. --
Joshua Branson WayPoint Web Developer jbranso.me Sent From Emacs [[https://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/]]