all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* How to get rid of horrible GUI functionality
@ 2016-03-23  6:06 Davin Pearson
From: Davin Pearson @ 2016-03-23  6:06 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

My new computer is a laptop and from time to time my fingers brush against the mouse sensor pad, causing the following window to appear:

Change Default Buffer Size
Change Buffer Font
Increase Text Size
Decrease Text Size
Reset to Default

I want to kill such pop up windows as it annoys me when I am trying to use GNU Emacs to do useful work.

Does anyone know how to go about disabling the mouse sensor pad, given that I have purchased an old fashioned mouse for GUI work.

* Re: How to get rid of horrible GUI functionality
@ 2016-03-23  6:55 ` Dale Snell
                   ` (5 subsequent siblings)
From: Dale Snell @ 2016-03-23  6:55 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Tue, 22 Mar 2016 23:06:36 -0700 (PDT), in message
cffc8040-b5aa-4c96-97b2-ab5729d1e6cf@googlegroups.com, Davin Pearson
wrote:

> My new computer is a laptop and from time to time my fingers brush
> against the mouse sensor pad, causing the following window to appear:
>
> Change Default Buffer Size
> Change Buffer Font
> Increase Text Size
> Decrease Text Size
> Reset to Default
>
> I want to kill such pop up windows as it annoys me when I am trying
> to use GNU Emacs to do useful work.
>
> Does anyone know how to go about disabling the mouse sensor pad,
> given that I have purchased an old fashioned mouse for GUI work.

Hi Davin,

Your best bet is probably to boot into your laptop's BIOS and turn
off the trackpad from there.  That's what I had to do with my old
IBM Thinkpad.

Hope this helps.

--Dale

--
"Shambling, drooling, bent on destruction and biting people's
heads off... it's either zombies or upper management." -- Ebenezer

* Re: How to get rid of horrible GUI functionality
@ 2016-03-23  7:21 ` Yuri Khan
                   ` (4 subsequent siblings)
From: Yuri Khan @ 2016-03-23  7:21 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Davin Pearson; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org

On Wed, Mar 23, 2016 at 12:06 PM, Davin Pearson <davin.pearson@gmail.com> wrote:
> My new computer is a laptop and from time to time my fingers brush against the mouse sensor pad, causing the following window to appear:
>
> Change Default Buffer Size
> Change Buffer Font
> Increase Text Size
> Decrease Text Size
> Reset to Default

This menu appears when you shift+click a buffer. If you never use it, unbind it:

(global-set-key [S-down-mouse-1] 'ignore)

> I want to kill such pop up windows as it annoys me when I am trying to use GNU Emacs to do useful work.
>
> Does anyone know how to go about disabling the mouse sensor pad, given that I have purchased an old fashioned mouse for GUI work.

That would depend on your operating system and desktop environment.

* Re: How to get rid of horrible GUI functionality
@ 2016-03-23 10:58 ` tomas
                   ` (3 subsequent siblings)
From: tomas @ 2016-03-23 10:58 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Davin Pearson; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

* Re: How to get rid of horrible GUI functionality
@ 2016-03-23 18:31   ` Bob Proulx
From: Bob Proulx @ 2016-03-23 18:31 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Davin Pearson, help-gnu-emacs

tomas@tuxteam.de wrote:
> Davin Pearson wrote:
> > My new computer is a laptop and from time to time my fingers brush
> > against the mouse sensor pad, causing the following window to
> > appear:
> > I want to kill such pop up windows as it annoys me when I am
> > trying to use GNU Emacs to do useful work.
> Apart from other's suggestions, which seem fine, if you are using a
> touchpad driven by the Synaptics driver (which seems to be pretty
> common these days), there's `synclient' which allows, among other things to
> switch on/off a synaptics touchpad.

Along these same lines I use the 'syndaemon' to turn off the touchpad
when I don't need it.  This is a halfway config that doesn't
completely disable the touchpad but doesn't completely allow it to be
on all of the time and annoy me either.  Because I also drag my palm
across the touchpad and zinging the touchpad annoying.  When typing it
will disable the touchpad but when not typing the touchpad can be used
normally.

  syndaemon -i 2 -K -p $HOME/var/run/syndaemon.pid -d
    -i 2 is the default 2 second idle before enabling touchpad
    -K ignore shift, alt, control, combinations
    -p create a pid file
    -d run as a daemon

My full config that I share between multiple devices and software
distributions is the following.  First it determines if I have the
syndaemon installed and does nothing if it is not there.  Then it
launches the daemon with a 20 second idle delay before enabling it.
(20 seconds because I often pause a while to think.)  I also instruct
it to keep a pid file in my home.  But because it doesn't leave the
pid file with the proper permissions I immediately chmod it as I
desire so that it isn't world writable.

  which syndaemon >/dev/null \
    && syndaemon -i 20 -K -p $HOME/var/run/syndaemon.pid -d \
    && chmod go-w $HOME/var/run/syndaemon.pid

Since I am very old-school I put this in a very old-school config file
that I won't mention because it is unlikely you are doing that way.
But if you put that in your .xsessionrc file I believe that is most
likely the best place for it for most people.

Bob

* Re: How to get rid of horrible GUI functionality
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2016-03-24  9:08 ` Phillip Lord
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Phillip Lord @ 2016-03-24  9:08 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Davin Pearson; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

It's better handled at OS level, if possible. Is there not a "disable
track-pad when typing" option? These work seamlessly for me.

Phil

Davin Pearson <davin.pearson@gmail.com> writes:

> My new computer is a laptop and from time to time my fingers brush against the
> mouse sensor pad, causing the following window to appear:
>
> Change Default Buffer Size
> Change Buffer Font
> Increase Text Size
> Decrease Text Size
> Reset to Default
>
> I want to kill such pop up windows as it annoys me when I am trying to use GNU
> Emacs to do useful work.
>
> Does anyone know how to go about disabling the mouse sensor pad, given that I
> have purchased an old fashioned mouse for GUI work.

* Re: How to get rid of horrible GUI functionality
                   ` (3 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2016-03-28  3:14 ` David Hansen
From: David Hansen @ 2016-03-28  3:14 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Davin Pearson <davin.pearson@gmail.com> writes:

> My new computer is a laptop and from time to time my fingers brush
> against the mouse sensor pad

If you are on GNU/Linux or similar:

(defun turn-off-mouse (&optional _frame)
  (interactive)
  (let ((default-directory "~"))
    (call-process "synclient" nil nil nil "TouchpadOff=1")))

(defun turn-on-mouse (&optional _frame)
  (interactive)
  (let ((default-directory "~"))
    (call-process "synclient" nil nil nil "TouchpadOff=0")))

(add-hook 'focus-in-hook #'turn-off-mouse)
(add-hook 'focus-out-hook #'turn-on-mouse)
(add-hook 'delete-frame-functions #'turn-on-mouse)
(add-hook 'kill-emacs-hook #'turn-on-mouse)

(global-set-key (kbd "C-c m") #'turn-on-mouse)

David

* Re: How to get rid of horrible GUI functionality
                   ` (4 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2016-04-06  2:12 ` Davin Pearson
From: Davin Pearson @ 2016-04-06  2:12 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Wednesday, March 23, 2016 at 7:06:39 PM UTC+13, Davin Pearson wrote:
> My new computer is a laptop and from time to time my fingers brush against the mouse sensor pad, causing the following window to appear:
>
> Change Default Buffer Size
> Change Buffer Font
> Increase Text Size
> Decrease Text Size
> Reset to Default
>
> I want to kill such pop up windows as it annoys me when I am trying to use GNU Emacs to do useful work.
>
> Does anyone know how to go about disabling the mouse sensor pad, given that I have purchased an old fashioned mouse for GUI work.

Thank you everyone out there who helped me to get rid of the horrible pop-up
windows and help with turning off the mouse touch pad.  My computer is so much ore usable now.

* Re: How to get rid of horrible GUI functionality
                   ` (5 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2016-04-07 22:08 ` Pascal J. Bourguignon
From: Pascal J. Bourguignon @ 2016-04-07 22:08 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

How to get rid of horrible GUI functionality:

(mapc (lambda (f) (when (fboundp (car f)) (apply (function funcall) f)))
      '((scroll-bar-mode     -1)
        (menu-bar-mode       -1)
        (tool-bar-mode       -1)
        (transient-mark-mode +1)
        (goto-address-mode   +1)))

Davin Pearson <davin.pearson@gmail.com> writes:

> My new computer is a laptop and from time to time my fingers brush
> against the mouse sensor pad, causing the following window to appear:
>
> Change Default Buffer Size
> Change Buffer Font
> Increase Text Size
> Decrease Text Size
> Reset to Default
>
> I want to kill such pop up windows as it annoys me when I am trying to use GNU Emacs to do useful work.
>
> Does anyone know how to go about disabling the mouse sensor pad, given
> that I have purchased an old fashioned mouse for GUI work.

In general, when you have problems like that, you should use C-h k

C-h k followed by the key or mouse button or trackpad anything.
This will show you
1- what key sym is generated by the event you provide,
2- what command is bound to that key.

So now you can bind this key to 'ignore or some other useful command.

For example, I have in my .emacs:

(loop for key in (list (kbd "<mouse-5>") (kbd "C-<mouse-5>") (kbd "S-<mouse-5>")
                       (kbd "<mouse-4>") (kbd "C-<mouse-4>") (kbd "S-<mouse-4>"))
     do (global-set-key key 'ignore))