all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* What is vm-visit-folder?
@ 2019-01-04 15:13 Douglas Lewan
       [not found] ` <mailman.6766.1546617061.1284.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Douglas Lewan @ 2019-01-04 15:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Somehow, I stumbled across references to the command M-x
vm-visit-folder. However, I can't find its definition or any
documentation for it. There's a declaration in mspools.el, and it has a
comment noting "External". The declaration also mentions a file called
"ext:vm-startup", which I can't find either.

I'm using GNU emacs 24.5.

I'm just curious.

--
,Doug
Douglas Lewan

* Re: What is vm-visit-folder?
@ 2019-01-04 15:50 ` Skip Montanaro
       [not found] ` <mailman.6766.1546617061.1284.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Skip Montanaro @ 2019-01-04 15:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Douglas Lewan; +Cc: Help GNU Emacs

> Somehow, I stumbled across references to the command M-x
> vm-visit-folder. However, I can't find its definition or any
> documentation for it.

"vm" is a mail reader. Not sure why it doesn't show up in the package
manager. While I've pretty much gone over the the dark side (Gmail),
vm used to be my mail reader of choice. I still invoke vm-visit-folder
to process Unix mbox format files.

Skip

* Re: What is vm-visit-folder?
       [not found] ` <mailman.6766.1546617061.1284.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2019-01-04 19:20   ` Pascal J. Bourguignon
From: Pascal J. Bourguignon @ 2019-01-04 19:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Skip Montanaro <skip.montanaro@gmail.com> writes:

>> Somehow, I stumbled across references to the command M-x
>> vm-visit-folder. However, I can't find its definition or any
>> documentation for it.
>
> "vm" is a mail reader. Not sure why it doesn't show up in the package
> manager. While I've pretty much gone over the the dark side (Gmail),
> vm used to be my mail reader of choice. I still invoke vm-visit-folder
> to process Unix mbox format files.

It may be bitrotten. I used it in emacs 22.

--
__Pascal Bourguignon__

* Re: What is vm-visit-folder?
@ 2019-01-04 19:57     ` Skip Montanaro
From: Skip Montanaro @ 2019-01-04 19:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pascal J. Bourguignon; +Cc: Help GNU Emacs

> It may be bitrotten. I used it in emacs 22.

I use it in Emacs 25 with no problem. (I use it to process saved
unsure messages for SpamBayes training on mail.python.org.)