Eli Zaretskii writes: >> From: Eric Abrahamsen >> Date: Sun, 27 Jan 2019 11:18:29 -0800 I've attached a diff adding the conversion function itself, but I'm not familiar with makefiles and so far haven't been able to figure out how to call it. It looks like the invocation I want will look like: $(AM_V_GEN)${RUN_EMACS} -l titdic-cnv -f pinyin-convert \ ${srcdir}/MISC-DIC/pinyin.map ${srcdir}/../lisp/language/pinyin.el Where ${srcdir} is the leim directory, but I don't actually know how to get this code called by make... Additionally, I could factor the common code in py-converter and pinyin-convert out into a separate defsubst. >> >> PS: pinyin.map is ancient and is missing a lot of good correspondences. >> >> Google's pinyin input method uses a much larger map, licensed with >> >> Apache v2.0. This[1] seems to indicate that Apache 2.0 is okay for Gnu >> >> projects, maybe we could consider switching to that map? >> > >> > Maybe. Unfortunately, I don't know enough about these input methods >> > to tell whether replacing the file is a good idea. I wonder who can >> > we ask about this. >> >> It's more or less a drop-in replacement -- the format of the data would >> be the same, only a bit more of it. > > I understand, but I wonder if someone could try that for a while and > see if it makes better input method(s), before we decide to import it. FWIW, that mapping is used by the pyim package, which I believe is the most popular pinyin-based Chinese input method out there. I also use it via the system-wide input framework fcitx, and it works very well. >> I'm not sure who is "in charge" of these files, though. > > No one, I'm afraid. Not these days. That's too bad. Eric