0. emacs -Q 1. Evaluate the following defcustom: (defcustom my-test "a" "Test." :type '(choice (string :tag "Use `a'" "a") (string :tag "Use `b'" "b"))) 2. M-x customize-option RET my-test RET 3. In the buffer *Customize Option: My Test* note that in the string "Use ‘a’" following the "Value Menu" button the quote marks are in the "curve" style (‘’). 4. Put point on the "Value Menu" button and type RET. 5. The buffer " widget-choose" contains these lines: 0 = Use ‘a’ 1 = Use ‘b’ Note that the quote marks in this buffer are also in the "curve" style. 6. With the mouse pointer over the "Value Menu" button press mouse-1, popping up a menu titled "Choice" containing these items: Use `a' Use `b' Note that the quote marks in this menu are in the "grave" style (`') instead of the "curve" style. The use of the "curve" style in the " widget-choose" buffer is due to commit bd3b426ebb7a60045839e97c9da9bfd249fab1f1, but that commit did not take popup menus into account. The attached patch does so. Since the status quo ante long predates emacs-29 and this is just a stylistic bug, I made the patch against master. In this patch I chose to apply substitute-command-keys just once at the beginning of the function `widget-choose', rather than several times within the function, but I restricted its application to item tags, so other uses of the ITEMS argument should not be affected (and my brief testing hasn't found any problem with the patch). The patch also takes the opportunity to replace two unnecessary uses of `let*' in `widget-choose', in one case by `let' and in the other by foregoing let-bound variables altogether and just using the values in place, since they occur only once each in the lines immediately following the eliminated `let*'. In GNU Emacs 30.0.50 (build 1, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.24.38, cairo version 1.17.6) of 2023-06-13 built on strobelfssd Repository revision: ba349aa32e98a53146794197c316f4765598ddbd Repository branch: master Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.12101008 System Description: Linux From Scratch r11.3-100-systemd Configured using: 'configure -C --with-xwidgets 'CFLAGS=-Og -g3' PKG_CONFIG_PATH=/opt/qt5/lib/pkgconfig' Configured features: ACL CAIRO DBUS FREETYPE GIF GLIB GMP GNUTLS GPM GSETTINGS HARFBUZZ JPEG JSON LCMS2 LIBSYSTEMD LIBXML2 MODULES NOTIFY INOTIFY PDUMPER PNG RSVG SECCOMP SOUND SQLITE3 THREADS TIFF TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS WEBP X11 XDBE XIM XINPUT2 XPM XWIDGETS GTK3 ZLIB