all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Why mark gnus-summary-buffer as the previous buffer when opening say a pdf attachment?
@ 2023-06-17  2:41 Yuchen Pei
From: Yuchen Pei @ 2023-06-17  2:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Referring to the following lines in `mm-display-external':

			  ;; So that we pop back to the right place, sort of.
			  (switch-to-buffer gnus-summary-buffer)
			  (switch-to-buffer mm))

I don't know how to open an attachment from the summary buffer, or
whether this is the representative usecase of opening a attachment.

But if the attachment is opened from an article buffer (e.g. an email
message), the effect of these lines is that it pops back to the "wrong"
place (list of emails) when one is done with viewing
(e.g. `quit-window').

So I wonder what is the rationale of this logic.

Best,
Yuchen

--
PGP Key: 47F9 D050 1E11 8879 9040  4941 2126 7E93 EF86 DFD0
          <https://ypei.org/assets/ypei-pubkey.txt>

* Re: Why mark gnus-summary-buffer as the previous buffer when opening say a pdf attachment?
@ 2023-06-17 15:07 ` Emanuel Berg
From: Emanuel Berg @ 2023-06-17 15:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Yuchen Pei wrote:

> I don't know how to open an attachment from the summary
> buffer

`gnus-summary-save-parts'

Here are a bunch of options that may be of use to you.

(setq mm-attachment-file-modes 420)
(setq mm-body-charset-encoding-alist '((utf-8 . 8bit)))
(setq mm-discouraged-alternatives '("text/html" "text/richtext"))
(setq mm-text-html-renderer 'w3m)

> Referring to the following lines in `mm-display-external':

Side note, speaking of Gnus: one could buttonize based on that
notation and hyperlink to the help. ERC already does that so
maybe that is something that could be brought over easily.

Actually, I even have some Gnus stuff that one can easily
bring over to ERC buttons, namely references to man pages:

  https://dataswamp.org/~incal/emacs-init/erc/erc-man.el

--
underground experts united
https://dataswamp.org/~incal