all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* .emacs
@ 2002-12-27 21:59 Oodini
From: Oodini @ 2002-12-27 21:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello,

I am reading "Programmiong with GNU tools", and so I am discovering Unix.

They say in the book that I am supposed to find in my user directory the
file .emacs. It wasn't there. So I created it and put these lines inside:

(setq c-indent-level 5)
(setq c-continued-statement-offset 5)
(setq c-argdecl-indent 0)
(setq c-brace-offset -5)
(setq c-label-offset -5)

I don't know yet EMacs, but I suppose that with this file, indents must
be 5 characters when I am in C mode. But that doesn't work...

PLease confirm the supposed behaviour of EMacs with this setup.

--
  .      .
  .  .:::.          ###           \|/        `  ___  '

* Re: .emacs
@ 2002-12-27 23:13 ` Bijan Soleymani
From: Bijan Soleymani @ 2002-12-27 23:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

Oodini <svdbg@free.fr> writes:

> Hello,
>
> I am reading "Programmiong with GNU tools", and so I am discovering Unix.
>
> They say in the book that I am supposed to find in my user directory
> the file .emacs. It wasn't there. So I created it and put these lines
> inside:
>
> (setq c-indent-level 5)
> (setq c-continued-statement-offset 5)
> (setq c-argdecl-indent 0)
> (setq c-brace-offset -5)
> (setq c-label-offset -5)
>
> I don't know yet EMacs, but I suppose that with this file, indents
> must be 5 characters when I am in C mode. But that doesn't work...

You should check the documentation for CC-mode if you want to
customize the indentation.

Bijan

* Re: .emacs
@ 2002-12-28 11:02 ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2002-12-28 11:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

Oodini <svdbg@free.fr> writes:

> I am reading "Programmiong with GNU tools", and so I am discovering Unix.
>
> They say in the book that I am supposed to find in my user directory
> the file .emacs. It wasn't there. So I created it

Good!

> and put these lines inside:
>
> (setq c-indent-level 5)

The above variable is for antique Emacsen only.  I don't remember when
this variable was obsoleted, but it must have been in the
mid-nineties.

> (setq c-continued-statement-offset 5)
> (setq c-argdecl-indent 0)
> (setq c-brace-offset -5)
> (setq c-label-offset -5)
>
> I don't know yet EMacs, but I suppose that with this file, indents
> must be 5 characters when I am in C mode. But that doesn't work...
>
> PLease confirm the supposed behaviour of EMacs with this setup.

I prefer not to try this antique code...

I suggest that you read the documentation that comes with Emacs.
It's always up to date.  In this case, C-h i access the documentation
browser, then you can TAB your way to the CC mode manual (or use the
cursor keys or the mouse) and hit RET (or middle mouse button) on the
link.  This will take you to the CC mode manual.  It contains a
description of customizing indentation.

Does this help?
--
Ambibibentists unite!

* Re: .emacs
@ 2002-12-28 11:36 ` gebser
From: gebser @ 2002-12-28 11:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs

You should tell us which operating system you are using.  Your
.emacs file will be in different locations depending upon the OS on
which it is installed.

Doing "C-h v user-init-file RETURN" should return the name of the file
you're looking for.

hth,
ken

Oodini at 22:59 (UTC+0100) on Fri, 27 Dec 2002 said:

= Hello,
=

       [not found] <mailman.662.1041076187.19936.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2002-12-28 12:21 ` Oodini
From: Oodini @ 2002-12-28 12:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

gebser@ameritech.net a écrit:
> You should tell us which operating system you are using.  Your
> .emacs file will be in different locations depending upon the OS on
> which it is installed.

I am using Emacs 21.2.1 on RedHat 8.0.

> Doing "C-h v user-init-file RETURN" should return the name of the file
> you're looking for.

It returns me the file I was modifying.
Just have to get the good parameters/values, now... :-)

--
  .      .
  .  .:::.          ###           \|/        `  ___  '

@ 2002-12-28 12:25   ` Oodini
From: Oodini @ 2002-12-28 12:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

Kai Großjohann a écrit:
> Oodini <svdbg@free.fr> writes:

>>They say in the book that I am supposed to find in my user directory
>>the file .emacs. It wasn't there. So I created it
>
> Good!

Do I deserve a candy ? :-)

>>and put these lines inside:
>>
>>(setq c-indent-level 5)
>
> The above variable is for antique Emacsen only.  I don't remember when
> this variable was obsoleted, but it must have been in the
> mid-nineties.

Hmm... The book is 5 years old.

> I prefer not to try this antique code...
>
> I suggest that you read the documentation that comes with Emacs.
>
> Does this help?

Well, I am going to read the updated doc, this time.
But so many parameters...
Not normal to spend so much time just to set up that...

Thanks anyway. :-)

--
  .      .
  .  .:::.          ###           \|/        `  ___  '

@ 2002-12-28 13:00     ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2002-12-28 13:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Oodini <svdbg@free.fr> writes:

> Well, I am going to read the updated doc, this time.
> But so many parameters...
> Not normal to spend so much time just to set up that...

Well, I think it is not fair to count the time you spent starting
from that five year old book.  First of all, the authors were not
omniscient and didn't know what Emacs would be like in five years.
Secondly, if the instructions there are wrong, then it's a problem
with the book, not with Emacs.

So how about you start counting now :-)
--
Ambibibentists unite!

* .emacs
@ 2006-12-03 13:22 Jan Brosius
From: Jan Brosius @ 2006-12-03 13:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

I am new to emacs. I use fedora Core 5 (64bit). I installed slime but it
doesn't work. Perhaps I have inserted the lisp code in a wrong file.
Where is my ~/.emacs file located?

BTW are emacs and xemacs incompatible?

Thanks
Jan

* Re: .emacs
@ 2006-12-03 15:07   ` Jan Brosius
       [not found]   ` <mailman.1458.1165158446.2155.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Jan Brosius @ 2006-12-03 15:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Harald Hanche-Olsen wrote:
> + Jan Brosius <jan.brosius@skynet.be>:
>
> | I am new to emacs. I use fedora Core 5 (64bit). I installed slime
> | but it doesn't work. Perhaps I have inserted the lisp code in a
> | wrong file. Where is my ~/.emacs file located?
>
> In your home directory, named .emacs (new to linux/unix too?).

In my home directory I have a folder named .emacs.d (/home/Jan/.emacs.d)
but it doesn't contain a file named .emacs , it contains a folder called
/home/Jan/.emacs.d/auto-save-list containing no files.

I have installed emacs with yum install emacs.

Do I have to create a .emacs file myself?

Thanks for any help.
Jan

* Re: .emacs
       [not found] <mailman.1455.1165152168.2155.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2006-12-03 15:10 ` Harald Hanche-Olsen
From: Harald Hanche-Olsen @ 2006-12-03 15:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

+ Jan Brosius <jan.brosius@skynet.be>:

| I am new to emacs. I use fedora Core 5 (64bit). I installed slime
| but it doesn't work. Perhaps I have inserted the lisp code in a
| wrong file. Where is my ~/.emacs file located?

In your home directory, named .emacs (new to linux/unix too?).

| BTW are emacs and xemacs incompatible?

They are similar, and many things work the same on the two, but there
are many differences as well.  In general, you cannot expect code
written for one to work on the other.  But slime is written to work on
both emacsen, so it shouldn't be a problem.

Once you're fairly certain that the code you installed in .emacs is
evaluated, and if you are still having trouble, this is going to turn
into a slime question.  In which case either comp.lang.lisp or the
slime-devel mailing list will be a better place to ask.

  -- Bertrand Russell

@ 2006-12-03 15:32 ` Joost Kremers
From: Joost Kremers @ 2006-12-03 15:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jan Brosius wrote:
> I am new to emacs. I use fedora Core 5 (64bit). I installed slime but it
> doesn't work. Perhaps I have inserted the lisp code in a wrong file.
> Where is my ~/.emacs file located?

the tilde character ~ is an abbreviation for your home directory. so if
your home dir is say /home/user, then ~/.emacs means /home/user/.emacs.

--
Joost Kremers                                      joostkremers@yahoo.com
EN:SiS(9

* Re: .emacs
@ 2006-12-03 16:20   ` Jan Brosius
       [not found]   ` <mailman.1458.1165158446.2155.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Jan Brosius @ 2006-12-03 16:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Harald Hanche-Olsen wrote:
> + Jan Brosius <jan.brosius@skynet.be>:
>
> | I am new to emacs. I use fedora Core 5 (64bit). I installed slime
> | but it doesn't work. Perhaps I have inserted the lisp code in a
> | wrong file. Where is my ~/.emacs file located?
>
> In your home directory, named .emacs (new to linux/unix too?).

It seems that I had to create the file ~/.emacs myself

Thanks for your help
Jan

* Re: .emacs
       [not found]   ` <mailman.1458.1165158446.2155.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2006-12-03 16:43     ` Harald Hanche-Olsen
From: Harald Hanche-Olsen @ 2006-12-03 16:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

+ Jan Brosius <jan.brosius@skynet.be>:

| In my home directory I have a folder named .emacs.d

Don't mess with that.  It's for emacs's own uses.

| Do I have to create a .emacs file myself?

That might be a good idea.  Emacs itself will help you, just type
C-x C-f .emacs and off you go.  Changes in .emacs don't take effect
until you restart emacs.

  -- Bertrand Russell

* Re: .emacs
@ 2006-12-03 16:46       ` Michaël Cadilhac