all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* hooking jode to emacs
@ 2003-12-19 21:49 kgold
From: kgold @ 2003-12-19 21:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

I'd like to use jode to decompile when editing a class file.  I found
the below elisp.  However jode is a bit too smart, and adds .class
to the end of it's argument.  So it tries to look for

	filename.class.class

I need to pass the file name without the extension.  It seems like
file-name-sans-extension is what I want, but I just don't know the
syntax.  Could someone modify this elisp to do that?

; Use this once jad is downloaded
(defvar class-file-decompile-command "jode "
  "The shell command run by `decompile-class-file'.")

(defun decompile-class-file (&optional file)
   "Run `class-file-decompile-command' on FILE, but only if it's a .class file.
 If FILE is nil, run it on `buffer-file-name'."
   (interactive "fFile: ")
   (or file (setq file buffer-file-name))
   (and (equal (file-name-extension file) "class")
        (shell-command (concat class-file-decompile-command " " file))))

(add-hook 'find-file-hooks 'decompile-class-file)

* Re: hooking jode to emacs
@ 2003-12-19 23:38 ` Kevin Rodgers
From: Kevin Rodgers @ 2003-12-19 23:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

kgold wrote:

> I'd like to use jode to decompile when editing a class file.  I found
> the below elisp.  However jode is a bit too smart, and adds .class
> to the end of it's argument.  So it tries to look for
>
> 	filename.class.class
>
> I need to pass the file name without the extension.  It seems like
> file-name-sans-extension is what I want, but I just don't know the
> syntax.  Could someone modify this elisp to do that?

It works the same way as file-name-extension, which you use.  What happens if
you just replace the reference to file in (shell-command ...) with
(file-name-sans-extension file)?

--
Kevin Rodgers

* Re: hooking jode to emacs
@ 2003-12-22 14:47   ` kgold
From: kgold @ 2003-12-22 14:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

Kevin Rodgers <ihs_4664@yahoo.com> writes:

> It works the same way as file-name-extension, which you use.  What happens if
> you just replace the reference to file in (shell-command ...) with
> (file-name-sans-extension file)?

Thanks.  The below worked.  It turns out that jode also wants the file
name without the directory path.

Two more (since emacs can do anything)

- How can I automatically set the resulting *Shell Command Output*
  buffer to java-mode.  M-x java-mode works interactively.

  My attempts at variations of this didn't work.

	(execute-extended-command 'java-mode)

- The author of jode sends two lines (his name and email address, and
  the name of the class file) to stdout.  How can I trim these two
  lines out of the buffer?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

(defun decompile-class-file (&optional file)
   "Run `class-file-decompile-command' on FILE, but only if it's a .class file.
 If FILE is nil, run it on `buffer-file-name'."
   (interactive "fFile: ")
   (or file (setq file buffer-file-name))
   (and (equal (file-name-extension file) "class")
        (shell-command (concat class-file-decompile-command " "
			       (file-name-nondirectory (file-name-sans-extension file))))))

* Re: hooking jode to emacs
@ 2003-12-22 16:13     ` Kai Grossjohann
From: Kai Grossjohann @ 2003-12-22 16:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

kgold@watson.ibm.com (kgold) writes:

> (defun decompile-class-file (&optional file)
>    "Run `class-file-decompile-command' on FILE, but only if it's a .class file.
>  If FILE is nil, run it on `buffer-file-name'."
>    (interactive "fFile: ")
>    (or file (setq file buffer-file-name))
>    (and (equal (file-name-extension file) "class")
>         (shell-command (concat class-file-decompile-command " "
> 			       (file-name-nondirectory (file-name-sans-extension file))))))

Maybe it's better to use call-process instead of shell-command.  Hm.
Oh, no it's not necessary, you can specify a buffer for the output of
the shell command.

Maybe like this:

(set-buffer (create-file-buffer (concat (file-name-sans-extension file)
                                        ".java")))
(shell-command (concat class-file-decompile-command " "
                       (file-name-nondirectory (file-name-sans-extension file)))
               t        ; output to current buffer
               nil)     ; stderr goes to same buffer as stdout
(java-mode)

What do you think?

Regarding the two extra lines, maybe you're lucky and the output goes
to stderr, so you can just specify a buffer instead of nil for the two
extra lines.  If not, you can always do (goto-char (point-min))
followed by (kill-line 2) to delete the first two lines.

Kai

* Re: hooking jode to emacs
@ 2003-12-22 19:40       ` kgold
From: kgold @ 2003-12-22 19:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

Kai Grossjohann <kai@emptydomain.de> writes:
> [great suggestions]

This version puts the output in a .class.java buffer and eliminates
the two extra jode lines.

It works for classes that aren't in a package.

For classes in a package, passing the file name without the directory
is wrong.  Rather, one must discard only from the current working
directory up toward the root, and then create a relative path by
replacing the Unix "/" directory separator with the Java separator
".".

Anyone have too much free time?  :-)

(defun decompile-class-file (&optional file)
   "Run `class-file-decompile-command' on FILE, but only if it's a .class file.
 If FILE is nil, run it on `buffer-file-name'."
   (interactive "fFile: ")
   (or file (setq file buffer-file-name))
   (and (equal (file-name-extension file) "class")
	(set-buffer (create-file-buffer (concat (file-name-sans-extension file)
						".class.java")))
	(shell-command (concat class-file-decompile-command " "
			       (file-name-nondirectory (file-name-sans-extension file)))
	t			; output to current buffer
	nil)			; stderr goes to same buffer as stdout
	(java-mode)
	(goto-char (point-min))
	(kill-line 2)
    )
)

* Re: hooking jode to emacs
@ 2003-12-22 21:16         ` Kai Grossjohann
From: Kai Grossjohann @ 2003-12-22 21:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

kgold@watson.ibm.com (kgold) writes:

> For classes in a package, passing the file name without the directory
> is wrong.  Rather, one must discard only from the current working
> directory up toward the root, and then create a relative path by
> replacing the Unix "/" directory separator with the Java separator
> ".".

Sounds as if the argument should be a fully qualified class name; but
then you don't know how many elements to include in the name.  Hm.

Kai

* Re: hooking jode to emacs
@ 2003-12-23 17:59           ` Kevin Rodgers
From: Kevin Rodgers @ 2003-12-23 17:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

Kai Grossjohann wrote:

> kgold@watson.ibm.com (kgold) writes:
>>For classes in a package, passing the file name without the directory
>>is wrong.  Rather, one must discard only from the current working
>>directory up toward the root, and then create a relative path by
>>replacing the Unix "/" directory separator with the Java separator
>>".".
>
> Sounds as if the argument should be a fully qualified class name; but
> then you don't know how many elements to include in the name.  Hm.

The package-qualified class name corresponds to a directory-qualified file

name, but that is relative to some project root directory, right?  So Ken
should be able to do something like

(subst-char-in-string ?. ?/ (file-relative-name buffer-file-name
                                                 project-directory))

--
Kevin Rodgers

* Re: hooking jode to emacs
@ 2003-12-23 20:22             ` Kevin Rodgers
From: Kevin Rodgers @ 2003-12-23 20:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

Kevin Rodgers wrote:

> The package-qualified class name corresponds to a directory-qualified file
> name, but that is relative to some project root directory, right?  So Ken
> should be able to do something like
>
> (subst-char-in-string ?. ?/ (file-relative-name buffer-file-name
>                                                 project-directory))

Oops, I got the FROMCHAR and TOCHAR arguments backward.

--
Kevin Rodgers

* Re: hooking jode to emacs
@ 2003-12-25 16:28             ` Kai Grossjohann
From: Kai Grossjohann @ 2003-12-25 16:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

Kevin Rodgers <ihs_4664@yahoo.com> writes:

> The package-qualified class name corresponds to a directory-qualified file
> name, but that is relative to some project root directory, right?

My unspoken assumption was that it is difficult to find out what's the
project root directory.

Merry Christmas,
Kai

* Re: hooking jode to emacs
@ 2003-12-29 21:38               ` Kevin Rodgers
From: Kevin Rodgers @ 2003-12-29 21:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

Kai Grossjohann wrote:

> Kevin Rodgers <ihs_4664@yahoo.com> writes:
>>The package-qualified class name corresponds to a directory-qualified file
>>name, but that is relative to some project root directory, right?
>
> My unspoken assumption was that it is difficult to find out what's the
> project root directory.

In general, yes.  But it'd be easy to store it in an environment variable or

a .project file.

--
Kevin Rodgers