all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* cwarn-mode cause syntax highlighting lost. is this emacs bug?
@ 2004-07-16  4:03 Felix
From: Felix @ 2004-07-16  4:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

after M-x cwarn-mode, most of the c/c++ syntax highlighting is lost,
except for the comments.  i also tried "emacs -q" and still have the
same problem.

i'm using the cvs version of emacs, is this an emacs bug? or did i
miss something?

* Re: cwarn-mode cause syntax highlighting lost. is this emacs bug?
@ 2004-07-16  6:20 ` Klaus Zeitler
From: Klaus Zeitler @ 2004-07-16  6:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

    Felix> after M-x cwarn-mode, most of the c/c++ syntax highlighting is lost,
    Felix> except for the comments.  i also tried "emacs -q" and still have the
    Felix> same problem.

Comments and Strings, that's what I still see.

    Felix> i'm using the cvs version of emacs, is this an emacs bug? or did i
    Felix> miss something?

I think this is a bug in CVS emacs, that must have been introduced recently.
The same happens when you use hi-lock-mode. I already did send a bug report
for hi-lock-mode about 10 days ago, but haven't gotten any response so far
(with Subject "No highlight of keywords when hi-lock-mode is called").
Please send a bug report to emacs-pretest-bug@gnu.org (maybe you could hint
at my bug report).

Klaus

|  Klaus Zeitler      Lucent Technologies  |
---
The way to make a small fortune in the commodities
market is to start with a large fortune.

* Re: cwarn-mode cause syntax highlighting lost. is this emacs bug?
@ 2004-07-16  8:04   ` Thorsten Bonow
From: Thorsten Bonow @ 2004-07-16  8:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

    Felix> after M-x cwarn-mode, most of the c/c++ syntax highlighting is lost,
    Felix> except for the comments.  i also tried "emacs -q" and still have the
    Felix> same problem.

Hi,

it appears to be a bug in CVS emacs, related to font-lock-add-keywords. I just
updated via CVS, no fix yet.

    Klaus> [...] Please send a bug report to emacs-pretest-bug@gnu.org (maybe
    Klaus> you could hint at my bug report).

Oliver Scholz already posted, no reply yet. I include his message below because
it contains a small test...

Toto

CVS from today: Starting from emacs -q --no-site-file eval the
following:

-------------------------
(progn
  (switch-to-buffer (generate-new-buffer "*tmp*"))
  (emacs-lisp-mode)
  (font-lock-mode 1)
  ;; This is the evildoer:
  (font-lock-add-keywords nil '(("lirum larum" . font-lock-warning-face)))
  ;; Examples:
  (insert ";; Strings and comments work o.k.:\n" "\"this is a string\"\n\n")
  (insert ";; The new keyword is highlighted correctly:\n" "lirum larum\n\n")
  (insert ";; But this is not hightlighted correctly:\n")
  (insert "(defun lirum-larum ()\n  (save-excursion\n    (message \"lirum larum\"))))"))

--
Contact information and PGP key at
http://www-users.rwth-aachen.de/thorsten.bonow

But if you're paranoid long enough, sooner or later you're gonna be
right.

Friedman, Kinky (1993), A case of Lone Star. New York (Wings Books),
325