all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* problem with emacs shell mode
@ 2004-09-21 14:35 Jay Cotton
From: Jay Cotton @ 2004-09-21 14:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello,

I am trying to use a version of emacs for OS X. (version 21.3.5 from
Mindlube.com ( http://mindlube.com/products/emacs/index.html ))

Everything was working great, and I started to think I was finally in
emacs paradise, and then I opened a shell buffer with M-x shell. The
problem I encountered is that the shell seems to hold onto output of
the underlying processes without displaying it on the screen. So, for
instance, if I run the unix command 'units' at the shell prompt,
instead of prompting me for what unit I have (which is what the program
is supposed to do), it appears to hang. The only time it will show the
output (that I'm aware of) is when the underlying process ends. As a
result, programs like 'ls' appear to work because they aren't
interactive - they end almost as soon as they are started and their
output appears immediately in the buffer. But none of my interactive
shell scripts work. :(

Anybody have any idea what I might do to fix this?

Jay

* Re: problem with emacs shell mode
       [not found] <mailman.3465.1095777738.1998.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2004-09-21 14:56 ` Ian Zimmerman
From: Ian Zimmerman @ 2004-09-21 14:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jay> Everything was working great, and I started to think I was finally
Jay> in emacs paradise, and then I opened a shell buffer with M-x
Jay> shell. The problem I encountered is that the shell seems to hold
Jay> onto output of the underlying processes without displaying it on
Jay> the screen. So, for instance, if I run the unix command 'units' at
Jay> the shell prompt, instead of prompting me for what unit I have
Jay> (which is what the program is supposed to do), it appears to
Jay> hang. The only time it will show the output (that I'm aware of) is
Jay> when the underlying process ends. As a result, programs like 'ls'
Jay> appear to work because they aren't interactive - they end almost as
Jay> soon as they are started and their output appears immediately in
Jay> the buffer. But none of my interactive shell scripts work. :(

Tweaking process-connection-type might help, but no promises.  OS X
is weird, as I am learning on my own, unfortunately :-(

--
"It's not true or not."  A reality show producer (real quote)

* Re: problem with emacs shell mode
@ 2004-09-21 15:29 Jay Cotton
From: Jay Cotton @ 2004-09-21 15:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

It worked! I set it to true in my .emacs and now it works like a charm.
Thanks a bunch!

(setq process-connection-type t)