all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Emacs mail client + offlineimap?
@ 2006-07-31  5:14 Joseph Le-Phan
From: Joseph Le-Phan @ 2006-07-31  5:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

I've been trying (fruitlessly) to get offlineimap maildir's to be
accessible by gnus. I've since given up on the idea, and, while gnus is
a fantastic news reader, I can't seem to make it also my preferred email
reader, so I'm considering using a separate mail reader.

Short of locally serving my offlineimap repo as an imap server itself
(with courier-imap or other), can I use an emacs-based email reader to
access my offlinimap maildir's instead? Can anybody recommend such a
reader?

Thanks
--
Joseph Le-Phan <five0.oss at gmail.com> [GPG key: 292E09A0]

* Re: Emacs mail client + offlineimap?
@ 2006-08-05  5:39 ` Bill Wohler
From: Bill Wohler @ 2006-08-05  5:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

Joseph Le-Phan <five0.oss@gmail.com> writes:

> Short of locally serving my offlineimap repo as an imap server itself
> (with courier-imap or other), can I use an emacs-based email reader to
> access my offlinimap maildir's instead? Can anybody recommend such a
> reader?

MH-E[1] coupled with GNU mailutils[1] (MH with IMAP support) might
work for you. Another approach, which I use, is to use fetchmail to
download IMAP mailboxes.

1. Built into the upcoming Emacs 22 or http://mh-e.sourceforge.net/.
2. http://www.gnu.org/software/mailutils/

* Re: Emacs mail client + offlineimap?
@ 2006-08-14  0:29 ` John Sullivan
From: John Sullivan @ 2006-08-14  0:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

Joseph Le-Phan <five0.oss@gmail.com> writes:

> I've been trying (fruitlessly) to get offlineimap maildir's to be
> accessible by gnus. I've since given up on the idea, and, while gnus is
> a fantastic news reader, I can't seem to make it also my preferred email
> reader, so I'm considering using a separate mail reader.
>
> Short of locally serving my offlineimap repo as an imap server itself
> (with courier-imap or other), can I use an emacs-based email reader to
> access my offlinimap maildir's instead? Can anybody recommend such a
> reader?

I guess I do what you don't want to do, which is run a local IMAP server
(courier), which I then access via nnimap in gnus.

Using offlineimap, I sync the local maildirs with those on the mail server that
actually receives the incoming mail.

My understanding is that nnmaildir won't work with offlineimap maildirs because
nnmaildir doesn't use the standard maildir flags. I think there is a script
floating around on the internets somewhere that will turn the nnmaildir
metadata into flags that can be understood by other maildir programs.

--
-John Sullivan
-http://www.wjsullivan.net

* Re: Emacs mail client + offlineimap?